Radiant Silvergun for the Sony PlayStation 1

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by mdmx, Jul 2, 2006.

1. Baseley09

Baseley09 Resolute Member

Playstation probably has more and better 2D games than the Saturn.

Capcom, SNK fighters & Garregga aside.

2. Alchy

Alchy Illustrious Member

I've got a start-finish of it in something like 2 minutes on my hdd somewhere. It is somewhat discouraging to see.

I'm still stuck fairly early on, you know right from the start that it's one of those games that's going to take bloody ages... I'm prepared to guess that the learning curve is long and consistent, too.

If you want to try somthing similar (but a lot more basic), check out Gambare Natsuke San. Less physics but still fun. Free download for PC.

3. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Lemon Party Organizer and Promoter

I will check that out. If you want the lot of videos, I can stick them somewhere for you. Probably a couple of hundred megs altogether. Amazing to watch. I actually did 1CC the game (just barely) but I look like a complete n00b compared to those videos. He does stuff I didn't know was possible.

4. Alchy

Alchy Illustrious Member

You mean single life it? I actually made it through to the first door that shows the credits today, after all this conversation. I could imagine doing that on 1 life without too much hassle.

I'd be very interested in seeing whatever videos you've got - if you need a dump for them I've got a bit of space, PM me.

5. GaijinPunch

One life? No, I suck too bad for that. 1CC = 1 Coin Clear. Generally a term used for sticking the game on it's defaults, and going through. This is a special case though, as you have 10 lives and no continues...ever.

6. Alchy

Alchy Illustrious Member

Yeah, I figured it was a 1 credit abbreviation, wasn't sure how to factor that into it. Pretty sure it's 9 lives incidentally (you display 8 from the start, carry on on 0).

It struck me earlier that I don't actually play the game for fun, necessarily - I play it to practise. The physics system is just inherently enjoyable when you get it right.

7. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

Err, come on Baseley09, now that's just not true :dance: Seriously though, I strongly doubt it.

Yakumo

8. Baseley09

Baseley09 Resolute Member

Believe it, outside the 4mb & other SNK, Capcom games.........

the likes of Advance VG's are the same, DoDonPachi better.....theres more on PSX thats for sure just because theres more games overall.

The quality of the big hitting 2D fighters might balance it out for Saturn.

9. GaijinPunch

More games? Definitely. More 2D games? Probably. More high quality 2D games? Debatable, at best. I would never used Advanced VG, or any other titty-fighter game to boast about a library though. And the Pachi's are just an example. There are definitely others mentioned in this thread, and quite a few more. The PSX version of Soukyugurentai is known to be a pile of shit compared to the Saturn one, and is a very beloved game.

Here is a great thread which points out defficiencies of Saturn and PSX ports (mostly 2D).

Last edited: Jul 6, 2006
  10. karsten

karsten Member of The Cult Of Kefka

saturn can make better 2d graphics even without the extra cards.... probably it was due to his graphic chip or the way it could hendle sprites but this is for sure

11. GaijinPunch

"coulda, shoulda, woulda". As everyone has pointed out, the PS has many "Saturn-level" quality 2D games. You can make the Saturn look better in 3D on paper if you want to. We're talking about actual games that are out there.

12. Yakumo

No irony because I hate RSG. In fact I don't like Ikaruga either :nod: Both are over hyped in my book.

Yakumo

13. GaijinPunch

Glad I don't read your book. :)

Oh ,yeah -- here's a more complete thread of bad conversions. Unfortunately, it's SS and DC... no Playstation.
    CLick

14. Yakumo

Thanks for the list GaijinPunch. Some interesting reading there. I can't help but feel however that these people who look for such tinny differences are anal beyond belief. I mean, you must have to look pretty hard to find 1 or 2 missing frames of animation.

Yakumo

15. Anthaemia.

Anthaemia. The Original VF3 Fangirlâ„¢

That list is definitely nitpicking when it comes to a few extra second of load time or missing animation frames here and there, but I could be even more critical if I wanted to be. For example, they seem to have ignored the development nightmares that led to Sega Rally 2 being such a bad Dreamcast port (it was actually based on the then-unfinished PC version) and seem to have forgotten that not even the Saturn was capable of a "perfect" conversion of Galaxy Force II. In fact, the first edition to include all sprite detail and rotation effects is for the PS2! At least the writers of that list spared us the millions of differences - or lack of similarities, even - between Virtua Fighter 3tb in its original Model 3 and Dreamcast guises...

16. mdmx

mdmx Familiar Face

Oh my god, I started a PlayStation vs. Saturn discussion with this thread.:-(

In never wanted this :crying:

;-)

17. GaijinPunch

Actually, here's the full thread.
    Click Me

Nitpcking? Perhaps, but I think it's safe to say any active member here does some type of nitpicking, or is at least passionate enough about games to do something equally as anal. Look at all the poeple that spend hundreds on dev systems that just sit there.

The list was started by Recap, a huge fan of arcade and arcade style games. If you play a lot of arcade games (either in arcades, or through a proper Mame setup) finding these deficiencies doesn't take nitpciking at all. They're quite blaring...especially the ones w/ the upscaled graphics, or in Capcom's case, completely fucking up the hitboxes. A few frames of animation doesn't take too keen of an eye to fnid if you play the game a lot. Remember, there's not a whole lot of animation frames to begin w/ in most of those games. Taking 2 frames out of 10 is 20% loss. :(

Last edited: Jul 7, 2006
  18. sayin999

sayin999 Officer at Arms

i actually agree with this, I remember when i was little the difference were hardly noticable. But when I began playing street fighter on mame, i could easily

tell the difference right away. Of course back then it was pretty obvious no game ever had a perefect port. Many debate why the sprites come off

much smaller on the dreamcast port of sfa3.

19. Johnny

Johnny Gran Turismo Freak and Site Supporter 2013,2015

I read somewhere that the PlayStation version of Super Puzzle Fighter is better than the Saturn one. People mentioned that the Saturn version has a lot of slowdowns.

Can someone confirm this?

Don't worry . People here are not so narrow-minded. If the same discussion started on almost any other message board, it would probably become a flame war or a mindless fanboy discussion.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2006
  20. Alchy

Alchy Illustrious Member

Can't speak for the Saturn version, but the PSX one is fine. The GBA version is slow and nasty, though. In some ways that helps because you have time to properly set up chains before getting dumped on by the CPU opponent.