Pseudo Saturn Compatibility Chart

Discussion in 'Sega Saturn Programming and Development' started by zorlon, Aug 20, 2014.

1. zorlon

zorlon Spirited Member

Please provide region info

The list has been updated so thanks to all of those that have contributed to it

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  2. orcanaoftime

orcanaoftime Rising Member

Zorlon, do you want results for original discs for the list?

3. zorlon

zorlon Spirited Member

The results should be the same except for the burned vs pressed thing, i.e. the same issues should be there with original CD's as much as burned CD's so yeah you can post results from your original discs :)

4. orcanaoftime

orcanaoftime Rising Member

Ok, all of these originals work perfect:

Dayton USA (NOT FOR RESALE) (US)
    Fighters Megamix (US)
    Fighting Vipers (US)
    Hi-Octane (US)
    Impact Racing (US)
    Touge King: The Spirits (JP)
    Nights Intro Dreams... (NOT FOR RESALE) (US)
    Off-World Interceptor Extreme (US)
    Sega Screams Volume 2 (US)
    Virtua Cop (NOT FOR RESALE) (US)
    Virtua Fighter 2 (US)
    Virtua Racing (US)

I have a couple more Japan originals I will try when I flash my Gameshark back to Pseudo.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  5. Madroms

Madroms Robust Member

Someone may try destruction derby, as it seems this game makes multiple security checks: 1 on startup but also during game.
    Maybe UMK3 does the same, I don't remember.
    Some other games may do the same, they must be tracked for this project.

6. zorlon

zorlon Spirited Member

I will add that soon along with the other results pending to be added, I finally got round to testing that though.

It boots just fine to the Banpresto logo up to the Now Loading... screen, but just loads a black screen after that.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  7. cafealpha2

cafealpha2 Site Supporter 2015

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  8. Omega

Omega Active Member

More work to zorlon :p

Working:

Yoshiyuki Sadamoto Illustrations (JP) - Impressive hi-res scans of his works. Even on SSF on LCD screens it's gorgeous. Yabause can play it but not the movies correctly. Movies play on a small window that flies freely with the D-pad over the slideshow in an interesting effect. How does that work? ^_^
    Gandia Prelude (JP) - What's written before those impressive movies play? :\
    Cotton Boomerang (JP) - Another example of hi-res graphics in some screens. :)
    Deep Fear (EU)
    Sonic Jam (JP)
    Sonic 3D Flickies Island (JP)
    All Japan Pro Wretling Featuring Virtua (JP)
    Mortal Kombat II (JP) - This game is so bad that I don't know if the lags in gameplay are normal or caused by Pseudo. I can notice some frames just freezing at random. Played only for a few minutes. Does it have that "FIGHT!" voice before the battles or the names of the characters when you select them?

Problems:

Grandia Digital Museum (JP) - My copy is scratched and has even a hole but works on a modchiped console and on SSF, but not on Yabause and Pseudo. On Pseudo it freezes on Sega License screen when trying to boot the disc. I tried with swap trick and got the same results. Yabause boots, get to title screen but stops on a black screen when I select game start. Of course I can't rely on a scratched disc though.

And how and why Grandia Prelude has such awesome movies? Why didn't they use that in final version? The regular release simply has crappy movies, dark, with low resolution and poor frame rates.
    Grandia movies are like: Prelude (demo) [miracle] >>>>>>> Regular release [crap] >>> Digital Museum (bonus/epilogue) [none?]
    Technology seems to go backward. :S

My UMK3 seems to be Euro v2.0 and I can play fine on another Saturn with a modchip. With swap trick I got the same results as with Pseudo on a non-modded console. "FIGHT!" voice appears only sometimes. How bad MK games source codes are?
    It seems to play fine on SSF and bugs on Yabause. Got Shang Tsung invisible after a morph, untouchable after another and game freezing with one more morph against Reptile.

Just for curiosity All-Japan ProWres boots fine on the normal console, with or without Pseudo, but on the modded one it can't even identify it as a disc. It tries to read, stops spinning, gives no message on screen and the red led starts to blink faster (wich means problem on disc reading). It's just one of that cases that the lens "doesn't like" that specific disc/brand?

Some mistakes on chart:

Deep Fear is a 2 disc game (sorry, I forgot)
    Lunar MPEG is a single CD, I think
    Final Fight is a JP release only (sorry again)

9. zorlon

zorlon Spirited Member

At the moment the game will not work with or without the code altered to bypass the Action Replay protection, this is not what prevents it from from working, once the game is working I will provide patches for all 4 CD's for all regions that can be applied directly to a bin+cue image

I may link antime's site though rather than the patch file itself that to me would just be stealing without linking to the actual site it comes from ;) plus he has info up to go with it if I remember

For now I don't want to give false hope for a game that does not run with this even after patching

P.S. I will get back on top of this shortly :) I have just been busy with real life stuffs over the past wk or so

10. cafealpha2

cafealpha2 Site Supporter 2015

I changed URL in my previous post.
    If this patch is not enough to play panzer dragoon, you should indicate this in the compatibility chart.

