PSX DESR questions

Discussion in 'Sony Programming and Development' started by Armorant, Feb 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Armorant

Armorant Spirited Member

Hello everyone.
    Finaly I were able to bring back to life my few DESRs. So, have some questions to ask.
    1) How to perform a fw update action? How to get into update mode? I have update discs of cource.
    2) Have pretty much of Sony HDDs (40gb or DVRs with bad system FW on it). Is there any way to perform a clean installation to the remaped and formated but genuine Sony drive using service update discs? (by remap and format I mean using sw like victoria dos and something to zero-fill).
    3) Will installing an update help to remap bad blocks on HDD? HDDCheckr maybe?
    4) One of my unit boots up with hellish boot up sound and ends with error message. So, is there any way to change internal 8mb flash that stores it's base boot rom and write some valid and working backup from another working unit? I mean thats not a big deal to do something with flash more important is that I don't know if it will works or not or maybe another rom from different working unit will provide it's mac and sn numbers to a faulty unit too?
    P.S. A week ago I get Avermedia HD2 so now it's possible for me to record anything from DESR or anything that do have YPbPr. Maybe I'll be able to perform an update and record that.

2. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

Congratulations!

Shouldn't it work if you just insert the disc? If the XMB is gone, have you tried booting the update disc with xFMCB?

It's HDD-dependent, I guess.

But even if you remap bad sectors, it does not actually change the fact that the disk is physically deteriorating.
    Eventually, the bad sector count will increase until the reserved sectors run out.

The ROM is read-only, as on the PlayStation 2. The 8MB flash storage seems to be for storing a boot program that boots the XMB from the HDD, and this program seems to be an exact copy of the one installed in the MBR portion of the HDD.

IDs (i.Link, console and MAC) are stored within the MECHACON EEPROM, which is part of the mainboard.

The message may be about the HDD having some error.

All the best to you with fixing these obscure consoles.

uyjulian and Armorant like this.
  3. pinepot

pinepot Rapidly Rising Member

The following information is based on my own findings dealing with PSX units over the past years...

The following updates have been released for the PSX:
    • 2004.02.05: V 1.10 (only for DESR-7000/5000 units)
    • 2004.03.31: V 1.20 (only for DESR-7000/5000 units)
    • 2004.06.16: V 1.31 (only for DESR-7100/5100 and DESR-7000/5000 units)
    • 2005.05.17: V 2.11 (only for DESR-7700/5700 and DESR-7500/5500 units)
    Firstly, check your system firmware by choosing INFORMATION (情報表示) from the SETUP (設定) menu. If your update disc is newer, and your unit (DESR-xxxx) is supported, take the following steps:
    1. Power on the system and insert the update disc
    2. Select the disc from the GAME (ゲーム) option in the home menu (XMB)
    3. The list of updates is shown
    4. The software license is displayed, select ACCEPT (同意する) to continue or DECLINE (同意しない) to cancel the update process
    5. Confirm starting the update process by pressing the CIRCLE button
    6. The update progress bar is shown
    7. The installation confirmation screen is shown
    8. Press the eject button to release the update disc, then press the CIRCLE button
    9. The system will reboot, the POWER LED turns green
    10. The update process continues
    11. The system will reboot again, the POWER LED turns green
    12. The update process continues
    13. The system will shut down, the POWER LED turns red
    14. Power on the system
    15. The update process continues
    16. The system will reboot again, the POWER LED turns green
    17. The home menu (XMB) will be displayed when the update process was successful
    Note: not all PSX units support all features/software applications.

4. HI_Ricky

HI_Ricky Gutsy Member

but sad when hdd dead , update disc did not help hdd replacement reinstall OS :(

5. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

What do you mean? Have you tried booting the update disc via xFMCB, to install the XMB onto a new HDD?

6. HI_Ricky

HI_Ricky Gutsy Member

is it work ? coz no hdd it only RF screen , can not switch any option

7. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

From an old post by @unclejun, he wrote that it is possible to switch the HDD with a SCPH-20401 and let the update disc install the new OS there. But I don't know if anybody has really done it and got it to work, but it sounds like it can be done...

Of course, this will likely mean that the PSX cannot use its DVR functions because there is no "lba48" region on the SCPH-20401 (It is a 40GB disk).

If the HDD is dead, then you have no way to boot the update disc from the PSX itself. But because xFMCB can allow discs to be booted (even when there is no OS on the HDD), I guess you can boot the update disc from xFMCB, with the PSX.

8. pinepot

@HI_Ricky: I'm curious, what do you mean by "only RF screen"? If you are stuck with TV channel static once the PSX turns on, there's a way to get rid of that...

@sp193: That would be awesome, although one would have to make sure to use an update disc compatible to their respective DESR-xxxx unit I guess. I always wondered if the update discs write any information to the system memory and not just the HDD, since my 5100/S is actually identified as "5100/S" in the system settings (本体の設定), not just as a "5100".

9. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

If one inserts an incompatible disc, does the console boot the disc first before an error message is displayed? If so, then there should be a runtime check on the updater executable itself.

Did your console originally identify as a DESR-5100, before you updated it? If so, then the EEPROM probably got updated.
    There is a function (sceCdWriteMN) for updating the Model Name, but I think it got disabled with the Dragon MECHACON.

Mine identifies as a DESR-5100, running v1.31.

10. pinepot

I do not have the V 2.11 version to test with my units (7000, 5100/S), both currently running V 1.31.
    However, upon booting the V 1.31 or V 1.20 update discs, the update screen is briefly shown, followed by an error message (既に最近のソフトウェアに、更新されているため、アップデートを終了します。) saying that the update process is ended because the software has already been renewed. Makes sense.
    I assume if I inserted the V 2.11 disc, I'd get a similar message saying the system is not compatible with that software.
    Identified as 5100/S with V 1.31 installed. I assume alls 5100/S units came with V 1.31 preinstalled, because that update had been released a month prior to the initial sale of the 5100/S.

11. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

But is the message displayed after the PlayStation 2 screen? If so, then we can establish that the update discs are the ones that have runtime checks against the installed firmware and hardware model.

Ah okay. But if the console already had the S in its model name, then we cannot say that the model name was ever updated.

pool7 likes this.
  12. pinepot

Yes, the Playstation 2 screen appears first, briefly followed by the update disc's screen (アップデートディスク Ver. x.xx). The disc stops spinning and the PSX error message is displayed as expected.