Questing about installing an RGB and HDMI mod on a N64, particularly Voultar's

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by Cyber Akuma, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Cyber Akuma

Cyber Akuma Rising Member

I was reading up on N64 RGB mods here:

http://retrorgb.com/n64rgbmod.html

And the HDMI mods here:

http://retrorgb.com/ultrahdmi.html

The part that caught my eye was the mention of "It can be installed alongside RGB mods", so I figured that unlike the NES, I wouldn't have to decide on one, I could get the cheaper RGB mod just for now, and later when I can afford it (and it's actually in stock) i can get a HDMI mod done.

I have a NS1 model N64, and while it would be compatible with any RGB mod, I had my eyes on Tim's "advanced" one since it has the option of adding all sorts of post-processing effects on top of just being a standard no-frills RGB mod:

http://etim.net.au/shop/shop.php?crn=209&rn=548&action=show_detail

However, when I contacted Tim about this and asked a few questions, he mentioned that his RGB mod was not compatible with the HDMI mod...

Oh well, I can get a more basic RGB mod then and get a HDMI mod later.... and the most popular one seems to be Voultar's:

http://voultar.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=50

http://voultar.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=60_63&product_id=62

I wanted to ask if anyone else had gotten this mod done, and if so, if they know if Voultar's version is compatible with the UltraHDMI or not? Does anyone here have both a RGB and UltraHDMI mod on their N64?

Or are there perhaps any other RGB kits one can recommend or if there are any comparisons between them? I know that Tim's and Voultar's are by far not the only ones, but they seem to be the most popular. I couldn't find any comparisons other than people comparing a very basic DIY mod to Tim's, has anyone ever compared different RGB mods? And does anybody know which ones will not interfere with a UltraHDMI?

2. Xaranar

Xaranar Rapidly Rising Member

The reason Tim's version of the RGB mod isn't compatible with the UltraHDMI is because Tim's board takes the digital signals from the RCP before they reach the DAC, and this causes problems as the UltraHDMI does the same thing. It's physically impossible to fit both the wires necessary for Tim's board and the FFC for the UltraHDMI onto the same console.

Voultar's board will not interfere with the UltraHDMI because it sits on the underside of the board, right on the AV multi-out pins. Borti4938 also has a design for an N64 RGB board, but it is in the same vein as Tim's and requires connecting to the same signals.

Cyber Akuma likes this.
  3. borti4938

borti4938 Robust Member

That‘s not true! You CAN install both - the UltraHDMI as well as Tim’s RGB board. You just have to keep wires for the second one as short as possible to keep signal integrity for the UltraHDMI.
    Ask citrus3000psi - he has done this and installed the RGB board underneath the N64 mainboard to run short wires.
    You can also install small resistors (around 50-100ohm) at the beginning of each wire for the RGB board. This works, too.
    Or you wait for a future modding project which produces both - HDMI and RGB output.

But back to your question: UltraHDMI along with simple RGB mod with an amp like the THS7374 always works without any problems.

4. Cyber Akuma

Cyber Akuma Rising Member

Thank You, sounds like maybe it would be best just to get something like Voultar's for now and the UltraHDMI later. While it would be nice to get Tim's, pretty much all the install services seem to only install their own basic ones, and I am worried how well that work-around with short wires and/or resistors would work, especially since nobody else that I asked seemed to know about this.

By the way, when you said future modding project, did you mean somebody is working on that? Or that maybe somebody someone will create a combined RGB/HDMI mod?

Oh, and something I forgot to ask. Voultar's mod said that you need to use the HD Retrovision cables for it, is that common with all the RGB mods to get component out? Or do others only need a more basic RGB cable? I am asking because one of the TVs I have will work with the Genesis cable, but not with a SNES cable I tested, and I don't know if the N64 will be any different.... not to mention those cables aren't cheap (and constantly sold out).

5. borti4938

borti4938 Robust Member

If you need component out and if your console just supports RGB out, you'll need the cables by HD Retrovision to convert RGB to YPbPr. That's right. But I do have a open source project which does the conversion in the digital domain before it is converted to analog. However, this will need you to also have a custom cable, which no one sells atm.

If you are fine with RGB, you won't need a HD Retrovision cable.

Yes, I do. Current state is the N64 Advanced project. Once I'm somehow ready with with current version (menu implementation), I'll start with version 2, where I plan both - RGB and HDMI out.
    At the moment development got a bit stuck, but for good reasons. a) I was involved with the OSSC scanline improvements recently made and b) my head is a bit overdue and needs vacation.

Cyber Akuma likes this.