PSA: Don't buy DUO/DUO-R Systems from E-bay seller DoujinDance

Discussion in 'Repair, Restoration, Conservation and Preservation' started by voultar, Jan 4, 2017.

?

Have you bought a DoujinDance Duo?

1. Yes

10 vote(s)
    15.2%
  2. No

22 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. I won't now!

34 vote(s)
    51.5%
  1. smoke monster

smoke monster Rapidly Rising Member

I'm going to make a wild guess that he didn't use ESD-safe bubble wrap inside. Either way, it's not exactly what I would describe as a particularly wise choice.

Thanks for offering more pictures. Everything here will be very helpful all around for those in the market.

To answer your previous questions. The Genesis PSU is supposed to work, but a better (and cheaper) choice would be the PS2 Slim PSU if you have a Duo-R at least. It's the correct tip and polarity (for Duo-R) and is rated at a monster 5.6A. Since they have 7805s inside, any voltage between 6-11V should be safe.

I paid $40 for my Arcade Card list year on eBay, so you might be able to get one a little cheaper but $60 is probably the new going rate. Playing Sapphire though is priceless :D

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  2. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

At the risk of being excessively pedantic, the drop out voltage for a standard 78xx regulator is 2V - so they need at least 7V to be assured of the correct output voltage on a 7805. An LDO regulator like the LM2940 only needs 1V of headroom, so you can run a LM2940N-5.0 at 6V input and still be sure of getting the correct output voltage.

smoke monster likes this.
  3. smoke monster

smoke monster Rapidly Rising Member

Yes, that's correct. 7V is the safe low-end for 7805s, not 6V. The PS2 Slim PSU is 8.5v and I didn't want that to dissuade anyone.

OK, now back to Doujindance!

4. voultar

voultar Rapidly Rising Member

This still cracks me up. But have you taken any pictures? I'm dying to see the improvements.

5. HaloSlayer255

HaloSlayer255 Active Member

Holy sweet zombie Jesus! I think my eyes are starting to bleed! Especially of the one with all the glue on the capacitor legs. How does someone completely screw up a console like that? Those types of mods look like someone should never touch a soldering iron and that they probably ended up burning their house down afterwards.

6. leonk

leonk Rising Member

No one is perfect. We should always be learning, improving and trying our best without cutting corners.

What you see here is a result of people that think they're perfect and don't try to improve their "craft".

7. malcolm

malcolm Rising Member

Would be really interesting to see some of his most recent work. Has he had any feedback regarding his modding from previous customers? has he taken any criticism on board, and taken measures to fix it? has anyone given advice about what flux to use? or links to soldering techniques. I am all for improvement, however some people just have their head stuck up their arse and refuse to improve. Perhaps Doujin is one that does not want to improve.

Can say based on these pictures, i would never buy from Doujin. DUO-R's are quite an expensive console, perhaps beginners should practice with dead motherboards. So i thank the OP for bringing this to our attention.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  8. John Silva

John Silva #1 Hulkamaniac

I bought one in late August 2016. Anyone have any issues with that one? On mine at least, it depended on the TV.

On my Samsung, component worked but SCART RGB did not as certain games would have issues with scrambled graphics, such as Street Fighter II. Yet, on my Roku Smart TV, it works fine on both modes. Also, there was some issues with the initial TED I bought from Krikzz, but when I got the version from Stone Age Gamer, it worked.

9. MrMario2011

MrMario2011 Robust Member

I looked at the OP again - To me this looks like the original installer being stubborn by wanting to use his own method as opposed to going out and buying some quality PCBs to do the job, such as the ones shown in the repaired consoles.

10. wilykat

wilykat Site Supporter 2013

^ well, quality mod costs money and Douchejindance wants to maximize profit by using cheap DIY method with unreliable connection and older, inferior designs. I don't see him spending an extra $20 for premade boards to make his mod look professional.

11. Jord4n313

Jord4n313 Member

I know this is a bit of a necro post but please forgive me.

I just stumbled upon this post a day after my doujindance modded duo-r was marked shipped. Needless to say i kind of feel like vomiting right about now.

However, the pics on the listing look much different. He claims that he no longer uses bubble wrap, hot glue, epoxy, etc. He also claims to now be using a custom pcb instead of the breadboard DIY method. It seems all of the changes pictured and discussed on his listing are in direct response to this thread.

If my console is delivered with these changes, and looks like the pictures he has on ebay currently, would it be considered a good mod or should I look into having it repaired by someone else?

Does anyone have any experience with his recent mods since he began using the custom pcb and no glue bubble wrap etc?

Pics/etc here: http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eB...3&pm=1&ds=0&t=1517821421000&ver=0&cspheader=1

12. DeChief

DeChief Rustled.

Looks alright to me, I'd love to see pics of the inside once you get it. Have you got torx screwdrivers? If I recall correctly, the Duo-R uses those.

13. MottZilla

MottZilla Champion of the Forum

I have two systems from him. One from "before" and one from "after". Both systems work just fine. The older one was only RGB modded, no region mod. The newer one is both region and RGB modded and as I said it works just fine. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

14. Mattetch

Mattetch rebuilding collection one cartridge at a time

after watching a few of the repair videos, i found myself while watching yelling at the screen "what the ?!!!?" all while totally stunned that someone would actually sell this to someone, profound example of how someone shouldn't mod a system.

@voultar

amazing recovery, no doubt that was a face palm and a migraine headache seeing that much epoxy globs, i have seen some horrow shows too but not even remotely that bad.

15. Jord4n313

Jord4n313 Member

Seems to work well as far as the mods go, but the CD drive is crap. My torx bits dont have the security hole so I ordered some. Once they come in I’ll try adjusting the potentiometers and if that doesn’t work I’ll swap the lens out - the hop-m3 lens is pretty easy to find. Anyway, while i am in there i will snap a few pics.

I really should just improve my own soldering so I can recap all my own stuff, not worry about shitty installers, etc. I have done an OG xbox chip, one of the original wii chips, and a 360 RGH, but I also really fudged a second 360 RGH and have been quite gunshy around the soldering iron and expensive equipment ever since. lol - In the mean time looking for a quallity well reviewed installer to NESRGB my AV Famicom - though I should probably ask in a diff thread.

16. Pinta77

Pinta77 Gamecube Fanatic

I know little to nothing about circuit boards and soldering and what not, but those pictures are absolutely awful. How can anyone sell something in that condition!?

17. Jord4n313

Jord4n313 Member

I finally got around to working on the Disc drive of the Duo-R I bought from Doujindance. Because I stumbled on this post AFTER I made the purchase I was quite disgusted and nervous that I had just pissed away a nice big wad of cash. When I got the system it looked ok from the outside and RGB output seemed correct, but from day 1 the disc drive has been garbage. This made me even more nervous about what I would find inside the unit when I opened it up. Luckily I was pleasently surprised to find that it seems Doujindance has improved dramatically compared to what voultar posted. The story is not all posotive though - I could not get the drive to read reliably by adjusting the pots so I had to buy a replacement laser assembly - for the price I paid for the console it should have been flawless. If it wasnt for this thread id have been more mad about the disc drive, but instead im just thankful that the mods werent a total disaster.

As promised here are the pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edit: the replacement HOP-M3 laser was extremely easy to install (wayyyy easier than replacing a PS2 laser), and without even having to touch the pots it works great! I’ve been playing Rondo of Blood off of TY CD-R and even the redbook audio is flawless! Now if only I could find a HOP-E1 for my PC-FX.....

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    MonkeyBoyJoey likes this.