PSA!!! USB-GDROM firmware contains code that will brick the device after some time forcing fw update

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by Anthony817, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

Hey guys, just thought I would let my friends here who do own a USB-GDROM ODE that there has been some new developments made about how shady Mnemo really is. This is pretty screwed up for the owners of that device, and I felt it was my duty as a fellow DC community member to let my brothers and sisters here know.

So it seems he intentionally put in some code that will brick the device after some certain time has passed. If you haven't constantly updated the firmware since you got it, he has admitted it will eventually go kaput.

You can read the full thing here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dreamcast/comments/bxfbhd/confirmed_usbgdrom_firmware_contains_code_that/

https://www.retrorgb.com/usb-gdrom-self-brick-timer.html

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  2. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

But... But... But... Why?

That's literally a crime in many countries.

3. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

Yeah, this is literally just salt on the wound of people who have bought this device. For a long time, I was planning on getting USB-GDROM over the GDEMU because of the ease of using USB HDD's. But now, I am happy I went with GDEMU because it is pretty much assured at this point they will be compatible with 1tb SD cards negating needing USB HDD's.

But just on principal alone, I feel really bad for how he has treated not only his business partners, but now customers by placing a hidden time bomb in the firmware. It doesn't get much more anti-consumer than that.

His excuse was that it prevents his device from being cloned like GDEMU.

4. keropi

keropi Familiar Face

cloners won't and did not bother with USB-GDROM - not because it's not a good device but because they would also need the IC from a real drive. So in the universe where GDEMU exists cloners spent their effort cracking this and make a bazillion copies to sell , the original IC that is needed is actually a deterrent.

5. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

Very true! Yeah that is the most valid point I seen yet!

keropi likes this.
  6. Dreamcast

Dreamcast Intrepid Member

Rather than admit what was done and stand by the explanation of doing it for anti-piracy, am I seeing it correctly on the USB-GDROM page that he's citing requests to change the background color as the reason for the latest firmware update? Fool us once, shame on you... try to do it again immediately after getting caught? :/.

http://3do-renovation.ru/USB-GDROM_Controller.htm

7. darcagn

darcagn Site Supporter 2013, Site Supporter 2014

That's been left on there since August 2018 update. Which is probably when he implemented this feature to begin with.
    https://web.archive.org/web/20180819015611/http://3do-renovation.ru/USB-GDROM_Controller.htm

EDIT: No, it really had to be like this for a long time. The earliest reference I can see to this "Firmware is obsolete" message is in January 2017.
    https://assemblergames.com/threads/usb-gdrom-thread.56946/page-35#post-930334

Dreamcast likes this.
  8. Greg2600

Greg2600 Resolute Member

First question, will the scoundrel release a firmware that disables this nonsense?

Second question, does the same countdown exist on his 3DO device?

9. Meringues

Meringues <B>Site Supporter 2014</B>

Im glad I noticed this thread as I think I'm on a firmware just before he implemented this, I doubt I'll be updating now :mad:

10. Teddy Rogers

Teddy Rogers Spirited Member

Firmware 2019/06/06 was released on his website yesterday. It has been stated this removes the "firmware is obsolete" message.

Browsing through the USB-GDROM topic this has been a reported problem since 2017, if you check this post...

Ted.

Greg2600 and Traace like this.
  11. masterofsonic

masterofsonic Newly Registered

Well I'm glad he released a firmware update. I came to this thread to vent about how, between the seven billion people on this planet, only two people have managed to make a publicly available Dreamcast ODE but those two people have made the process frustratingly difficult. $0.02.

12. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

masterofsonic likes this.
  13. Greg2600

Greg2600 Resolute Member

Which firmware was that??

I believe that only removes the message for now. It could come up again after X number of cycles.

14. masterofsonic

masterofsonic Newly Registered

@-=FamilyGuy=-
    Ah thanks I didnt know about that one. Im afraid that is beyond me, though.

-=FamilyGuy=- likes this.
  15. krisk77

krisk77 Peppy Member

I have this ODE since 2014 and only once I had a "firmware obsolete" message when using a Dec 8th 2016 firmware. Since that I have been using Sep 5th 2017 version with no problems, including heavy use and numerous date and time settings on a working clock battery, since I heard a rumour about time bombs over a year ago.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
    truemaster1 likes this.
  16. Meringues

I'm away for the weekend but I'll let you know on Monday

Greg2600 likes this.
  17. Meringues

Sorry for the delay, the firmware I'm on is 2016/12/08

Greg2600 likes this.