PSX DESR 5000/5500/7500

Discussion in 'Repair, Restoration, Conservation and Preservation' started by Armorant, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Armorant

Armorant Spirited Member

Hello everyone.
    Better to start the story from the beginning. I have four PSX DESR's. I really like to spend my time working with PS2 consoles and of course with PSX.
    1. My very first is 5000 and it's a primary unit for all experiments. It has not two case parts: one that covers Memory Cards and etc, and the second for covering it's back with A/V, D-Terminal and others type of connectors. XMB still starts up, but when I want to return from game to the XMB by using R1+R2+L1+L2+Select+Start combination it start to hang everytime on black screen. The DVR'S laser SF-DB11 is out of working(.
    2. The second one is 7100. It still has void sticker on it and it is in great condition. Absolutely working unit. I keep it in its cardbox. For the bad times)
    3. Last buy was two junk units: 5500 and 7500.
    The 5500.
    Every time I plug in the power cord into console the red led appears, cooler starts to work and the HDD Access led starts to light (witout sparking, unblinkingly). In that time the internal HDD must start to spin out, but I can't hear it. It doesnt spin out. When I try to turn it on the PSX logo appears but there is no sound and next thing is a black screen. The FMCB card boot up and its logo appears but it doesnt react on any button to launch the ULE. 5500 has 160GB Maxtor HDD inside and it spins out when I take it out of the PSX and connect it to the 4pin PC power conector (I dont connect the IDE interface cause it might remap the HDD in Windows). But when I connect HDDs broad ribbon cable to the the PSX motherboard and starts to power on the HDD from the 4pin PC it does'nt spin. So the main problem of 5500 is that the HDD not initialize - doesnt spin at all and not cause of bad blocks. Seems it drive (and SF-DB11) works cause when I insert the 1.10 Update disk sometimes it starts to spin, but still the special service menu doesnt appears. (I dont know how the update process works and looks like). Of cource I know that I need 2.11 but I can't find it to buy. Also I use 250GB from 7500 to tru it in 5500. Same results(.
    The 7500
    It had void sticker on it. Where is no red led or any other reaction to the power. The power supply unit seems working - it has two pairs of GNDs and two pairs of 12V. The internal HDD is 250GB HITACHI HDS722525VLAT80. Cause of void sticker it is not refurbished. 7500 in a very good condition inside and with a big chance it has abolutely working DVR-ROM.
    4. I also have Update disks 1.10, 1.20, 1.31
    So the questions are:
    -How could I dump the HDDs sectors most fully and correctly and the HDDs PCB firmware?
    -Are all of the PSX have the same model? I mean I want to use 5500 or 7500 DVR-ROM in my 5000.
    -Can I use 160GB Maxtor from 5500 in my 5000 by using the 1.31 update disk? Of course firstly I have to gain the HDD dump and have to repair/change the DVR-ROM.
    -Does the 5500 and 7500 motherboards can replace each over?
    -I checked the PSXs 4pin HDD power. Seems it has 12V. But why there is no sound during the PSX logo? That problem might have the same cause as not spinings HDDs. Stabilizers?
    So, it takes almost eternity to write it, thank you for your time. \0/

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  2. l_oliveira

l_oliveira Officer at Arms

Let's start with the basic stuff:

We have two kinds of motherboards:

XPD-001
    DESR-5000/5100/7000/7100 (1.10/1.20/1.31)

XPD-005
    DESR-5500/7500/5700/7700 (2.0/2.11)

The parts from XPD-001 set are not interchangeable with the XPD-005 sets. Unless you want headaches, then you are free to try swapping them around.

While having the recording laser blown prevent you from launching discs from XMB it doesn't prevent you from launching discs if you already have the unit
    running on PS2 mode (booting it from a MC with FMCB or launching some bootable PS2 software from the HDD will put it in that mode). I presume that's
    how you are launching the update discs, right ?

While the update discs seem to contain code in them to format the hard drive it seems like the darn thing does check what is on the HDD before starting to install.
    So it cannot be used to "fix" a botched (corrupted, erased) hard drive. You could still fit the 5500 HDD on the 5000 and try running the update disc. Just make sure you image it first so you can revert in case of need.

I suggest you image the 5500 drive before trying to install it on the 5000. I would try to repair the 5500 or the 7500 as it's a better model (the video recording on XPD-005 board is a lot better than the XPD-001).

