Purple tint in SNES Mini RGB image

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by Noko Bombette, Sep 8, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Noko Bombette

Noko Bombette Active Member

AtomizerZero commented about some compatibility problems with the installed SuperCIC mod (some games not working). Are there any known problems with those PCB solutions you are showing?

2. AtomizerZero

AtomizerZero Intrepid Member

It's not an incompatibility per se, more of a case of hitting reset a 2 or 3 times in quick succession got any "troublesome" games to boot. 95% of what I tried booted immediately without issue.

3. Unseen

Unseen Spirited Member

Hot-melt glues commonly suffer from greatly reduced bonding strength when exposed to alcohol, but it needs to be able to creep in the actual area where the glue meets whatever it is glued to (e.g. the circuit board)

4. Noko Bombette

Noko Bombette Active Member

I'm not sure if I would start hitting reset or blowing the cartridge in that case... :)

5. AtomizerZero

The problem is, the glue is completely wrapping around the wires soldered to the motherboard, which were just pulling the pads off when the glue came loose. The hot glue mess isn't the only problem.. the soldering job is pretty naff too.

That won't solve anything :p It's the CIC protection on the carts. The cart detects the CIC when you power on the console, which, with the SuperCIC mod, the cart is most likely detecting that it isn't the right CIC, which means no boot. But by resetting, it's tricking the cart into accepting the SuperCIC (at least, this is the best way I can describe what is most likely occurring here). The "Troublesome" games were All versions of certain first party games, such as Super Mario All Stars, Super Mario Kart, Super Mario World (notice the pattern here?). ALL other games I tried (for example, Secret of Mana (NTSC), Torneko (Jap), Killer Instinct(PAL), Street Fighter Zero(Jap)) all booted fine first time, every time, no issue. Another thing to note, on ALL games, switching modes by holding reset worked flawlessly (unless of course the game itself doesn't like the different speed, which is of course going to either freeze or cause glitches, especially Pal games in 60hz).

6. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

That's not the way the supercic works.

It will always pass a cart, if it's not working properly, there's an issue with the mod or wiring etc.

skyway1985 likes this.
  7. AtomizerZero

Ok. Well in the grand scheme of things, it is working otherwise. He's free to get it replaced if he wants, but I don't think it's worth the money or trouble tbh.

8. borti4938

borti4938 Robust Member

Normally, each game should start flawlessly. Either with booting the game or displaying "this gamepak is not designed for your SNES/SFC" depending on whether region timeout is enabled at the SCIC or not!
    If this is not the case it's very likely that something is not correct and it might be the case that it stop working at all at any time!
    Hence, I would definitely redo the modification!

On the shown PCB there is the SuperCIC (CIC-lock clone incl. 50Hz/60Hz switch), uIGR (some controller functionalities like reset and 50/60Hz switch), a region patch (overwriting region bit to CIC-key region on CPU read) and of course the clock switch for the 50/60Hz function.
    As far as I know there are no reported problems with this PCB solutions.

9. gladiator5

gladiator5 Robust Member

Nah man, your not the only one xd