PSX Serial / Yaroze Cable

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by danhans115, Jan 11, 2010.

1. danhans115

danhans115 Spirited Member

Hi Guys,

Due to me finding a load of my old psx stuff, I fancied setting up the SDK in VirtualPC on Windows 98. Problem being I never actually owned a Yaroze, I used to use my Caetla flashed Xplorer cartridge via my parallel port.

My PC doesnt have a parallel port nowadays so to save me taking up more desk space I thought about building a serial cable then use a USB converter to get going, using the information posted on the Hitmen PSX website.

I noticed the PSX uses 3.3v CMOS levels for the serial, so I bought a FTDI232 interface that does both 3.3v / 5v and thought about using that to save on components.

Looking at the schematic on there, it uses two MAX232's to do the level shifting for both rx and tx and the handshaking.

Additionally a 74HC00 nand gate is connected to the handshaking lines, and from what I can gather it inverts the handshaking lines. Or am I completely wrong here?

My problem is, I can communicate with the debug shell via hyperterminal just using rx/tx but in order to use siocons the handshaking needs to be working correctly.

So I suppose my question is has any one experimented or made their own cable maybe? I suppose just to confirm the pinouts of the PSX's handshaking lines ( there are two conflicting documents on the hitmen site) and how I could go about crossing them over.

The FTDI module is purchased is the byvac bv-103

There isnt much information on this stuff anymore, especially with the closure of geocities.

Any help would be greatly appriciated,

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  2. defor

defor Intrepid Member

I'd say this probably really belongs in the sony forum,

but anyway- Yes, YEARS (10+) ago, I built said cable from the same diagrams, and I seem to remember having gotten it working, but I haven't tried the same max232 based diagram off a usb adapter- it should be fine however.

My suggestion for the cheap and easy way to get a cable as I've said elsewhere- use a Interact Gameshark SharkLink (NOT SharkPort) cable- If you need one, drop me a line I should still have most of a shipping case of them new in box.

I've verified that these (as well as the official cable) do work with a usb to serial adapter like those using the pl2303 chipsed- I'll double check if a null modem is needed between the components- I seem to remember that this is the case, but I've been using the cables for some other experiments recently.

3. danhans115

danhans115 Spirited Member

Thanks for the reply.

Its good to know you got the circuit working, least I can be sure the pinouts on that site are correct. The schematic on there requires a null modem but I dont know which sort of wiring to use, either part or full handshaking.

Ive tried RTS - CTS and DTR-DSR and neither worked for me, other than you can talk to the terminal through hyperterminal, but not siocons.

This is sort of where I am at the moment, forgive the lame diagram..

[​IMG]

I have also tried using ftprog to reprogram the eeprom on the ftdi232 so that the handshaking lines are inverted and omitting the 74HC00, but I am still getting nowhere.

Im going to have one last try with the above, but rather than powering the 74HC00 from the adapter, Ill take 3.3v from the PSX instead. I don't know if this would make a difference.

I do have a PL2303 to DB9 somewhere so if I still get stuck with this Ill get hold of a pair of max232's and follow the whole schematic and try again.

I will PM you regarding the sharklink cable, and thanks for the reply.

Regards

Dan

Attached Files: