Raspberry Pi Zero (1) Mame Performance

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by LeHaM, Jul 30, 2017.

1. LeHaM

LeHaM Site Soldier

I want to install a Pi Zero into a usb arcade stick and use something like retro Pi or whatever..

I only want to play Arcade games on it, like MVS titles and other more advanced HDD based games like Gauntlet Legends..

All versions of Pi are expensive here, like $60 for a Pi 2 :/
    I can pick up a non Wifi Pi Zero for about $15, don't care about wifi. I kinda just want to make a sort of plug and play..

EDIT: or should I try the Orange Pi?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  2. awesomeNES

awesomeNES Peppy Member

You'll be fine with a Raspberry pi zero for mame. You'll run into trouble with psx, though!

LeHaM likes this.
  3. rso

rso Gone. See y'all elsewhere, maybe.

Orange Pi is a pretty decent platform too (just make sure it has HDMI, not every model does). I'd say pick whatever's cheapest.

LeHaM likes this.
  4. LeHaM

LeHaM Site Soldier

The videos I've seen of the PI zero show it running mame pretty bad but I don't know if that's a bad emulator (think the OS uses RetroArch)

5. rso

The Zero's comparable to an overclocked first-gen Pi (i.e. not the best, I'd rather go with at least a Pi2 tbh) while the OPi has a much more advanced quad(?)-core H3 CPU, but much less of a community if you think you're gonna need support.

LeHaM likes this.
  6. MottZilla

MottZilla Champion of the Forum

Gauntlet Legends on MAME will run terribly if at all on the Raspberry Pi. My old Core 2 DUO couldn't run it full speed, not a chance that the RPi will. Not to mention that the latest versions of MAME aren't generally available for the Raspberry Pi. I think it's mainly older versions of MAME which can cause issues when looking for romsets because they've changed or had files renamed.

Running NeoGeo MVS titles is something a Raspberry Pi can do. The FBA emulator would probably offer better performance than the MAME ports. If you're serious about MAME and 3D titles you'll want to get an actual PC system for that.

7. Mystical

Mystical Resolute Member

Does it have to be a PiZero - could you not do something similar with a Pi3 - personally I find the emulation for NeoGeo on the Pi3 to be very very good - some purists may disagree but for quickly having a blast on Metal Slug etc. its perfect

LeHaM likes this.
  8. rso

> Does it have to be a PiZero
    poorfags gonna poor :p
    Tho I do find the "can't get one for less than $60" really hard to believe. You have internet, right? Grab a Pi3 plus 2 SNES controllers for $45 right here. If customs happens to steal it, get a refund, try again.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  9. LeHaM

LeHaM Site Soldier

$60 AUD
    sorry should have been more clear on that

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
  10. LeHaM

LeHaM Site Soldier

Hmmm maybe I'll just go with a Pi3, I plan on making a video about it so a Pi3 is probably more familiar to most people

thanks everyone :)

ahh i see.. had a feeling it was just the game being hard to emulate.. Tried it on my i3 HTPC and it was like 60% speed with audio cuts :(

I don't mind what emulator I use, so long as it fits my "plug and play" idea :)

11. rso

I know it's not quite the same, but the N64 or PS1 version of GL might work okay. On a Pi2 or better at least.

LeHaM likes this.
  12. LeHaM

LeHaM Site Soldier

hmmm I think actually I'll get a Pi Zero and if it is not good for the task maybe ill convert it into a dreamcast modem to lan box (forgot the name of that project)

13. awesomeNES

awesomeNES Peppy Member

Honestly, you're gonna get the best experience with a Pi3 for gaming. Earlier when i said the zero would be fine, I was being too generous. It would work, but you're probably gonna have issues with a lot of games. Try to shop around for the best price on a pi3 or find a used one. It'll be much better.

LeHaM likes this.
  14. MottZilla

Even the Pi 3 has its limits of course. It all depends on what exactly you're trying to do. The Pi 3 is great for a portable retro emulation box. But as you get into newer and more powerful or complicated systems you're going to need more computing power to run those with enjoyable results as you noticed with Gauntlet Legends in MAME. Plus as I mentioned some of the emulators you might be using on the Pi are out of date/old versions that may have issues that were later resolved.

If you are making some kind of Arcade Cabinet or Retro Emulation box you should consider actual PC hardware. If you need to compact portability of the Pi and you can live with its limitations it's still pretty nice.

15. LeHaM

LeHaM Site Soldier

Thanks for the info :) I'm building inside this arcade stick :)

16. MottZilla

Well then the Pi 3 is probably one of the best options to fit into it.

awesomeNES likes this.