Pseudo Saturn Compatibility Chart

Discussion in 'Sega Saturn Programming and Development' started by zorlon, Aug 20, 2014.

1. zorlon

zorlon Spirited Member

Pseudo Saturn Compatibility Chart
    This is to help Cyber Warrior X know if there are any issues if any are to be found.

My list is now redundant please use

http://ppcenter.webou.net/pskai/compat/

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  2. A Murder of Crows

A Murder of Crows Spirited Member

The resident evil disc i used booted to "Unrecognized Disc"

Should be noted that Major Damage had some graphical glitches. I didn't try it in my chipped system. Assume that the glitches was due to it being a beta.

Also, Cleopatra Fortune (JPN) booted and played fine.

3. zorlon

zorlon Spirited Member

Tested both regions of Resi myself and worked (EU and US, never tested the JP version though) so may be a bad disc image or possibly bad burn/cdr, if the disc image was ever patched though the header may be messed up but a quick scan and fix in CD-Mage can fix that, I'm not sure if a Mod Chip would ignore that anyway but an unmodded Saturn and the PSEUDO mod will just not like the header part of the disc messed up

Will add Cleo for you though :), thanks again for your results

Might be worth testing Major Damage via emulation though it may be as you said just some unfinished parts, so added a quick note for that

[TABLE="class: grid, width: 1000"]
    [TR]
    [TD]Has some graphical glitches (possibly just unfinished work)[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  4. r1cola

r1cola Member

Just tested out D&D Collection Discs 1 and 2

both fine, 2nd disc requiring the 4m cart

any other 1m/4m cart games on here yet?

5. zorlon

zorlon Spirited Member

X-Men vs Street Fighter requires Ram also, though I forget the exact size

Will add D&D later :) as well as ram notes, there is a list online of those anyway

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  6. orcanaoftime

orcanaoftime Rising Member

Tried Manx TT Super Bike (US), Crows: The Battle Action For Sega Saturn (JP), Judgement Force (Prototype), House of the Dead, The (US) , Shinrei Jusatsushi Taromaru (JP) and all played great.

Oh, and tried my Panzer Dragoon II Zwei (US) original and it black screens after pressing start and skipping the intro.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  7. Omega

Omega Active Member

Some tests I've done here.

WORKING:

Bio Hazard (JP)
    Sega Rally PLUS (JP)
    Digital Dance Mix: Namie Amuro Vol. 1 (JP)
    Pocket Fighter (JP)
    Saturn Bomberman (US)
    Street Fighter Collection (US)
    Marvel Super Heroes (JP)
    Riven (US/Brazil)
    Sonic X-Treme (unreleased demo/test)

Problems:

Bootleg Sampler (US) - Boots fine, plays demo videos and boots SEGA screen or videos from the actual demo games but freezes at black screen after that. Probably because the Bootleg Sampler main boot acts as a launcher for the demos and the other bin files cannot be loaded correctly since the Pseudo maybe in that address.

Atlas Disc (homemade) - Boots Atlas fine, anything you try launch from it brings the CD player screen.

All games were tested with RAM mode on or off when available.

Maybe a compatibility chart is useless at this point of development. I mean, an "uncompatibility" list would be more clean, since it would have just a few games. And probably we already know them all.

A side question: does the Atlas launcher boot official games? I only could get one to work as a multiboot game disc and was just a lucky random test.

8. cafealpha2

cafealpha2 Site Supporter 2015

If compatible games are not listed, we can't know if a specific game was already tested or not.
    But I agree to the fact that listing incompatible games is the most important ... listing them in a separate table, or listing them in a different color would be more readable.

Did you tried it to boot it with swap trick or modchip ?

9. zorlon

zorlon Spirited Member

Added the new games tested to the list, thanks to this that have posted there results so far

Note that I already had some of the games listed and notes on Atlas

Red added to issues listed under How far it gets as mentioned before just to make it a little more obvious what ones have had issues

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  10. Tgames

Tgames Member

Daytona US Championship Edition (PAL) : Play and boot fine !
    Atlantis : The Lost Tales (PAL- French Version) : Play and boot fine ! Some littles bugs during cinematics (speed up a little), and somes graphics (characters) not appears (just sometimes, for example in Carbonec (Saat doesn't appear during dialogue)) but totally playable. CD2 Change work well !
    Saturn Bomberman (JAP) : Play and boot fine ! Just little buggy sound in the intro (maybe because i'm in 50hz)... the rest is ok !

All is burned in X4 with Verbatim CD-R AZO ! (Azo work best than normal CD-R for me).
    Clone CD + Deamon Tool.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  11. Omega

Omega Active Member

Yes, I agree. Red color is a good choice, thanks zorlon!

With Pseudo, after I used the disc to install Pseudo in an Action Replay Plus 4MB without the comms link. The same that zorlon reported in the first post.

Some more tests:

Working:

Samurai Spirits IV (JP) - ARP seem to work as 4MB cart always
    The King of Fighters '97 (JP) - same as Samurai 4
    Time Gal (JP)
    Policenauts (JP) - Don't know how you do the swap for discs 2 and 3, I only played the start and the training mode of disc 1. Discs 2 and 3 boot fine though.
    Capcom Generation 5 (JP) - AKA "Street Fighter Collection 2" in USA, but there was no western release for the Saturn, only PS1.
    Lunar 2: Eternal Blue - disc 1 seems to be ok but don't know how is the disc swap for disc 2.
    Phantasm (JP) - AKA Phantasmagoria, don't know how you swap among those EIGHT discs. (And I really doubt anyone have ever played this game in this bizarre japanese dub version with ultra low-res videos until the second disc :p)
    Lunar Silver Star Story COMPLETE - AKA Lunar SSS MPEG, boots ok but asks for the MPEG cart of course. I don't have this cart unfortunately. :(
    Final Fight Revenge - needs 4MB cart. Terrible 3D fighting with lots of RAM space :p
    Tenchi Muyou! Rensa Hitsuyou (JP)
    Vatlva (JP) - Optional MPEG cart. Don't know if it works with the cart.
    Saturn Music School (JP) - Uses a MIDI keyboard that I don't have to test.
    Deep Fear (U/unreleased) - this USA version was never released but seems to be identical to the EURO game. Just some bytes are diferent in the boot code to make it NTSC as I've read somewhere.

