PsyQ HDD Image

Discussion in 'Repair, Restoration, Conservation and Preservation' started by Jackhead, Dec 8, 2018.

1. Jackhead

Jackhead Site Soldier

Hi,

i got a external HDD who was used with the PsyQ Emulator for Playstation. I want to backup and run/test the data on the Disk. First at all i read the docs from the emu. The Drive itself boots up fine. First i connect the drive to a normal SCSI interface. It shows up on bootscreen but of corse there is no windows partition on it.
    The Emulator in my system runs also fine. Its connected to a H2500. But i dont really know what im doing wrong to start the content on the HDD. Well maybe the disk is empty, but thats the point i like to investigate.
    It can still hold some prototype softwaref from the japanese studio it comes from.

So for the Understanding what i tryed before:

The external HDD is connected to the PsyQ Emulator board external, SCSI id is set to 5.
    The Emulator is connected to my H2500 board.

On windows i start first init the hardware:

H25bios = OK
    CDBIOS = OK
    Than i switch the H2500 from cd to Emu with " runselem " = OK
    After that what i know i need to start the image with "CDEXEC" = OK

But the HDD is not start doing anything. Playstation AV Output is also still on standby.

So my question is if anyone have knowledge using the Emulator and can tell me what i have to do?
    Im not sure if i have to use CDDISK first. But it will change maybe the partition and the data are gone.. So im very carefully.

Anyone can help?

Attached Files:

2. jollyroger

jollyroger Gutsy Member

I would say, first of all, dump a raw image of the whole disk with your PC, that way no matter what you do to the disk, you will always have an exact copy that you can write back to that disk or another similar one.

With the dump you can also use inspect the image to understand if there is anything present in the disk.

Unfortunately I really don't remember what we did to configure the emulator back then...

Borman likes this.
  3. Jackhead

Jackhead Site Soldier

Unfortunately HDD Raw copy tool dont run under Win98 -.- . I have only a win98 system with that scsi interface

4. unclejun

unclejun Site Supporter 2011-2014

if the drive is connected to a normal SCSI card, try http://www.feyrer.de/g4u/ and make a complete dump of it, how large is the hdd?
    You need a network card too, not sure if you have one in the same machine...

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  5. Jackhead

Jackhead Site Soldier

Oh no not this tool again :) Ok i build my scsi card in old pc from work with xp and the image is running now!! 2GB are the size of the HDD. How to open the image after that progress?

edit: There Data on the disk 989MB thats what HDD Raw tool writes into the image.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  6. Jackhead

Jackhead Site Soldier

There are 2 read errors when i create the image. I tryed it three times.
    So now i have the image but i cant extract it. I tryed IsoBuster and Winrar.

Winrar shows me the Files in the image but cant extract it. It looks like there is still a game on the disk!!!

Attached Files:

• img.png
      img.png
      File size:
      8 KB
      Views:
  7. unclejun

I agree, great tool!
    The idea is to have a backup in case you mess up the contents on the hdd, not really to extract files from the image, so keept it safe!

In the manual, is there a chapter on accessing and selecting CD images for the H2500 to use?

8. Jackhead

Jackhead Site Soldier

I read nothing about multi partitions on a hdd, so when i execute "runselem" (its the h2500 command selecting the Emu, what i understand) the H2500 switch from CD to the EMU. CDEXEC should start the image like resetps on the h2510. I read nothing about selecting a image. But i can be wrong.

9. unclejun

You're using the CD emu tools for DOS, not the ones for Win9x, right?
    Otherwise you'll need to run CDDISK with only the SCSI ID of the hdd as argument, no other option, and definitely not -n as it initializes a new disk.
    And take pictures of what CDDISK output looks like while you do it.

The Windows utilities are probably easier to use to list (and possibly extract files) from the emu hdd:
    Diapositive15.JPG

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  10. HI_Ricky

HI_Ricky Gutsy Member

did you try recover software to scan the HDD image?
    on saturn VCD , it work for me recover data in HDD,

11. Jackhead

Jackhead Site Soldier

I still reinstall my system will check it out.
    So far the filesystem dont remember with any tool not sure what filesystem the vcd on saturn use.
    I will try CDDISK only with the scsi id argument than.

12. HI_Ricky

HI_Ricky Gutsy Member

recover software did raw scan by file or drive , it should work , or you can wait next month i back my workshop test it on PS cdemu drive

13. Jackhead

Jackhead Site Soldier

Ok i load cddisk with id only and got this.
    has the boot parti to be active?
    Cant belive how much trouble it is to load the image...

03.01.1996 Biohazard or Mahjong? ^^

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018 at 6:00 PM