Pseudo Saturn Compatibility Chart

Discussion in 'Sega Saturn Programming and Development' started by zorlon, Aug 20, 2014.

1. jrio

jrio Rising Member

If you don't mind destroying the motor for your cdrom drive and know how to solder in a new one, then yes, swapping works. I know from decades of experience with doing maintenance on Saturns that the swap method will in fact ruin your cd drive motor. It can be replaced, but you can avoid this altogether by using the new soft mod. And the "any software will work" concept is why there is so much garbage floating around the internet that isn't verified and half the time doesn't work. It took us years to get everything redumped properly.

E0m9GHx.jpg
    ptgkF8g.jpg
    nXzgD7G.jpg

Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
  2. zorlon

zorlon Spirited Member

Asides from Sim City 2000 and the slight edit to Nanatsu Kaze No Shima Monogatari I will leave the others out for now until verified

I already sorted your list in Notepad and was adding them from that ;) though yeah for the next update if you can post em in alpha order that would be a huge help, it did take me some time just to sort through your list before going ahead and adding them, in-fact had those sorted a couple of days back but only just got enough time to add those for you :)

P.S. Thanks again for posting your results that has been a huge help

3. jrio

jrio Rising Member

S.C.U.D. The Disposable Assassin is fully working with a lightgun. You have to load the game with a regular gamepad all the way to the controller selection screen in the game, then unplug your gamepad and plug in a lightgun. Game works perfectly with a lightgun, but I could not get it working with a gamepad during my initial tests.

It has been my absolute pleasure to help out :)

4. Druidic teacher

Druidic teacher Officer at Arms

x

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  5. sumone

sumone Spirited Member

Radiant Silvergun (JP) Boots fine, Plays fine
    Daytona USA CE (US) Boots fine, Plays fine
    Dark Savior (US) Boots fine, Plays fine
    DJ Wars (JP) Boots Fine, Plays fine
    Assault Suit Leynos 2 (JP) Boots fine, Plays fine
    Daytona USA (EU) Boots fine, Plays fine

6. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

OK, thanks for the info guys. I now understand what this is all about. Great work but I'll stick with the swap trick as all 3 of my Saturns (Sega, Hitachi and Victor) have really bad cartridge ports and I don't want to risk killing my Pro Action Replay :(

7. Omega

Omega Active Member

You know, it's like that TV show: "Everybody Hates Swap Trick" :p

I can just think about using a memory card there. Anything else is unpractical, like Netlink. Even a stock ARP+ or GS firmware/features can be added I think. Or you can simply add Pseudo whithin ARP+ options maybe.
    And you don't loose RAM feature also. It's a nice project. :)

The VCD card will be the best tool available, but for most people around the globe just Pseudo will be enough. The VCD will be for enthusiasts only. Like us. :)
    And we may also have a "CDB-Emu", like the GD-emu, PSIO...

Murphy's law. People can break anything.
    But the spindle motor doesn't work with gears, does it? I think it's just a coper coil with electric current, making it magnetic. Then it spins based on the polarity of the current. To stop the disc it simply invert the polarity for a few seconds.

:pPPPP
    - It glitched on boot.
    - How?
    - It booted. Then glitched.
    - How was that?
    - It boots... then it glitches...

Please, try to describe with DETAILS where and how it happens. What EXACTLY happens with DETAILS. LOTS OF THEM. ^_^
    Was it on Pseudo screen? Black screen after Pseudo countdown? After SEGA LICENSE screen? On SEGA LICENSE screen? After SEGA screen with the first game disclaimer screen messed up like you're high on drugs looking at blinking dots like thousands of rainbows? :p

I may be a little bit annoying here but you can try to give the correct names for the games. Warriors of Fate doesn't exist for the Saturn, since it's the JP only release. Therefore its name is Tenchi O Kurau II. But maybe I'm just annoying here. ^_^'

Anyway... one more for the list. :)

System Disc KD02 (or "columbia disc" or "black boot disc for 3rd party games", does it have an official name?) boots but seems to be useless. Although it boots like it should be (with "COMPLETED" appearing on screen), after you open the lid and try a backup the console seems to ignore the System Disc patch on CD Block. The backup spins like crazy, probably because the lens is trying to make the ring check.
    So... it boots but you can do nothing with it. Of course it's already useless, since you are using Pseudo to do the same thing. :p

8. jrio

jrio Rising Member

Well first of all, any dummy knows the cd motor was never meant to be stopped while at full spin, which is exactly what happens you swap a disc. Every time you do that it wears it down a little bit. I've seen plenty of Saturns that won't even spin up anymore. Once you swap out the the motor for a good one, the Saturn is like brand new. I've seen Saturns with wobbly cd motors which in turn wreck the laser unit so you get double the fun. Bent motor rods or the part on top of the rod that secures the cds are all the results of swapping. You've never seen any because you haven't been around long enough to see any. Again, I've been doing maintenance on Saturns since roughly 1997 and I can say for a fact that swapping out discs, especially a lot of them for people with huge collections of isos, is a HUGE, obvious, NO NO. Not unless you want to break your hardware. It's not rocket science. I've got a whole box full of broken/bad Saturn laser units and burned out motors if you want them.

There's also the wear on the laser unit. The swap method requires you to pull out the original disc while the laser unit is reading data on the disc which can result in any number of failures, the most catastrophic being a wrecked laser unit. They are easy enough to replace if you have them laying around, but why even bother with all that when there's a software mod. Also, Action Replay units are readily available, brand new all over the internet and much cheaper than replacing the motor and laser units on your console.

