Questions about FM-TOWNS II MX

Discussion in 'Fujitsu FM-7, Towns and Marty' started by caius, Jul 20, 2012.

1. caius

caius Rising Member

Hi all,
    some days ago I received a FM-TOWNS II MX won on Yahoo Japan Auction.
    It came with many accessories like MO drive, a controller, many cables, a keyboard,a printer interface and a wireless commander.
    Regarding the main unit I was lucky and unlucky at the same time.I was lucky because it has 70MB of RAM , a SCSI HD with Windows 95 installed, a graphic card and a 10Tbase card inside. But also unlucky because CD-ROM has many problem to read CDs and also the has boot trouble since after the Win95 screen I got a DOS error telling me that some files are missing.
    So, I'm asking to you how to solve these troubles.
    Is there some replacement for the CD-ROM?Besides, it worth to restore the Windows95 installation or can I live also without HD?

P.S.
    In order to boot form CD I disconnected the SCSI cable of the HD.But is there some way to choose the boot sequence?
    Is it possibile to upgrade the CPU into this machine?

2. Jamtex

Jamtex Adult Orientated Mahjong Connoisseur

Without a CD-ROM you are going to find it hard to do anything with the machine. If it is reading them, then it might require some adjustment but as I do not have an FMT II, I can not help you with this.

Sounds like Windows 95 has been corrupted or the drive is faulty, you would need the FM Towns version of Windows 95 to replace these files. Being able to read Japanese is another thing that would help or at least an indepth knowledge of Windows 95. Depends on what you want to do with the machine, you probably would want at least a version of DOS on the HDD.

I am sure that the CPU is soldered to the motherboard so upgrading is not possible if it is socketed then if you can find it you can upgrade to a 83Mhz Pentium overdrive.

3. caius

caius Rising Member

Hi and thanks for replying.
    I don't think I will use Windows 95 on this machine, I want only to play games from CDs ( I have also a Marty 2) but how can I proceed when games require to be installed on HDD?Maybe do I need some TownOS installed instead of Windows 95?

Regarding the CPU upgrading I thought it was possible to replace the original 80486DX2 @66MHz with a 486DX4 @100MHz which is the one mounted on Fresh models.
    About CD-ROM did you mean some laser adjustment?I tried to clean the lens and now it starts to read some discs but it takes a lot of time.I have also a external SCSI CD-ROM , I 'm wondering if I can use it as external source.

4. Shou

Shou Gutsy Member

You'll need Towns OS installed for games using the HDD and really many of the games which don't work on the Marty have some kind of install option. As for a replacement CD-ROM drive, you'll have to look to Yahoo.