Quik the Thunder Rabbit - Unreleased Super NES game

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by TheRealPhoenix, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Donnicton

Donnicton Newly Registered

Good to know there's a more considerate reason for this than people just assuming the worst, I too came to check out whether there was more to the story than Kotaku portraying you like some jerk out to slap your name onto history or keep the original for some sort of ransom later. (it has happened before in the emulation community which is why they are unsurprisingly so jaded)

While not excusing Kotaku for the way the wrote the article(they should have contacted you for a statement to begin with), this should also be taken as cautionary tale, in that this whole situation blowing up the way it has would have been entirely avoided had you just said this to begin with instead of a curt "not telling" and "sorry no" in response to inquiries. With something as historically important as the finding of a newly discovered game, there's no way it wasn't going to make the news in some form or another. Now it's taking you even more time to explain yourself to everyone than it would have taken to just give a real explanation to start.

2. Flash

Flash Dauntless Member

Speaking of how "original" ROM dump can be. When Targa prototype ROM was released, that dump was 4 megabytes, but actual game data is 2 megabytes - if you split original dump in half, you'll see same header in second half, and rest of the data will be exactly the same, only number of zeroes/FFs in the end of file will be different - classic example of overdump. For headers - many Megadrive/Genesis prototypes have generic header, such as SEGA LOGO AND HARDWARE DEMONSTRATION, SEGA GAME, etc. Many SNES prototypes are either headerless or have garbage header. Header has nothing to do with actual game code.

TheRealPhoenix likes this.
  3. TheRealPhoenix

TheRealPhoenix Spoken Language: French & English

You don't understand: I WAS interviewed by Heather. The paragraph after the "1" in the message you quote IS what I said in PM.

4. retro

retro Resigned from mod duty 15 March 2018

@TheRealPhoenix Thanks for the share! Not had a chance to give it a try yet, but I'll look forward to doing so! The video looks... well, a tad blurry on motion, but it certainly has potential!

Mmm well... it's still clickbait fodder, but hey... you need the clicks. And we get clicks, so I guess I'm not complaining, either... in fact, keep it up! ;)

People come here to see the "backlash" ...oh wait, there isn't any. Still, I hope they enjoy the story, and the game! Stick around, have a chat!

By the way @Heather Alexandra....

Can be lead to? Might want to edit that "so that the best possible coverage occurs" ;)

5. Donnicton

Donnicton Newly Registered

The wording heavily implies that was done after the article was published is my point. What they should have done is contacted you even before completing the article to get your side of the story. The only thing the article has by way of quoting you is from your forum posts.

6. TheRealPhoenix

Then how can they quote me just A PART of what I said, if they contacted me after releasing the article?

Edit Also, I answered at 1:16AM today Est Time. WAY before the article.

7. jakeeeenator

jakeeeenator Site Supporter 2015,2016,2017

I personally don't like kotaku. After all this you think they would change the title of the article or rewrite parts of it especially after the discussion in this thread. Its just clickbait crap.

On the other hand thanks so much for releasing this! And I completely understand why you removed traces of an individuals name from the files. As a workprint collector I post clips to drum up trades and I have to censor information all the time (in the posted clips).

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  8. st!

st! Rising Member

I wouldn't care. Some people have serious problem understanding that they're not in position to demand and should be focusing on game itself not some changed / added bytes. Thanks BTW!

9. TheRealPhoenix

Thanks everyone. Really.

jakeeeenator likes this.
  10. Taucias

Taucias Site Supporter 2014,2015

Thanks TheRealPhoenix! It's very kind of you to spend the time to get this dumped and published to share with us all.

Kotaku is a terrible site. They have published other articles in the past that rip off other people's work from this website without crediting them. I consider them to have a poor set of ethics. Their article about this release just goes to prove this. What a load of melodramatic crap!

11. Bramsworth

Bramsworth Well Known Member

Wow, what the hell, Heather? It's nice you came to apologize, but that clickbait article name that's practically attacking someone that had no obligation to share to begin with? The fact TheRealPheonix made any modifications was barely a point of contention at all in this topic except for one guy asking will the unaltered be released.

Talk about shitty journalism. Such a shame to see this topic deride itself down this rabbit hole (unintentional pun), but shit like this shows just how much integrity some journalists have. What a disappointment.

I try to avoid topics that are turning into shit storms, but if no one says anything then people like this "journalist" are going to think it's OK to base their livelihood on ripping on other people.

12. badinsults

badinsults Peppy Member

13. TheRealPhoenix

Yes it's what I thought. Stywox was based in France.
    But the internal header was marked as NTSC, so I let it like that.
    As I said the internal header was incorrect (corrupt? Bad dump? I have no idea), but I let what was recognizable. I just wanted the game have a proper identification (and so the title screen).
    But since now I'm a nazi defiguring history, who cares about what I'm saying... It's probably lies.

Edit: I'm editing since everybody seems offended by everything: giving proper header/crc + title screen were good we to 1) be harmfull modifications 2) identify the rom 3) cannot trace origin of the rom. Slight edit, benefit to everyone. Well...

Edit 2: Nice to see in your article I've edited to be a NTSC one in purpose. Please, can you tell me where I said that?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  14. badinsults

badinsults Peppy Member

You said in the initial post that you edited the header, so I assumed that meant assigning an NTSC mapping. No offence was meant dude.

15. Bramsworth

Bramsworth Well Known Member

On a positive note, it wasn't until that article I bothered Googling the original. This proto is even cooler knowing it was a planned sequel, apparently. Really glad it was shared.

16. TheRealPhoenix

I know, man, I know.

My second post said I was thinking it was a PAL game though.

EDIT: Ha! I understand. When I said "original game" I was not talking about the SNES game. But the original Amiga one.

17. nesworld

nesworld Gutsy Member

Holy smokes... what a disgruntled author of that article at kotaku. Thanks to
    TheRealPhoenix for sharing this,it's really nice of you...

"The public ROM for Quik the Thunder Rabbit is playable and should satisfy the curiosity of amateur historians", "For now, preservationists must struggle with the fact that another piece of gaming history seems just outside their reach" ... and who is this elite that can't sleep at night knowing that the released rom was altered. Be grateful that it's out there... you "elite" people :)

18. that guy

that guy Member

In this thread, people call TheRealPhoneix a nazi.... for replacing a few bytes of initialization code with a harmless JMP to code that doesn't even touch the original ROM. Minus the splash screen that doesn't even touch the original ROM space, mind you, the rest of the code and data is completely unaltered except for the checksum and header... and yet you all overreact about a JMP.

What.

19. Banjo

Banjo <B>Site Supporter 2014</B>

20. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

You may disagree with what was said on Kotaku (many of us fall somewhere in the middle on the whole deal), but acting like children in return because you disagree helps nothing. Editing ROMs is an issue that has been around since the beginning and is something worthy of conversation, if you think Kotaku was wrong then be the leader in that conversation.