Raspberry Pi arcade machine?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by YoshiApocalypse, Jan 22, 2017.

1. YoshiApocalypse

YoshiApocalypse Member

Does anyone here have Raspberry Pi running emulators? I'm aware it's capable of handling pretty much PS1 and behind. I just want to know if it's actually worth buying to preload a bunch of retro games or would i be better off buying a intel compute stick (Allot more powerful ~$80) that plugs directly into your TV.

2. BLUamnEsiac

BLUamnEsiac ɐɹnɔsqO ʇᴉq-8

I have both and will say that's a little up to you in what you aim to emulate. A compute stick is about as powerful as a netbook or low end laptop. It's definitely far and above RPi, but as you've said, the price is higher. If you're planning on getting a streaming or media center device down the road and haven't got one yet, the compute stick will be the better choice since it could play that role as well as emulation device.

3. Fandangos

Fandangos <B>Site Supporter 2013</B>

The Pi also got some "upgrades" that can output 15khz resolutions so if you plan on using old CRT monitors it's the way to go.

I have no knowledge of any PC stick that has VGA output that could be hacked to enabled 15khz output.
    Even if a PC stick gets a VGA port I bet the onboard video chip wouldn't allow such low pixel clock configurations.

.... and I know the OP didn't mentioned CRT but I thought this might be useful information.

BLUamnEsiac likes this.
  4. BLUamnEsiac

BLUamnEsiac ɐɹnɔsqO ʇᴉq-8

Correct, every compute stick I've seen is HDMI only. And since there isn't USB-C support, I don't see any way they can use any form of VGA.

Fandangos likes this.
  5. YoshiApocalypse

YoshiApocalypse Member

Ok thank you I may just buy a computer stick. Me personally i think it will be worth paying a little extra. Considering it more powerful and it comes preloaded with Windows 10. You'll be able to do more with it (software).Latter down the road I can always use it as a normal portable computer if needed. considering i don't have a laptop.

6. GodofHardcore

GodofHardcore Paragon of the Forum *

I have Tons of problems with Retro Pie, between Scape data mysteriously vanishing to CPS2 games suddenly not working. I'd get something else.Oh and the Arcade Comparability is a joke and the default MAME has issues with button mapping.

I'm going to turn my existing Pi3 into some Roku Clone.

YoshiApocalypse likes this.