Question about Dreamcast Dev Unit and GD Writer

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by sioivo, Jul 15, 2005.

1. sioivo

sioivo Member

Hi! I just got a Dreamcast Dev Unit and a GD Writer form ebay. However, the dev unit does not come with any SDK software and SCSI HDD. Actually I am a newbie, but I already got some basic knowledge by reading this forum. :p

Ok here is my question:

1. The serial of the dev unit is S524S086537. I assume it is set 5.24. So what SDK version I have to get? R9 or R10?

2. Is there any way to make sure I have the right version (5.24) by just look at the hardware inside the dev unit? Just in case to make sure no one swap any hardware before.

3. Is that ok to get a bigger side HD (eg. 9GB instead of 4GB). Can I really use ALL 9GB with NTFS format?

4. This maybe a stupid question. Now the dev is no HD inside. So is it possible to check if the dev uniit is work or not? eg. no one flash a wrong version firmware.

Thanks for help.

2. 1=5.24 is correct, r9 or r10 would be fine.

2=It's VERY unlikely to have swapped hardware, Dev House's often removed the HDD's before disposal/for security reasons.

3=Yes, theres already several posts on this subject, just read down the page a bit.

4=Just bung a HDD in and fire it up, chances are it will work, if not theres an app's you can use in the SDK to sort most things out.

3. sioivo

sioivo Member

Thanks for help. So I have to look for SDK now. @_@