PS4/Xbox One offline Games?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Roc6d, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Roc6d

Roc6d Spirited Member

Im not a big collector but are there a lists of games that can be played offline?

Like older days of gaming when all u had to do was pop in a cart or disc and play away.

2. Mrneo240

Mrneo240 Enthusiastic Member

almost any of them?

3. sonicsean89

sonicsean89 Site Soldier

I mean, technically they all can, but a lot of the games will be woefully incomplete with just the disc.

Plus it will still need to install.

4. Mrneo240

the install takes less than 30 seconds.
    uncharted is complete
    medieval grand ages is complete
    dragon age is complete
    killzone is complete

clarify what you mean. last year (2016) i played many games on my ps4 and didnt have internet for any of it.

5. Roc6d

Roc6d Spirited Member

Like for collectors:
    Meaning can you play the game all the way through without any updates or notifications to contact to internet to play the title.
    So when the servers go down or the studios close you can play the full game on disc no issue or hacks.

6. Mrneo240

I'm still not following. I would say most of my entire modern library could be completed sans: rocket league or fortnite. Everything else would be fine.

Can you give an example of what you are referencing?

7. wombat

wombat SEGA!

I guess the OP doesn't have an actual PS4 or Xbox One console at home? Even though the majority of games released have day-1 patches, the game pressed on disc is playable without those patches, assuming it's not an online multiplayer only game of course ;) So yeah 99% of the released games you can still play online if the online infrastructure of either Sony or Microsoft ever goes offline.

8. Mrneo240

I think really the only recentish game would be some Tony hawk. The pressed disc only had a tutorial demo level and the ENTIRE game was then released as a day 1 patch.

Barring that though everything else should be fine.

9. PessimisticPenguin

PessimisticPenguin Плохо пигвин

That was some real bull they pulled. There should have been a lawsuit.

10. Mrneo240

for what? you seem hurt about it but probably werent affected and does it really matter?

lawsuit? you serious?

11. PessimisticPenguin

They rushed the product so hard they began printing it before it was even finished. When people buy a disc they expect everything to be on the disc, not use it as a code to download the actual software. They did the same thing with one or more of those telltale games, where the disc only contained the first episode. People were getting confused and didn't know they had to manually download the rest through a menu inside the game or something.

Imagine if you were someone who bought that Tony Hawk game who doesn't even have the internet at home, or has severely slow internet and have to wait a day or more just to download the game so you can play it. Or maybe you use your mobile phone as a hotspot for internet and using bandwidth on it literally costs you money, now you need to purchase bandwidth just to download the game you were supposed to have purchased on a disc in the store.

HOW would it be acceptable if you brought a bluray home, but the bluray would only work on an internet-enabled bluray device for STREAMING?

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  12. mettleramiel

mettleramiel Robust Member

I think the point he is making is what are the grounds for sueing? It's an inconvenience, for sure, but there's no harm done here and they provide the game with a download in the end. It might even say so on the box in the fine print.

13. PessimisticPenguin

To get your money back 'cause at least in the U.S. retailers refuse software returns for the most part. I would just patiently wait 2 weeks for the game to be sold out, then return it for store credit. Shit games that don't work shouldn't be immune from returns. Just like if you bought a vacuum cleaner and instead of cleaning the carpet, it just wiped it dirty with grease and oil. One of the last few times I ever visited a gamestop (I haven't shopped at that shit store for a decade now), they gave me a hard time over returning a PC game I bought. It was well documented this game's print run had an error in it that prevented people from getting past one of the first few levels of the game. I still got the return being polite but insisting on the return.