Rarest thing you own thread

Discussion in 'Rare and Obscure Gaming' started by ASSEMbler_archived, Apr 24, 2007.

1. mallen

mallen Newly Registered

2. Syclopse

Syclopse .

I think his was SN 2234 and didn't have the controllers.

3. GoTeamScotch

GoTeamScotch Rapidly Rising Member

Nope

@Syclopse - is that a fact? Huh, I guess in don't feel as bad for not getting one with it.

Still want to get one though!

4. Syclopse

Syclopse .

5. AUSTIN PEYTON

AUSTIN PEYTON Robust Member

I live by that famous Boxart. Its awesome. Nice finds. :)

6. atarimaster001

atarimaster001 Active Member

How would you feel about helping me import a copy to the US xD

7. Ed Hunter

Ed Hunter Site Supporter 2015. Site Patron.

I have a thing for failed consoles. I recently purchased a Windows version of the Envizions EVO Smart Console to go with my Phantom and Zeebo. I'm not sure this is the rarest one I have, but it's my most recent buy and I love it. M 20160726_221957.jpg 20160726_231853.jpg 20160726_232033.jpg 20160726_232115.jpg

8. mallen

mallen Newly Registered

9. Ed Hunter

Sadly, they didn’t finish any games. I have a beta copy of the only game I know of that leaked out. It's not what I would call a good game, but it's one more game than my Phantom plays. It's too bad really because it's actually a good quality piece of equipment. It puts most of my other failed consoles to shame.

20160726_231425.jpg 20160726_231435.jpg

10. kennypecheur

kennypecheur Site Supporter 2016

The unit itself looks great ! Never heard of it. Need to know more about it.

11. myloch

myloch Active Member

I heard that Evo Smart Console was sold with a bundle of 3 games: Kid Destiny, Kobo Deluxe and Supertux. Curiously I noticed in the cdrom pic that windows version of Kid Destiny is called Super Maryo Chronicles.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  12. Uroko Sakanabito

Uroko Sakanabito Rapidly Rising Member

Fujtsu FMV Towns H200
    Latest model with 200mhz afaik only used as schooling model with this clock speed.
    Upgraded with AMD K6 400mhz, 128mb ram, usb and Voodoo Banshee.
    Should be the only FM Towns in the world that runs Quake 2 in 1024x768 GL mode >_<

13. Ed Hunter

I read the same thing you did about the 3 bundled games included with the EVO. Most of my research through the published materials indicated that 3 games were either pre installed on the HDD or could be downloaded through the GameBox service for free. At this point I can't say for sure if the 3 games were actually "bundled" with the console or not. No games were bundled with my EVO and after 6 years of searching I have no evidence that any of the games or the GameBox service made it past the beta testing. No one seems to have any information about the fate of SuperTux or Kobo Deluxe. There are also several other inconsistencies with the EVO bundle I bought and a few quality issues also including:

(a) The outer cardboard box clearly says its a Linux version, but there is a small piece of tape on the box lid with hand written information about the Windows version installed, which seems to match what is actually installed on the console;
    (b) All of the accessories included are Logitech instead of the promised EVO branded accessories. The accessories do look just like the EVO branded accessories, but they don't have the EVO logo;
    (c) The instruction manual looks like a bound photocopy and were clearly a work in progress;
    (d) The cover art for Kid Destiny wasn't professionally printed. The art is very grainy and appears to have been printed on standard glossy paper.
    (e) The EVO console uses a type B electric plug instead of the type C, F, or L plugs used in Spain and Italy, which is where most (possibly all) the EVO consoles were shipped. I found mine in Spain.

Based on the package I received, it looks like the company attempted to fill some of the pre orders at the last minute with the materials they had available. It definitely wasn't exactly what I was expecting. That said, the other 2 EVO owners I've come across in the last 6 years prepared me for the issues with what I might find and my experience was consistent with what I was told. Ultimately, I understand the EVO was on it's last legs when the product launch allegedly occurred. Even though the whole package didn't precisely match up with my research, the console far exceeded my expectations. In my experience with failed consoles anything that makes it out the door is usually far different than the promotional materials.

14. myloch

myloch Active Member

*delete me please*

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
  15. myloch

myloch Active Member

I'm quite curious about what win version they used, is it standard or custom? I thought evo consoles were only sold with custom linux build, but I heard it was possible to format harddrive and install another Os. It sounds like what they did with your machine, is this used, right? I would call it minipc rather than console though.

