Quik the Thunder Rabbit - Unreleased Super NES game

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by TheRealPhoenix, Feb 19, 2017.

1. TheRealPhoenix

TheRealPhoenix Spoken Language: French & English

So, in short, I got my hand on a unreleased port of Quik the Thunder Rabbit for the Super NES.
    For who's who didn't know, Quik was a kind of Sonic/JazzJack Rabbit Amiga and Amiga CD32 (and MS DOS I think)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quik_the_Thunder_Rabbit

I'm pretty excited since I've never heard of any port of this on the 16bits generation. :)

Game is a LOROM, 16Mbits and work on a original hardware (SD2SNES or Repro).
    There's a fiew levels, but no sound at all.
    Mostly platformer, there's a shooter and what seems to be a fighting game.
    The game crash at the fighting game.
    You can skip level with the R button.

I've slightly edited the rom by adding a splash screen, a correct header and a correct checksum, whitout overwriting anything in the ROM file.

I won't tell how I get it, but here's the ROM file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8f3pgzovgol94ee/QUIK_SNES.zip?dl=0

Gameplay footage, captured on a real hardware RGB + Framemeister :

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    _XBOX_, Banjo, Bramsworth and 11 others like this.
  2. mrforever

mrforever Active Member

Greats Mate thanks thanks i'm happy that you share this ROM. Dumped with swc dx or profighter? It's ntsc or pal version?

TheRealPhoenix likes this.
  3. TheRealPhoenix

Not sure how the game was dumped. I don't know the region of the game, but I suspect to be a PAL one: the original game is from Europe. The ROM's running on a NTSC system without any problem though.

4. Kid Fenris

Kid Fenris Rising Member

Interesting. It reminds me of the various European games that came to the Super NES in the console's twilight: Realm, Oscar, Whizz (which also starred a rabbit), and the canceled Mr. Tuff. Euro platformers aren't my thing, but I like Quik's animation. And rabbits in general.

I bet this would've seen a name change if it'd come out in the U.S. Or maybe Nestle would've licensed it.

5. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

Awesome

6. marvelus10

marvelus10 Spirited Member

Awesome, Thank you.

7. badinsults

badinsults Peppy Member

Thanks for the game, it looks pretty good compared to a lot of unreleased games out there.

In the interests of preservation, would it be possible to upload the unedited ROM image?

8. TheRealPhoenix

Unfortunately no, sorry.

9. Flash

Flash Dauntless Member

I had Quik game on CD32 and remember that blue hedgehog crossing the road in the intro. Talk about trolling.

This game got nothing to do with Amiga/DOS versions though. Different levels, different enemies, you can jump on enemies to kill them, like Mario, instead of spinning like Sonic.
    So this... hmm... Snesquik is a different game, Quik The Thunder Rabbit 2 maybe?

10. Bramsworth

Bramsworth Well Known Member

Just having this preserved in any form is appreciated. At least nothing was removed or "finished" and all is in tact.

Thanks for sharing!

11. ruiner9

ruiner9 Member

Juuuust so you're aware, Kotaku just ran an article linking to this thread that's along the lines of "guy won't release unaltered SNES rom to the public," so be prepared for potential traffic of the negative variety. :-/

I'd like to thank you for releasing this game in any capacity. It's shame there's no music! That's the stuff I enjoy most.

12. IsometricMode

IsometricMode Rapidly Rising Member

Yeah its gonna get busy in here, I saw that too and had missed this thread. If everything they reported was true then I am very disappointed and would go so far as to label someone a "crumbbum" but will hold off any such comments until I hear the other side of the story atleast.

13. Moo

Moo Gutsy Member

That kotaku article is how I heard about this too. I don't check all the forum sections frequently. If all you added was a title screen then that don't bother me at all. Thanks for sharing it.

14. TheRealPhoenix

Yeah I've been contacted here and explain why I didn't relese the original rom, what and how I made the modifications. And that's not in the article. :D

So in case my answer is not published on Kotaku here's my repsonse:

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  15. pichichi010

pichichi010 Rising Member

I actually wanted to buy the rights of this game (without knowing it had a SNES port) when I heard that Interplay was selling their catalog. Could have sworn they owned it (well Titus anyways) because they were the publisher, and the developer worked on Quik.

Anyways, I know Stywox went bankrupt and the game may be owned by the bank, or by the Owner of the company which is no where to be found since 1999. The game was supposed to be finished along with another SNES game called Crazy Punch.

There is also unreleased Amiga game by Stywox called Ultimate Fighter (or Ultimate Fight) Which I was able to find the soundtrack on the composer website here (There is music also for another unreleased Amiga game called Future Cop):

http://www.jessmusicvault.net/catalog

But the director of the company said that a lot of their games were Vaporware, At least we know that Ultimate Fight and Future Cop had some music done.

16. TheRedEye

TheRedEye Robust Member

Hey, I'm Frank Cifaldi, I'm also quoted in that article. Heather's a good journalist but, as I just explained to her, I feel like I was misrepresented in this article as well, so I'm posting here as damage control:

While I stand by what was said in the article in terms of ROM-altering being a "horrible practice" that rewrites history, I also don't think people do this maliciously, I think they usually think they're doing the right thing. It's a delicate issue, and I understand how someone would feel the need to alter that data (your explanation here makes a lot of sense!), but just the same it's damaging a historical document, and I don't like it.

That said, I think what you've done is a generous act of preservation and I'm really happy you've done it. I don't think you did it PERFECTLY, but I'm really happy that it was done, and I don't want to come across as being mad instead of appreciative-with-reservations. Preservation only moves forward if we all work together and find common ground.

17. Heather Alexandra

Heather Alexandra Newly Registered

After seeing concerns, I've made some changes.

EDIT: Please know I take these types of concerns very seriously. You may always contact me directly for further clarifications to given statements or to provide feedback so that the best possible coverage occurs and continues to occur.

ruiner9 likes this.
  18. derekb

derekb Well Known Member

Thanks Heather!

19. TheRealPhoenix

Sure. Just because I don't want to jeopardize copyrights owners rising from their graves, now I'm an evil and greedy bastard.

Why skipping the main explanation of the modifications? What I EXACLTY did? Modifying a internal "header" to be recognizable and a proper checksum, add the title (from the Amiga version+ "press start") distinctively from the original code. That's it.

_XBOX_, Yakumo, jakeeeenator and 2 others like this.
  20. Cerv3ro

Cerv3ro Member

Thanks for sharing this, i´m happy when lost games came out to the light of the day, imo is the best way to preserve it. Thanks again.