There are "methods" of safely doing the disc swap so as to cause minimal wear on your hardware, but I'm not going to be responsible for people ruining their hardware testing them out to perfect their procedure.

And NO, not any software will work, regardless of whether or not you are "backing up" your originals or burning some rando iso-mp3 crapola you found on the internet. Especially for the discs with multiple data tracks like NiGHTS. It took nearly a decade to get everything properly redumped simply because people decided that "any software" would work, hence the TOSEC and DARKWATER releases.

9. jrio

jrio Rising Member

1.) Graphics glitches to the point where it's not playable. This could be due to a bad disc or the game, it needs to be tested by someone else.

2.) If you had read my entire post you would have noticed the part where I apologized for not knowing all the exact Japanese titles and asked everyone to correct these as needed. Warriors of Fate according to Satakore is Tenchi wo Kurau II ~Sekiheki no Tatakai~. I do not know all the proper titles for all 1268 Japanese Sega Saturn titles. The best I can do is check them against Satakore's database and hope for a match or Alternate title. This is why I asked everyone for help.

10. Druidic teacher

x

11. Druidic teacher

x

12. jrio

jrio Rising Member

What you are saying is plausible, but I think it's safe to assume the majority of the damage is caused by disc swapping. The cd unit was never designed to be forcefully stopped while spinning up at full speed. I've seen a few bent rods and whatever that piece is called that the cd sits in which locks it into place causing the cds to wobble and not read properly. That in turn just ruins your laser unit. Although the Saturn was never designed to swap out discs, you can "safely" do it as long as you aren't doing it with hundreds of discs in a short period of time. I can't give an exact figure as to what would be safe and what wouldn't as far as quantity of discs to swap per day, but it's just not a good idea to put that kind of wear on your hardware needlessly. Most people with nice Saturn models won't dare do it as A Murder of Crows mentioned. I've had quite a few older black 20 and 21 pin models that I beat the absolute shit out of and they still ran.

13. jrio

jrio Rising Member

I was going to ask if anyone could explain the load times. That's probably it. Nicely done! The load times are horrific :(

14. Omega

Omega Active Member

But that's the same! :p
    Also, using crappy discs and telling someone else to test is weird.
    This game has how many tracks (audio and data)?
    It's from Midway/Probe? May be the same problem with the MK games.

For Sim City 2000 it may be like other versions. I think the SNES one only starts the map after several minutes. It's due to some A.I. or data being ramdomized on ram by a non-specialized hardware I think.

Does it load the menus BEFORE the map slow also or only the maps? If so, it's more a matter of bad game code and/or lots of files scatterd on the disc. Nothing optmized to run on consoles.
    Can you hear any lens noise or the access light blinking during the load times??

EDIT: Road Rash is working fine for me. Wich part of the shop are you having problems? Your disc is probably too old and is having issues to run that, since that room is almost movies only.

15. Druidic teacher

x

16. Druidic teacher

x

17. jrio

jrio Rising Member

The shop where you can buy new bikes. The "rat" bikes room is completely glitched and you can't see any of the motorcycles in any of the other rooms, only the names. All I need is for someone else to test it. If it's not appearing on their console using Pseudo then that means it's the disc. That's all we needed to know, thanks. All the other information is useless. If it fully works on one without any glitches, that's that.

Also, you don't know what kind of discs I'm using. I have one multilaser disc that runs Clockwork Knight 3 without any problems and you are assuming every disc in my collection is multilaser. Stop making stupid assumptions.

Asking for a specific list of what the graphics glitches are is pretty dumb as well. The point is, the game isn't working properly so obviously someone else needs to test it on their system and provide their results. If they are reporting graphics glitches as well, regardless of what the glitches are, obviously there's a problem with Pseudo. If they aren't reporting any errors in the same place, obviously it's a problem with A.) the disc or B.) the burn. This stuff isn't rocket science man.

18. jrio

jrio Rising Member

Like Sega was sitting there going, "Yes, let's make the motor and laser unit so tough that they can withstand people yanking their original discs out and putting in cdr copies while it's at full spin..."? Of course not. The point is the cd unit was never designed to be stopped abruptly at full spin nor was the laser unit designed to read discs which are yanked out and replaced with other discs. It's a simple matter of time, physics and mechanics. It's not even a debate about whether or not you should or shouldn't do it. Common sense should be telling you that it's obviously not good for the unit. If fact, in the 17 years I've been heavily involved in the Sega Saturn scene online I've never met one person who sat there and went, "yes, the swap method is a good idea and will not hurt your Saturn at all". At least not until today...

But hey, it's not my place to tell anyone what they can or can't do. By all means, keep yanking your discs out while the motor is spinning at full speed because it ain't my Saturns you are ruining. I just wouldn't be posting on forums telling people it's a good idea because it's not. Our jobs as enlightened individuals is to educate and inform, not spread disinformation based on hearsay and idle speculation like, "my friend said he's been swapping his Saturn since 1904 and it's still working perfectly". You are putting other people's hardware at risk by doing that.

19. Druidic teacher

x

20. jrio

jrio Rising Member

True. The original PSX model was pretty solid, the psOne wasn't :( Like I said, there IS a safer method to swapping as long as you are keeping the disc spinning and you are gentle. But let's face it, the majority doing the method probably fall under your hulking oaf category.