PSX Betas & Promos

Discussion in 'Rare and Obscure Gaming' started by dizzzy, Feb 10, 2018.

1. dizzzy

dizzzy Active Member

This a collection of discs I bought recently from a seller. They were given to him by a reviewer friend 15 years ago and he doesn’t remember much about them - other than he can’t get more from his friend (who he hasn’t seen in 15 years and doesn’t have contact info for). Some are definite betas, others may match proper releases.

[​IMG]

Link to album of photos.

Here’s what I was able to find out:

Dead or Alive: Review Code

A definite revision from the final based on file dates. Some root files are days or even a month older than final version.

Has some micro scratches that prevent a perfect dump, but looks very fixable and I think there’s a great chance it will play in a modded PSX as is.

----

Total NBA 98: Review Code

Great shape and did a perfect dump with DiscImageCreator. There’s too many files to look through on this disc, but it definitely does not match the redump.org entry for the regular release, and has EDC

----

Treasures of the Deep: Review Code

Has some deep scratches and even a couple spots of disc rot towards the edges. A good reminder to those with protos: THEY DO NOT LAST FOREVER, BACK THAT SHIT UP.

---

Megaman 8 PSX Beta Update 15/9/98

First thing I’m noticing is the date on all the files go no later than 1996 - so I assume that was supposed to be written on the disc instead of “98”. At this point the game doesn’t even have an internal serial - just “SAMPLE.EXE”.

The dates seem to match pretty closely to the Japanese release, but on first look there is an obvious difference of executable name.

Condition: a few specs of light shine through so it won’t get a perfect rip. Some files should be recoverable. Any advice on software for recovering damaged discs?

----

Max Power: Review Code

This one won’t read in my computer, not a lot of scratching but a big one towards the center of the ring probably preventing it from reading. There’s a great chance a good resurface job would save this.

----

Ninja 26-9-08 Core Designs Ltd. 1998. (Ninja: Shadow of Darkness)

The dates of this one precede the European release by about a month. I briefly played to see that some elements were missing and it’s a WIP. Similar to the leaked rom on russian psxplanet.ru, but the copy I have has audio tracks.

Dumps perfectly in DiscImageCreator.

----

Midnight Run: Road Fighter 2

“RF2 PAL 9/25 Midnight #23 Run”. With a title like that I think it’s fair to assume this is a beta version. Unfortunately some spots of glue? Seem to have gotten on the label, causing warping of the data layer - thus unreadable.

----

Now we get into discs that seem to be likely to match released versions. I imagine often times when a game is complete, companies will make disc images, burn them and send to reviewers and manufacturing plants at the same time. But I really can’t swear on their legitimacy and now I'm just speculating.

Metal Gear Solid. Disc 1 has some scratches that prevent a perfect dump - but a resurfacing might do the trick since the disc doesn’t look in THAT bad of condition. Disc 2 dumped perfect, it doesn’t match the redump entry for MGS Europe PAL, but it dates seem to match on files. Conclusion: even if this is an official disc sent from a gaming company, any changes are probably not considerable if at all existent.

----

Time Crisis - Project Titan

Seems to match European version based off file dates.

----

Gran Turismo

Dates seem to line up to released version. Could not get a perfect dump to compare against redump.

----

Gran Turismo 2

Disc 2 matches redump entry for v1.0. Disc 1 is too damaged to properly dump.

---

Colin McRae

I checked the v1.0 Europe rom on redump and it seems to match up dates, but there are a million folders and I didn’t check everything. Despite some flaking towards the center ring - it didn’t effect the data. Still there are some spots of disc rot making a perfect rip impossible.

---

Driver 2

I compared these two discs against the correct European release, but v1.0. I found that they have a LATER date on some files, which makes me think they were just one of the later revisions in redump. I haven’t checked other Driver 2 revisions in redump, but I think my assumption is safe.

Disc 1 has spots of disc rot. Disc 2 has some light but noticeable scratches.

---

THPS 2 (Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 2)

A good handful of scratches and some spots of disc rot. Too scratched to know what’s on it.

---

Zap! Snowboarding

Dates seem to match up with official Japanese release.

---

Also a handful of promos and a newly discovered demo.

Here are screengrabs and PVD data from the discs: https://drive.google.com/open?id=10uivBTsBnzlguzgCUWw4FMrjmpBLjAVf

2. dizzzy

dizzzy Active Member

I am looking for advice on resurfacing - what's a good resurfacing machine vs a bad one? I want to be sure I take my discs to a good place. Some of these discs are in good condition with just a couple scratches preventing a 100% perfect rip.

Also, looking for advice on software to backup files from damaged discs, so I can salvage whatever can be salvaged on discs like Megaman 8 beta.

Keiji Dragon likes this.
  3. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

Keiji Dragon likes this.
  4. VerticalE

VerticalE Robust Member

http://www.dvdisaster.com
    If in Windows: http://www.dvdisaster.com/downloads/dvdisaster-0.72.3-setup.exe

I've had somewhat success by using different types of drives, depending on what the problem with the disc is. I've resurfaced quite a few disc using a homekit and it only fixes minor/some medium damaged discs. Deep scratches needs to be fixed by an industrial machine.

Last year (or so) I dumped north of 1000 discs. Feel free to PM me if you need advice.

5. Bramsworth

Bramsworth Well Known Member

Some of those are on such crappy cheap discs, I can't imagine the company OP's friend worked for received them like that. Maybe he ripped and re-burned onto his own discs. Too bad he didn't buyer higher quality ones.

Definitely looking forward to knowing more about that Megaman 8 disc.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    Keiji Dragon likes this.
  6. VerticalE

VerticalE Robust Member

Plenty of companies who did this. Even big ones like Ubisoft printed on paper and glued to cheap CDRs.

7. dizzzy

dizzzy Active Member

> dvd disaster

Thanks for the recommendation guys, will do.

> Some of those are on such crappy cheap discs, I can't imagine the company OP's friend worked for received them like that. Maybe he ripped and re-burned onto his own discs. Too bad he didn't buyer higher quality ones.

I think that's true for some of them, others are legit betas however.

> Definitely looking forward to knowing more about that Megaman 8 disc.

Based on the dates on the files I would guess this is an early port from the Japanese release to the USA or European release.

-----

Also, the seller told me his reviewer friend threw away "Piles" of review discs around this time.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    Keiji Dragon likes this.
  8. MBMM

MBMM Powered by Pied Piper

I'd be curious to see what's on the THPS2 disc but it doesn't seem likely that will happen unfortunately. Hopefully I'm proven wrong.

9. Amorri40

Amorri40 Member

Wow that is quite a collection! Do any of them have .SYM or .MAP files on them? These are sometimes left by developers on BETAs and they contain the debug symbols that make reverse engineering the games so much easier :)