11. zorlon

zorlon Spirited Member

already does

12. zorlon

zorlon Spirited Member

Updated, thanks to both orcanaoftime & Omega for the biggest contributions

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  13. Omega

Omega Active Member

Thanks for the update zorlon!

Here is one more working:

Grandia (JP)

For Digital Museum I think that the problem is really my disc. I tried a swap trick and it can't recognize the disc. Wierd, since the other console can.

In both MKs the problem is definitely bad source code, nothing related to Pseudo. Tried without Pseudo and the game even load character's moves on the fly! And I'm not talking about fatalities or morphs, it loads fireballs as you throw them!

UMK3 is probably making security checks as Madroms said. It has like 90% chance of random reset in any load until 3rd or 4th battle after boot.

Hope someone tries Destruction Derby (security check), Dezaemon (multiple games) and Vampire Savior (that problem with RAM cart in some PAR+ 4in1).

14. zorlon

zorlon Spirited Member

Is that not because the oldest AR+ only has 1M Ram that with a simple mod can be 4M Ram

The AR+ only has 4M Ram really rather than 1 to 4 that the box insinuates so the mod for the oldest just changes 1M Ram to 4M Ram

http://www.shinforce.com/saturn/information/4MBRAM-mod.htm has details for the mod

P.S. is Grandia on 2 CD's or 1?

if it's one then no wonder the FMV is low res, the PSX version is over 2 CD's if I remember correct

EDIT looks like it's 2 CD's

15. Omega

Omega Active Member

"Oops, I did it again..." :p

Grandia has 2 CDs and I don't know how they swap (shame on me I've never played this wonderful game until the end).

But I'm still curious why they used the better movies only on Prelude. At 3:28 there's something written in japanese: http://www.segagagadomain.com/movie-pages2/grandiaprel.htm

About the PAR+ mod, then we can use a simple switch on it to use both 1MB or 4MB? Just cut that tracks and solder some wires to a switch to select the modes, maybe. That would help those games that have issues on 4MB cart.

16. zorlon

zorlon Spirited Member

What games have issues???

A 4M ram card should work fine with all 1M ram games

But yeah a switch should work just fine, but I'm not sure one is needed at all

EDIT: there are 2 games that are not supported by the AR+ but those are 1M rom games and the cart is not required and only work with the cart that comes with those games as they are not 1M ram games but use 1M rom carts instead

17. Madroms

Madroms Robust Member

Some games does not work correctly with 4M RAM cartridge (and so with AR). Check the complete list here: http://www.satakore.com/cartridge.php Information is given for such games (corrupt graphics):
    Real Bout Garou Densetsu
    Samurai Spirits Amakusa Kourin + demo
    The KOF 96

18. zorlon

zorlon Spirited Member

Then yes a switch is ideal for those :)

That can be easy done (If you are good with a soldering iron that is) on the older AR+, using the info I previously posted, but the newer ones the board is a bit different so myself I have no idea what would need to be cut/linked to create a switch

Am I correct in thinking the 1M<->4M auto Ram in the Action Replay Plus is just 4M Ram rather than it actually being auto?

Still not bad that only 2 games don't really work, I say 2 because because of Real Bout Garou Densetsu Special that has no issues with 4M mode, unless that is a different game totally rather than just a release with extra bits to it, but I'm sure you can forgive me for not knowing as I don't have much interest in that series of games.

P.S. thank you for the link that list is a lot more comprehensive than the one I was using :)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  19. dgist71

dgist71 Member

I tested a cd i burned of akumajou dracula x that was patched to english region and it seem to work pretty good.

20. Omega

Omega Active Member

Mortal Kombat trilogy (U) is working. It doesn't seem to have any security check. How does it work?

I played Samurai 4 and never had any issues since the 90's. I used a chinese 1+4MB with switch and now with a PAR+ 4in1 seems to be the same. Does it happen only with the official cart? I just can say that this game is too slow on some stages and with some characters, almost like Marvel Super Heroes with 3MB mode. Is this normal? And why Samurai 4 has issues and Samurai 3 doesn't?
    I can't test KoF 96 that much now as my disc is in a really shape. That one is the only I see people complaining, though I can't recall having issues also.

Real Bout Special is a different game, it's not a simple "Special Bundle" or something like that.

Zorlon, are you sure that PAR mod is related to the cart having 4MB and they used only 1MB? Doesn't seem to make sense, since RAM was expensive those days. Also, I remember that the issue was only related to Vampire Savior as that link says.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014