Question about SCSI for dreamcast dev unit

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by sioivo, Jul 22, 2005.

1. sioivo

sioivo Member

Hi! I am new to dreamcast dev. Actually I own a dreamcast dev unit set 5.24 & GD Writer, and I just order a Adaptec 2940U SCSI card (still waiting it come). I am not familiar with SCSI devices. Therefore I have some questions about the SCSI things.

1. Do I need 50 pin male to male external SCSI cables for GD writer to dev unit and dev unit to PC SCSI card? If so how long should I buy? I have seen 2.5ft, 3ft, and 6ft available at http://www.stsi.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?page=STSI_4/CTGY/SCSICablesExternal

2. I have notice I also need Active SCSI terminators. But what is this thing actually do? Can I just ignore it? Do I need any Active SCSI terminators on the back of GD Writer?

3. On the back side of GD Writer. There are 2 SCSI connecter (SCSI-1 & SCSI-2) available. Which one should I use?

4. Also on the back side of GD Writer. I saw the TERMINATOR (2 little DIP switch) & ID SELECT (dial switch from 0 to 7). What I need to set on those 2 switch?

5. On the back of dev unit, the 2 dial switch next to SCSI-A & SCSI-B. What I have to set for those 2 dial switch?

Sorry to have so many questions. Thanks for help.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2005
  2. 1=Yes, you need 50 pin cables.

2=You need a terminator to 'end' the SCSI chain (channels A and B, so fit it to B for instance). You won't need a terminator fitted to the GD-Writer, see answer 4.

3= SCSI-1.

4=You should be able to select to terminate, thus you don't need a separate terminator. The I.D select should be a SCSI chain number that your not already using.

5=Any number you like just make sure you don't repeat numbers, each number must be different.

3. sioivo

sioivo Member

Thanks for your help.

4. sioivo

sioivo Member

Hi oldenginner.

I have another question about SCSI HDD. I just received a SCSI HDD for my mail. I see there are some jumper setting in front of the HDD. Since I am not familiar with SCSI things. I wondering what jumper setting I have to set for use in dev unit? Thanks again.

5. VitAmen

VitAmen Guest

you could check the model's brand and find its manual online....

6. sioivo

sioivo Member

Yes I found it. But I have no idea which setting I have to use. I am not familiar with SCSI device at all. Please help. Thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2005
  7. sioivo

sioivo Member

I had notice another problem. As the PC boots, the SCSI controller's status information only show CPL KATANA DA. There is no any CPL GD-M. What is the problem? Thanks.

8. What version/model number is your HDD?

9. sioivo

sioivo Member

GD-M problem solved. But there are other problem now. I format the dev HDD (IBM DGHS 09Z 9.1GB) to NTFS using "format [drive letter]: /fs:ntfs /a:32k" under WindowsXP. I can see a new removeable drive appear in My Computer (8.9 GB free space). But when I open GD Workshop, it said "Current emulation disk has an invalid file system on it" then "SCSI Error NOERROR:OK". I can't choose configure drive letters and the pull-down menu on right side containing NO drive letter. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2005
  10. sioivo

sioivo Member

All problems solved:-D :happyhap:

11. Excellent :)