I didn't notice any glitch or video lags in any game.

Unsure:

Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 - I'm unsure if my copy is EU, US or JP even if it's working correctly but it randomly resets to the CD Player screen when the "now loading" screen appears in 1P mode. (What a pity it doesn't use any RAM cart to cache Shang Tsung's morphs)

Just in case, the games with RAM cart usage I can only test as a 4MB cart since the ARP does not have any way to choose 1MB (or does it?). So Pocket Fighter was working as 4MB and the options screen doesn't even let me to turn of the cart like in Marvel Super Heroes. I have no way to try 1MB ram.
    For Marvel SH with a 4MB cart it shows as a 1MB cart. (Not a good choice from Capcom to list RAM modes as 1/3/4 MB in diferent games :p)

For SNK games I know they always use 4MB with ARP because the loading behaves diferent. In KOF 97 the first loading bar instantly boots the game when it gets full. With a 4MB cart it waits a few seconds even being full. I've only tested with a crappy chinese cart with a ridiculous manual external switch though.

The incompatibility with Atlas and the Bootleg Sampler may come from the fact that it has to boot twice? I mean, in collections like Street Fighter you just select other games like a diferent mode not a diferent game. But for Atlas or BS you have to load that SEGA LICENSE screen again. In the BS after loading a game demo the soft reset brings you back to the demo selection and if you soft reset there it gets back to the CD Player screen. That second boot screen is exactly where it freezes. It's a kinda of an overlap of addresses among the soft reset, boot screen and Pseudo?

12. XiTaU

XiTaU Active Member

u should add batsugun to the unworking list game starts goes through the company screens then goes to now loading and stops.

13. zorlon

zorlon Spirited Member

I'm sure you know this anyway but shinforce has a nice RAM compat list

There are only 2 games that are only supported by carts that come with the games but the cart is not required anyway, these are ROM carts though rather than RAM carts, so any carts like the Action Replay Plus is RAM rather than ROM and do not support the two games being King of Fighters 95 and Ultraman

Thanks for the update Omega, just give me more work :p, I will edit those in, either later tonight or after work in the morning (been worn out and it's catching up to me)

I'm going to test that one myself as the info on that game seemed to be very confused and can think of other reasons for it to crash that are not a fault of the loader, so just want to double check that one, though I have a feeling it will still not work, really is just to double check

I would be more inclined to play jap games if they are in english so I am limited to what I am willing to burn off, some jap games are fine it's mostly story driven games like RPG's and Text adventures plus the odd menu driven games that I couldn't really play or want to use over priced CD-R's with, something like Shooters I don't have an issue with apart from they tend to be on the hard side for me now, just not getting any younger and lack the patience I used to have.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  14. phoenix71

phoenix71 Newly Registered

Just a few I've noticed if it helps:

Bubble Bobble - Seems to load with a black screen
    In The Hunt - Seems to load with a black screen
    Metal Slug - Loads fine but shows loading screen when going to next levels, which means I don't think it's accessing the extra memory of the AR cart.

15. Jumbo

Jumbo Newly Registered

Exhumed boots fine, but the intro video has audio glitches and the narration from the King in game has audio glitches. It freezes repeatedly after you complete the first level. Don't know if it's a bad burn or PsuedoSaturn, if someone else could try it.

16. Druidic teacher

Druidic teacher Officer at Arms

x

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  17. zorlon

zorlon Spirited Member

The audio glitchery is more to do with it running from CD-R than loader issues, though yes burning can cause the same thing but it is a semi well known fact that retail discs read faster than R media. (pressed media reads faster than burned media)

Those using PAL consoles to run NTSC games (same applies to vice versa, though not sure about PAL display compat with NTSC TV's) be aware that some NTSC games may crash out due to issues caused from running at 50Hz (Psuedo only bypasses the JUE check on the disc, not the framerate), but you can fix that with a simple beginners mod to the console via 2 solder points near the battery (just be aware removing the battery will wipe out any saves stored on the Saturn) also if you are using an older PAL TV set you may need a RGB SCART to be able to handle NTSC display on most of the CRT PAL TV's, more modern TV's tend to support PAL60 and NTSC displays just fine anyway though

The PAL saturn the mod works by joining two solder points to change the console mode to NTSC and break them again for PAL mode hence the switch is used.

If you boot up a PAL Saturn with those points joined the Bios will even say it is NTSC instead of PAL and run at 60Hz

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  18. Druidic teacher

Druidic teacher Officer at Arms

x

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  19. Jumbo

Jumbo Newly Registered

My burner won't burn slower than 10x so I figured that could be cause for the error before we confirm Exhumed isn't compatible 100%

20. zorlon

zorlon Spirited Member

10x is fine another one of those spread through the internet rubbish as long as the burner is in a good working order in general the slowest speed the hardware goes is the best burning speed and the fastest is the less reliable speed even a 1x to 4x drive will burn best at 1x over 4x, there was a time that 4x was the recommended speed but at that time 4x was in general the slowest speed for most CD burners