Region free Saturn Games / Demos (and multiple regions)

Discussion in 'Rare and Obscure Gaming' started by Madroms, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Madroms

Madroms Robust Member

I spent some times this week to make a list of all the region free / multiple region games and demos for Saturn. As this is a question which comes from time to time, I thought it was good to make a list once and for all.

The list is available here: http://www.satakore.com/regionfree.php

You will see there are "a lot of" US games that work on a japanese unit.

2. kendrick

kendrick Enthusiastic Member

It's my experience that the original US release of Gungriffon also runs on a JPN-region Saturn with no modification. Takes advantage of the MPEG card too, if I recall correctly. Try it out and add it to the list if you get the same result I do.

3. Madroms

Madroms Robust Member

I just tested the copy I have for the US version of gun griffon (I will also receive another copy soon) and it doesn't run on a japanese saturn.
    Also, only the japanese version of the game takes advantage of the MPEG card, the other versions do not have the opening movie in MPEG format (most of the time found in a mode2 data track).

Could you recheck your copy of gun griffon or does anyone can confirm this ? Maybe there are 2 versions of the US game ?!

4. kendrick

Certainly. I'll have an opportunity to test on a JPN-region Saturn this Sunday. If I am remembering correctly and it does work, I'll post the part number in this discussion thread.

5. AntiPasta

AntiPasta Fiery Member

if I remember right, I read that the US version of Gungriffon does have the file somewhere on the disc - it just has another extension.

6. Madroms

Madroms Robust Member

AntiPasta, I just checked again my gun griffon copy and the biggest files on it are END.AVI and OPN.AVI which are the 2 movies in Avi Truemotion S format. The next biggest file is less than 900k, so no MPEG file on the US version of the game.

7. AntiPasta

AntiPasta Fiery Member

Ah, I suppose you are right then.

8. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

Virtua Racing no region lock

9. Smithy

Smithy Spirited Member

NiGHTS played on my JP saturn without any modification if I recall...

10. kendrick

Apologies, I appear to have been mistaken. I can't get my copy of GunGriffon to run on my JPN-region white Saturn. I can't remember the circumstances that would cause me to remember otherwise, unless there are multiple versions of the game released here.

11. Muffinman943

Muffinman943 Spirited Member

not really a game or demo, but the black system disc is region free

12. Anthaemia.

Anthaemia. The Original VF3 Fangirlâ„¢

Only the first copies of NiGHTS lacked region coding, if memory serves me correctly.

13. Smithy

Smithy Spirited Member

I guess I must have had one of the first copies then =). At first, I thought I somehow had a region-free Saturn, but this board quickly corrected me otherwise..

14. Madroms

Madroms Robust Member

Yep, all of the dev cd are region free: system disc, duck truemotion dev disc,...

For Nights, only the US version works also on japanese Saturn (but not on european one). But I never found multiple revision for it so I don't think there were 2 or more different copies for it for the same part of the world.
    Smithy, you probably just have the US version of Nights which is compatible with JPN saturn.