PSX DVR Problem

Discussion in 'Sony Programming and Development' started by Unknown-Organization, May 26, 2015.

1. TnVGaming

TnVGaming Member

If it was temporary, I would think it would be turned on by now. It's been off this whole time, but I tried to boot it last night and the same thing happened: a faint beep with no activity lights flashing.

At this rate I'm probably just going to cut my losses and throw it away. I'm not interested in keeping a 13 lb paperweight in my house and I'll probably just keep the laser assembly and the Hard Disk and keep on the look out for another DESR-7700.

I was hoping I_oliveria would have been of greater help since they seem to know a lot about them based on his history on the site. But since they've vanished there isn't much of a point of pursuing this any further.

Thanks for your help though.

2. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

Once the IC link fuses, it is ruined forever. I meant the reason behind that. If it didn't actually take care of itself, then the replaced IC links would also fuse immediately once you switch the console back on.

Maybe you could sell it for parts? Somebody out there might be able to repair this.

Even if he's here, it doesn't mean that you will surely receive a magic bullet from him because this kind of electrical fault could be caused by a single open circuit that is critical for the operation of the console.

3. TnVGaming

TnVGaming Member

Maybe someone will buy this since both laser assemblies were working and reading discs just fine. But shipping this thing anywhere isn't cheap. I'll consider it.

4. l_oliveira

l_oliveira Officer at Arms

That fuse is blown, replace it and the thing will start powering up again. That fuse cuts up 12V power for the IR sensor in the front and the syscon subsystem. Without power on the syscon it will be as dead as a brick.

It likely blown because you drilled a hole on the front panel connection flat cable.

Edit:
    On your picture you circled the right component. It should measure zero ohms if not damaged.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
    svotib likes this.
  5. TnVGaming

TnVGaming Member

Okay, so I've identified that one, are there any other's I should test specifically? I've already reassembled the PSX and I'd need to tear the damned thing apart again, and if I remember correctly, it gives me a high number briefly then drops down to 0 on the multi-meter. Is that normal behavior or should it always be at 0?

Also, I didn't drill a hole in it, I just pinched the damn thing and it cut out. . . although I guess I might at well have drilled a hole in it considering how sensitive this thing is.

6. l_oliveira

Along with repairing the fuse (you can take it from any broken normal PS2) you need to obtain a replacement flat cable. One idea I can give you is look for a scrap of CECHA01 or CECHB01 PS3 and dismantle the optical drive. The flat cable used for the optical pickup on the PS3 of that model is of the correct pitch and a bit longer than the PSX flat. You can cut the traces you don't need and make it fit on the PSX. I've done that to obtain a new flat cable for my DESR-7500.

7. l_oliveira

Forgot to mention, the accident with the flat cable should burn only that fuse. But since that fuse protects the power for the whole standby subsystem, if it is blown the thing is as dead as a doorstop...

8. TnVGaming

TnVGaming Member

Alright. I'll definitely have a look at this. My friend has a broken CECHA01 PLAYSTATION 3 I may be able to tear apart. As for the fuse, is there a certain PS2 I should look for? I have a broken SCPH-30001 and an SCPH-70001 laying around. Would either of those work? And is the fuse labeled the same on the PS2? Or is there something different i should look for specifically.

9. l_oliveira

There are fuse guides on the internet for the PS2 consoles. Should not be hard to find the standby fuse. The 70001 is more likely to have the correct fuse the PSX needs.

10. TnVGaming

TnVGaming Member

So I grabbed a new ribbon cable, and the fan kicks on and a high pitched sound happens (I'm guessing the HDD) but none of the lights flash and the fan then kicks off after 5 seconds. Any ideas?

11. TnVGaming

TnVGaming Member

We also just bridged the fuse as a temporary stop-gap.

12. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

Not a good idea... if there was a reason that fuse blew that's related to something shorting and it's still shorting it's just gonna destroy the next thing in line. If you need to temporary stop gap grab a fuse holder(good to have one anyway) and those extremely common fast acting fuses with the same amperage rating. Any electronic store around you should have those two things. Then you're at least not risking anything, and it could be helpful for diagnosing.

[​IMG]

13. l_oliveira

That is what the PSX does when it is checking the HDD for setting up the DVR portion immediately after mains power is applied. It accesses the HDD to check if it is functional and to load any potential recording schedule it may have programmed. Also the DVR processor will power on the HDD periodically for performing "housekeeping". Unfortunately that is why the HDD dies so often on these units.

It also checks if both infrared receivers are functional. If either fails it will refuse to power on the PS2 side (power button will have no effect when pressed) and the power led will blink red.

14. TnVGaming

TnVGaming Member

I'm well aware of that fact. However, the fuse had no markings so I have no clue what the amperage rating was. I'm not dropping a single penny more on this pain in the a** until I can get it to boot again. Then I will go back and make sure everything is done properly for the next person who wants this monster.

15. TnVGaming

TnVGaming Member

I will double check both infrared connections and get back to you as soon as I can. Thank you so much for your help so far.

16. TnVGaming

TnVGaming Member

Update:

I ordered a second ribbon cable, bridged the fuse, and now all I'm getting is a red HDD Rec light. It will not boot into the XMB, so what's next?

17. vitas155

vitas155 Rapidly Rising Member

obviously the scheduled recording is enabled in the console settings, does this indicator light when I turn on scheduled recording, and does the console see the HDD? can you go through UlaunchELF for example and check the integrity of all system files?

18. l_oliveira

The red light for recording should only light up while actually recording. If the thing is powered off, you connected it to the wall and the red light comes on outright something is wrong actually.

19. vitas155

vitas155 Rapidly Rising Member

on my DESR-7500, the HDD REC indicator lights up as soon as I set the recording time, in addition, HDD ACCESS starts to blink about once per second

20. l_oliveira

To be frank with you, my country has no analog TV transmissions since 2016 and there were never a point on setting a scheduled recording. I recorded a ton of stuff with my PSX units but always on the spot record from the A/V input. Only once I recorded TV with it and it was also immediate recording.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That was in 2014, before the analog TV terminated service. Also, I no longer own the 7100 unit which I took these screenshots from.

Amazing that it can tune NTSC-M aerial broadcast (Brazil uses PAL-M as norm but some oddball UHF channels did broadcast in NTSC-M)

svotib likes this.