PSP Home Console Conversion

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by Hennessyslick, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Hennessyslick

Hennessyslick Tactical Espionage Action

Had a strange thought whilst playing my PSP through component to my TV the other day:

Would it be possible to convert a PSP into some kind of home console (like the PSTV is to the PS Vita)?

I'm sure I'm not the only person that's thought of this, and the fact that I can't find it online already implies that it doesn't exist for a reason.

Am I a complete numbskull for thinking this would be good? Don't get me wrong, I like that my PSP can plug in to my TV and then can be taken away and played on the go - but it's a pain to rely on battery power, and if you have to plug your psp into your TV, and a charger into the PSP, it gets a bit unwieldy. I've heard of plug-ins for a DS3 controller, why not wholesale make it into a console unit?

Just looking for thoughts at this stage really.

Feel free to deride me if this is stupid.

2. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator Staff Member

A lot of people use the PSP Go, the downside being no UMD support. But it has a convenient dock, where you can have the component and power cables plugged in at the same time, and does support the DS3, although youll need a PS3 or a special PC program to sync the two.

3. Bearking

Bearking Konsolkongen

4. PixelButts

PixelButts Well Known Member

This is obnoxiously well done. Well done man. How well did the video output handle? Max res?

Durandal likes this.
  5. Bearking

Bearking Konsolkongen

Thank you :) I just used regular component 480p with the borders. Running that through my XRGB Framemeister allows me to scale that to a very sharp and clean 1080p.

Truth be told though, I've barely used it since I made it. I'm thinking about making a new improved version in the near future, as there is things I'm not satisfied with.

6. LeHaM

LeHaM Site Soldier

I wonder how hard it would be to make it a slot loading system, kinda like a really old cd rom drive with a little door on the front

7. tichua

tichua Site Supporter 2012,2013,2014,2015

This is an amazing mod. Would you by any chance consider selling it to fund your newly improved build ;) ?

8. Bearking

Bearking Konsolkongen

While I'm flattered that you think it good enough to buy, I don't think it nearly good enough to sell :)

I wouldn't want to sell something that uses hotglue and might break in shipping. It's not up to my current standards. I would never sell anything I'm not a 100% satisfied with :)

9. power7714

power7714 Active Member

I'm currently working with an electronics engineer to create a consolized PSP that will be sturdy, reproduceable, and purchaseable. Also working on a system that has both PS3 and PSP UMD support. Also working on a UMD drive accessory for Android ;)

theps1master likes this.
  10. wilykat

wilykat Site Supporter 2013

Don't really need to hack the console, it already has TV out and wireless support. Someone mentioned PS3 can be used but it needs program to sync. So you just get a dock, set it up with PS3 controller, power, and TV out and it's mini console. I don't know if you can rip out the internal LCD panel so it won't be distracting.

Since the disc system just "drops" into place when you close the flap, it is possible to make a VCR-esque loading and eject mechanism to load discs. This would probably be under "Just because I can" mod. :D I believe someone was able to hack a NES to load game pak like VCR, Ben Heck I think? Look up his work and see if you can figure out how to duplicate the loading mechanism and shrink it to PSP size.

LeHaM likes this.
  11. PixelButts

PixelButts Well Known Member

I dont see how you plan to succeed here honestly. That's one hell of a task to take on.
    This is far more reasonable but I question the practicality

12. power7714

power7714 Active Member

We'll see how they play out once done. The drive accessory is almost finished. ;)
    I requested the drive because i wanted to be able to play my UMD's on my phone. I got the idea from the release of the Smartboy by Hyperkin. At the very least, I'll have what i wanted even if no one else is interested. :D

13. Hennessyslick

Hennessyslick Tactical Espionage Action

Sounds like a pretty sweet setup to have, but syncing the controller sounds kind of tiresome. Then again, so does hard-modding a PSP home console. Since I already own two PSPs, I'm not in a hurry to buy a third, especially since it's got proprietary connections/different memory card that wouldn't hold all 60gb of my games. However, this is certainly a great suggestion and I'm sure it would work for some people.

Wow. I knew somebody out there had done it, I was just searching using the wrong terminology. I'm impressed and inspired.

This is basically what I was imagining but 10x better.

I also managed to find someone that used a similar method on youtube - (I haven't watched all 4 parts yet, just the first) though I'd rather have a straight Pro Duo port than an SD Card as they did - that way I could easily take the card out of my PSP after I've been playing on the go, pop it in my PS(not)P, and play on a big screen.

Definitely interested in finding out how your projects go, they're certainly ambitious! It'd be cool to replace the memory card slots on the early PS3 models with a UMD drive, but I imagine it lacks the space...