PSX Music Disk - My entry for the 1st PSDEV competition!

Discussion in 'Sony Programming and Development' started by Avanaboy, May 22, 2012.

1. Avanaboy

Avanaboy Spirited Member

Hi ppl :)

I'd like to show you my entry for the 1st PSDEV coding competition ! I hope that you will love this and you will vote for me :p

This is a Intro/Music Disk, and contains 20 cool modules , with nice text scroller and synch images with song bass!
    I've coded this with PsyQ in my free time.

Here is a screenshoot:

[​IMG]

Here is the download link: http://avanaboy-console.com/psx/releases/PMD.rar
    This is burn and play. Please use this on a real PSX (PS1/PSOne) for the best results!
    Or run this on a good psx emulator like pSXfin or epsxe (I suggest pSXfin)

I Hope that you will vote for me :)
    Here is the link in case you want to vote: http://psdev.psio.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=67&p=401#p401

Here is a video:

ATTENTION: This homebrew don't come with the source code, *BUT* don't be afraid : I'll release the FULL source code when the PSDEV competition will be over
    :friendly_wink:​

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2015
  2. tails92

tails92 Spirited Member

My own review:
    This entry graphically is quite decent, but the PsyQ debug font is horrible, and it shouldn't have been used.
    I don't really like the chipmusic genre. Still, there is some chip music I like.
    And when it comes to the modules in this entry, the quality of the music ranges from bad to mediocre. It doesn't take a musician.
    Even if I haven't seen the source code yet because it has not been released (it will be released later), it is easy to understand that this an example of, at best, amateurish coding.
    The scroller text in a place skips very noticeably, and the code also adds primitives to the drawing list which are off-screen For your eyes it's the same, for the machine, it is not.

With all due respect, in the scrolltext you're calling "new psx legends" people who are not, and unless they really got their stuff right, who won't be.
    Also, in the readme.txt, you're saying that music is streamed from the CD. How false.
    This entry uses the Hitmen's really old modplayer lib HITMOD, which uses tracker music in the .HIT format. You see, tracker music (for people who don't know) is almost like a MIDI file, but with samples for the instruments included in the same file. It is not streamed. The music module file is loaded entirely in RAM, then the sample data is uploaded to Sound RAM. The music module player routine then interprets the module tracker data and decides which note to play, when, etc.
    Music is *loaded* from the CD. Streaming means not loading something entirely in memory, but in pieces, when some time elapses you load the new piece of it that you need in memory and so on.

EDIT: In fact, one of the so called "new psx legends" is his friend Accro.
    Accro made his first C program this March. For people who understand Italian: http://www.moddingstudio.com/showth...on-le-4-operazioni-fondamentali-uso-di-math.h

Don't get me wrong, I am not telling you guys are idiots. Just don't do this kind of shit.

Last edited: May 23, 2012
    l_oliveira and Bad_Ad84 like this.
  3. Avanaboy

Avanaboy Spirited Member

JUST A WORD: LOL !
    You are still the same meany person... By the way I've saved some screenshots that our irc chat of last night , so in case you still troll I can make it publically available on the chan.. just to point this out!

have a nice day :)

4. H360

H360 Familiar Face

Take my advice. Dont add petrol to the flame.

Le problem solved.
    [​IMG]

5. Avanaboy

Avanaboy Spirited Member

Ahahahah , Thanks haunted :) Just ignore some ppl here around ;)

EDIT:

Just to put this out: Accro have a lots of cool botlegs collection , so it is a legend for me ! Also, I'm quite amused that u are trying to teach me what to write in my own text scroller in my own program lol

6. tails92

tails92 Spirited Member

I just don't know what to say! These people are for REAL!

7. Gemini

Gemini Retro developer

Given how tails is one of the actual experts around here when it comes to PlayStation programming, I don't see how his post can be interpreted as a "meany" person's behavior. He only stated several facts about the intro and how badly programmed it is, despite of its controversial presentation. The program is very small and simplistic, yet it contains way too many programming flaws and bugs that shouldn't even been existing in the first place. As for the "streaming" stuff, I really won't comment; it's not even necessary.