Oh by the way supertux and kobo deluxe are free, opensource games and can easily be found on Google

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
  16. Ed Hunter

I have a different understanding of the operating systems available on the EVO Smart Console. The materials published just before the launch in 11/08 clearly state that 2 distinct versions of the EVO would be shipped, one with a custom Linux OS and the other with Windows. Furthermore, in follow up interviews as recently as 2012 the former CEO, Derrick Samuels verified that both Windows and Linux versions of the EVO were shipped. See the following links for more information:

http://m.marketwired.com/press-release/envizions-system-of-tomorrow-is-set-for-release-922607.htm

http://www.thunderboltgames.com/feature/an-interview-with-envizions-founder-derrick-samuels

I believe the EVO Smart Console I purchased is running a standard version of Windows Vista with some custom splash screens. As for the suggestion the seller formatted the HDD and installed Windows, it's not something I care to speculate on. I would have been pleased if my EVO came with Linux Mirrors because the Windows version supposedly had less functionality on the EVO. More specifically, the Windows version wouldn't have supported the games developed by Envizions.

Although the Wiki has some information about the EVO, I thought it was incomplete and misleading in some areas. I found it helpful to read the articles and announcements in date order especiallly when reconciling the items in the box versus the advertised claims. That said, there are still many things that are unclear to me. For example, my EVO doesn't have the biometric security features that were promised.

Thanks for the information regarding Supertux and Kobo Deluxe. I think that I still have copies for a linux box I have hanging around here. My understanding is that Envizions planned on developing thier own games for the EVO console and the 3 games bundled with the console would be customized by the Envizions team. I've been wondering why they didn't just load the freeware versions of all 3 games onto the hard drive. It seems like it would have been easy enough to do.

Hopefully, some hard facts about the EVO will come to light in the years to come. I'm trying to track down some of the EVO prototypes and related company materials. I'm also hoping to speak with the founder Derrick Samuels at some point. I was lucky enough to buy my Phantom from Tim Roberts and he was enormously helpful in filling in the blanks regarding the Phantom. It would be great if Derrick was willing do to the same. - Eddie

17. eb1560

eb1560 <B>Site Supporter 2014</B>

I am more of a hardware collector myself. Earlier this year I got my hands on this gem (not as rare as many other items out there), the serial number on the bottom revealed its rarity as an early revision console (NUJ10001324) - I had to acquire this N64. When opening the console, the motherboard appeared to be the first commercially produced revision distributed in Japan "NUS-CPU-01 •" - this revision was intended for store kiosks and for 3rd parties to evaluate/demo, If I am not mistaken. Accompanying the console was an early AC adapter, not much different than the other Japanese AC adapters - aside from some seemingly fancier bulk capacitors on the DC output.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  18. Tyree_Cooper

Tyree_Cooper Robust Member

Nice one! The only Japanese N64 I have is a NUS-CPU-03. I'm happy with anything below 05 :)

19. Buyatari

Buyatari Well Known Member

Videogame art is my #1 collecting goal these days. Every piece is one of a kind so when it comes to rarity they are equal.
    If you know of any available I'm always interested in seeing what you have.

Here is an Atari painting that I purchased directly from the original Atari artist Cliff Spohn.
    It borrows a little bit from multiple Atari game boxes for a spectacular image. This was his last painting for Atari and it features a self portrait in the chess player. It is an homage to Atari and his previous work there. It is hard to get a decent image due the size and unfortunately needs to be seen in person if you want to do it any justice.

The image was published by Atari on the Hi score pad and in Atari catalogs.

Cliff is selling prints and even shower curtains with this image if you are interested in one.

http://fineartamerica.com/featured/ahta-dee-or-atari-a-self-portrait-cliff-spohn.html

The original is pictured below. See the dollar bill in the lower right corner for an idea on the size.

[​IMG]

Kao and Tripredacus like this.
  20. Buyatari

Buyatari Well Known Member

Not a print. Not a poster. This is THE iconic painting by Julie Bell.

Private sale but I had to outbid another interested party to bring this one home.
    Later I found out who else was interested...Apologizes to the guys at ID software.

[​IMG]

bond.san, DeChief and Syclopse like this.