These units have lots of fuses in them.

I traded my 7500 with a guy who had ruined it with the silly idea of disassembling it to fix the laser not reading discs.
    He punctured the power flat cable with the screw, which resulted on three power fuses blown on the motherboard.

[​IMG]

3. Armorant

Armorant Spirited Member

Thank you for the basics i_oliveira.
    The 7500
    I checked the XPD-005 fuses. + is good, - is bad
    ###
    PS4007-100 +
    PS4008-63 +
    TH3402 +
    PS4023-50 +
    PS4027 +
    PS4014-63 +
    TH4002 +
    TH3100 +
    PS4017-25 +
    PS4016-63 +
    PS4021-50 +
    PS701-50 +
    PS703-50 +
    PS3100 - ONLY (now replaced by FCC16-701-AD from 70008's PS7 fuse)
    PS3101 +
    PS3102 +
    PS4024-63 +
    PS4015-63 +
    PS4026 +
    PS4012-50 +
    PS4022-50 +
    PS4018-50 +
    PS4019 +
    ###
    Small success. Now, right after PSU gets 110v it finaly starts to react. The internal HDD and cooler spin out, but there is no any led activity on front panel. The HDD Access blink 1-2 seconds. The buttons (on/off, eject, quit game have no lights and no beep sound when I prees them). If I look closer inside PSX I see a red blinking led in the center of the XPD-005 motherboard on its upper side. It starts to blink right after I connect the power cord and turn off with the time when HDD and cooler became silent. It was strange to find out there are two leds at the center of XPD-005. Think, the HDD initialize normal but there is another problem. The HDD Access led works only on back panel. Looks like the whole front panel does'nt work.
    I wiil check again all ribbon cable connectors, and if they are normal I will start to check the 5500 fuses.
    Not bad for today, a small victory).

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  4. l_oliveira

The HDD is not directly controlled by the PS2. It's controlled by the DVR device (which is not part of the PS2 itself but a separated entity called "DVRP").

The DVRP CPU is a Fujitsu FR-60 RISC chip running a real time OS kernel called "U-TRON". That CPU has to power the HDD briefly to retrieve the HDD DRM ID using SONY custom commands. That's basically the reason why only SONY harddrives work on these things. If it doesn't like the HDD that is connected to the ATA port, it blocks access completely.

If the IR sensors are not detected on power on, the power light will flash red/green. So now you have to check the flat cables. Even with one of the IR sensors (it has one on the front panel and one at the top of the lid near the cable connectors panel) it won't power on by the buttons or accept IR commands from the remote.

5. Armorant

Armorant Spirited Member

###
    Red/Green lights blinking happens if I disconnect upper case with its led panel on fully working model. My situation is different. There are no lights at all anywere, the only two things that lights - the one is blinking HDD Access on back panel and the second one is the red light inside PSX on its motherboard XPD-005. I can make video about 7500's booting process, about that red light deep inside PSX.
    ###
    Ribbon cables (flat cables) seems right.
    ###
    I disassembled the 5500 and first time ever saw its motherboard. Its the same 7500's XPD-005 but without special interface with its board (if I remember right it has XDV-005 mark) that was soldered in 7500. What is it? That interface connector seems like XCP-005 with its ALTERA CYCLONE chip has.
    ###
    5500 have all fuses fine but doesnt want to spin the HDD and play sound during PSX logo at startup.
    ###
    Thank you, information about PSX impossible to find. Almost everyone who heard "PSX" think about SCPH-101.
    U-TRON, cool name).

6. l_oliveira

It is "ITRON" actually. My bad.

And about the harddrive, you can maybe try the 7500 HDD on the 5500. It might work out of the bat, because these two use the same versions of XMB/firmware.

The extension board you mention is the iLINK interface board, for the 7500. The 5500 doesn't have iLINK (DV) capability.

7. Armorant

Armorant Spirited Member

OK, I will try to use another HDD.
    ###
    And what about XCP-005 (ALTERA CYCLONE)? What is it?
    ###
    I will be searching front panel's IR sensor.
    ###
    So, the main diffrence is iLink board? Except motherboards the 7500 and 5500 parts can replace each other?