8. Avanaboy

Avanaboy Spirited Member

Just to reassume the whole situation, I'm amusing that you tails92 try to teach me what to write In MY textscroller in a MY coded product :) really funny things :)
    Also, I'd like to make a free confront:
    Tails92, you said that my code is amateurish ... but where is your "professional code" ?? I'm looking for it in your vaste psx release but I can't find anything that look professional ( at least to me .. ) so , maybe you was talking about :

A samll journey:
    a_small_journey.png

so is this your masterpiece ?? .-. look more amateurish than mine :highly_amused:
    Also, why the cook moves like an idiot ? just because IT LACKS OF A DECENT ANIMATION ?
    Yeah , this look very professional .. (in your dreams)
    Also nice font ehe( don't seems correctly aligned thro), I'll pay for it, really ... (still in your dreams)
    At least the graphics seems very good lol ...

Oh God if this is your masterpiece I prefer to not play psx anymore ........... :very_drunk:

-------------------------------------------------

Lol , lets start:
    I don't even want to comment about how expert is your friend, btw the problem is that this is an entry for a compo, and he post bad things just to insult my hard work ( I've still the irc chat screenshot where he said a lot of bullshit ) ...
    My intro is very small and simplistic ? lol and those things should be a cons ?? amsuing :highly_amused:
    what do you want ? do you want that the next time I'll produce a 350MB intro just to occupy half of an empty disk ? funny things here too lol
    Btw is nice the way that u defend your smart friend, clap clap for you dude :applause:

So you should remove every of your project lol ......... :)

Every reader is welcome to post their opinions , just to avoid that just I'm try to defend my work :)

9. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

oh snap girlfriend

10. PS2Guy

PS2Guy Lost in the neverending abyss.

I didn't want to jump in, but this is so funny.

You do realize that tails92 wrote his own PSXSDK aye?? So I don't think that he has to show us anything?? From what I've seen of software development kits, they look a lot harder to construct than a simple game intro does. (Not that I'm a programmer).

11. Avanaboy

Avanaboy Spirited Member

Yep this is right , but it isn't true that my code is like shit ;) the intro works great , that is good ;)
    yeah he wrote and sdk, but he can't say that my code is shit just because me and him have other problems :)

I was devving with his sdk a while ago, then switched to psyq due some bugs ( but this is not the problem :)

Just respect the works of ppl ! ;)

12. PS2Guy

PS2Guy Lost in the neverending abyss.

I wasn't having a go. I don't know what's been said between you guys in private, (that's between you two).

Like I said I'm not a programmer. They all look good to me. I especially liked your xmas one.

13. Avanaboy

Avanaboy Spirited Member

eheh many thanks :) Eventually was more challanging to code this psx work , that the xmas intro :)

14. tails92

tails92 Spirited Member

Why all you can do is criticize my works, Avanaboy? A Small Journey is like that because I intended it to have a "somewhat" retro style. When you don't know, do not talk out of your ass.
    Also, it is going to be released soon. Want a challenge? Make something better than it. Do it.
    P.S: The screen above comes from Haunted's site. It was a screenshot of a very early build I gave to #psxdev'ers.
    Obviously the first level is not like that.

In my review, I was abrasive but pointed out facts... you're just deriding me and Gemini and pointing your biased opinion.

EDIT: Learn to credit
    http://forum.core-ita.com/showthread.php?9284-Umdkiller-1.3

Oops...!

15. Avanaboy

Avanaboy Spirited Member

ahahahahahahaha try the last version of my homebrew , and u will realize that I've still to add diablo68 space check ! that's why there isn't any credit about him !!! ahahahah you are the best funny boy that I know !! ahahhaha if u can't trust me read the 1.5 / 1.3 source code al you will se that there aren't any space check !!! ahahahha that's why I havent thanked diablo :D

...OPS ! :p

16. tails92

tails92 Spirited Member

Maybe the real reason you haven't added the code is that, unluckily, you're unable to.
    Go wild!

17. Avanaboy

Avanaboy Spirited Member

Nope , I've just an 8 GB memory card so I just don't care ... :p learn to read source code before to accuse :)

18. tails92

tails92 Spirited Member

Look at who's talking!

19. Avanaboy

Avanaboy Spirited Member

who's talking ?? It is a crime to have an 8GB memory card and don't care about a free memory check ? lol

20. tails92

tails92 Spirited Member

You're just a presumptuous child. Grow up.
    And you totally missed what I was referring to.

Talk about yourself, then you talk about me.
    If you were an honest guy, we'd be all happy that a newbie was achieving something.
    But you are dishonest so... dare to stand a chance.