PSPgo internal micro SD

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by Somechump, May 4, 2018.

1. Somechump

Somechump Active Member

A few years ago I modded my PSPgo to use an Micro SD card instead of the Sony Memory Stick M2. https://assemblergames.com/threads/micro-sd-on-pspgo.56081/
    upload_2018-5-5_9-24-15.png

Although not that pretty to look at, it worked flawlessly until recently when the adapter case cracked and could no longer adequately apply pressure to the card. I would get random disconnects.

I have seen other people do this mod internally and I thought this was a perfect time to give it a go too.

Another internal mod here: https://assemblergames.com/threads/psp-go-micro-sd-card-mod.65889/

Step one was to purchase a spring release micro SD holder, such as this one from Aliexpress.
    upload_2018-5-5_9-24-33.png

This is the adapter I have and the internal circuit card removed. (circuit card image cropped from GoodToFuFriday’s post as I didn’t have a picture)
    upload_2018-5-5_9-24-33.jpg

Next is the delicate process of connecting the two together. Not an easy job when don’t have a fine tipped soldering iron. I bent the adapter contact arms around and soldered them to the corresponding contact on the card holder. I mounted them together on a slight angle as this appeared to seat better once inside the PSPgo.

Next task is soldering the ribbon cable to the PSPgo mainboard. As there is not a lot of space available, a ribbon cable is recommended for this task. The ribbon cable is a bit wider than the contacts, so some cables needed to be massaged into place to line up.
    I found the best way to strip the insulation off is to use the soldering iron and melt it off from both sides.

Normally there will be an M2 card slot here to be removed first, but I had already done that earlier. Not the easiest item to remove either.

Next is attaching the other end of the ribbon cable to the adapter. This end is a lot easier as the pads are bigger. I stripped the ribbon back further to allow for the connectors to be folded into position to line up with the adapter pads.

For the card to fit in the case some plastic had to be removed. The shroud from around a screw, a small piece of upright and the white piece behind the card slot.
    upload_2018-5-5_9-24-33.png

I put it all together and was going to see how it lined up before applying some glue, but found that it sits and functions perfectly, so I kept it as is without glue. It is just floating there but there is not a lot of movement as the short length of the ribbon cable stops it from pushing inwards. Card is easily ejected and inserted.

2. Friend of Sonic

Friend of Sonic Spirited Member

Nicely done. What's the highest SD card that the PSP Go will read/understand?

3. Somechump

Somechump Active Member

The other user who did this mod, GoodTofuFriday, has a 128GB card.
    I have a 64GB card even though the website I bought the adapter from says it can only take upto 32GB.

4. angelwolf71885

angelwolf71885 Dauntless Member

would be cool if this adapter could be put into production free us from the expensive sony micro cards

5. GoodTofuFriday

GoodTofuFriday Site Supporter 2015,2016,2017

Hey nice. I have actually been planning to upgrade my mod to use ribbon cable as well so that the fit is better.

6. GoodTofuFriday

GoodTofuFriday Site Supporter 2015,2016,2017

If anyone happens upon this: Ribbon cable as wires is the way to go. And even better if you use a m2 adapter with as small a glob top as possible. It's pretty much luck of the draw on that second part but the adapters are so cheap you can just buy a few and use the smallest one.