8. l_oliveira

I believe you can exchange the power supply, the HDD attachment board and the front and top lid boards (these have the IR sensors in them) from the 5500 on the 7500 or the inverse.

The XCP-005 board has the network adapter main chip (CXD9737 or something like that), a pioneer chip which seems to be some sort of MPEG video encoder accelerator and a ALTERA CYCLONE FPGA which I believe is used to implement the ATA port for the DVD recorder thing(which is part of the DVD driver board).

9. Armorant

Armorant Spirited Member

Thank you.
    Seems 5500 has a bad HDD conection. After I half assembled PSX 5500 I have powered it and PSX was able to spin the HDD. HDD Access light blinked. I turn it off to conect D-Terminal and 2xRCA and moved PSX to another place and tried to turn it on with A/V cables. That time HDD remain silent and HDD Access light remain unblinking. Like before( So, I touched the broad flat HDD cable and it starts to work again. Bad connection. Old cable or bad connector. Now I'm trying to make it stable. Good, good:) /0\

10. l_oliveira

So you're almost getting to reach a working unit ?

11. Armorant

Armorant Spirited Member

Right now I can't say that. Even if I will be able to restore normal HDD<->PSX connection I don't know how to get sound to work (maybe it's working and I hope I used a wrong RCA connector). Maybe I will have to buy new flat cable at local store, but it will probably be without reflect cover. Even if I will get FMCB card to work without working XBM it will be great.

12. l_oliveira

FMCB for PSX is a different program.(comes with the package, though) You need to install the PSX version with a different process. Check the FMCB documents.

13. Armorant

Armorant Spirited Member

I have it. If HDD not connected or has'nt the SONY firmware when the FMCB (kelf signed) will not work. I tried to lunch unofficial HDD with PSBBN and it failed. Also as FHDB.
    Hope, I will restore at least one of them. Soon I will get additional 4-5 different types of Sony HDD's and will test them. I have a question. If the drive PCB has SONY firmware and I have working PSX unit with Update Disk will I able to install XMB even if disk space filled with zeroes? Is there any special ID sector that PCB must to check to get HDD to work or install XMB from Update Disk?

14. l_oliveira

The XMB is wholly stored on the HDD. So don't zero fill the HDD without first taking a image.

Actually I zero filled both of my PSX units HDDs for fixing "pending sector" problems. Pending sectors are bad sectors which are marked for automatic remap but the HDD is still waiting for a opportunity for finishing the remapping process . Zero filling the drive forces it to remap the sectors.

So, what I did was image the drive, zero fill it. Run spinrite in it to check it's state and then I returned the image to it.

15. Armorant

Armorant Spirited Member

Thanks for advice about repair. I actually wanted to use retail HDD's (same models as Sony's 40,160,250GB) with flashing it's PCB. If disk space will be filled with zeroes it will be easy to find the firmware location after it will be installed from update disk. All for science).

16. l_oliveira

Nope. Replacing boards on the HDDs will not get you anywhere. The HDD protects it's firmware from external world. You need expensive/custom tools and knowledge to mess with HDD firmware.

Also it varies from HDD family to another even within products from the same manufacturer.

Standard HDDs won't work on the PSX. You may get 40GB SONY HDDs to work with it but you won't get standard HDDs to work with it, at all.

17. Armorant

Armorant Spirited Member

I was wrong.
    Good news - sound works. Bad news... If HDD's broad flat cable is connected, when the PSX will not spin the HDD and the HDD Access light constantly. If I disconnect it - the HDD start to spin. Maybe something not right with motherboard. I dont know where to dig. Maybe you can advice? I have a very good soldering skill and my instruments also not so bad. I have many PS2 slim to use them as donors.
    As before, front panel not react, HDD Access blink on back panel, HDD is spining, red light deep inside PSX is blink.

18. animaquina

animaquina Newly Registered

I have a unit with the exact same problem as your 7500. Mine is a 7100. The cooler and HDD spins, the back light blinks, but there's nothing on the front panel... did you get it to work?

Thx

19. Armorant

Armorant Spirited Member

Hello, nope. I opened it onced again a mounth or two ago but no luck. Maybe I shoul try to solder a serial cable to EE.

20. animaquina

animaquina Newly Registered

I'll open it tonight for the first time and try things out. If I find anything I'll let you know (but I'm no expert).

Armorant likes this.