PS4 HDMI adapters to prevent damage to the port ?

Discussion in 'Repair, Restoration, Conservation and Preservation' started by s8n, Mar 1, 2019.

1. s8n

s8n Enthusiastic Member

hi members , i am planning on getting my first PS4 Slim and the HDMI problem is a bit of an issue as i will be plugging/unplugging the cable at times. I was wondering if you guys have tried any of the below , i think there will be a clearance issue for some of the adapters but others will be ok. Maybe there are better methods i'm not sure but i'd like to hear it , anyways chat soon

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DC44-HD...790158&hash=item3d84846a4b:g:xWkAAOSwCCpcdkpK

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/A91C-90...h=item4b5ede4739:g:Y14AAOSwYnhcd6Wn:rk:2:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/419D-HD...=item4b5edd009f:g:m30AAOSwAnxcd5QP:rk:31:pf:0

2. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

I haven't tried any but the clearance is pretty alright from what I recall. The PS4 Pro on the other hand is a pain in the ass to deal with (especially since its HDMI 2.0 and a much tighter socket).
    I dont see much reason to get one BUT I would advise getting one that points up or down, not the side. That or like get an extension cable and handle the connecting/disconnecting elsewhere in the room?

s8n likes this.
  3. s8n

s8n Enthusiastic Member

thanks Pixel sounds good , there's a few different up models on ebay design wise. I'll grab a few different ones and one that has a pivot and straightens right out flat.

4. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

As long as it's not a launch model you'll probably be fine. They used to break and the hdmi port would be destroyed more or less. It got resolved shortly after at least.

As long as you can reach and label them accordingly you'll make it. Just be sure that if it's an HDMI 2.0 device that you be sure you dont restrict it to 1080p with a 1.4 adapter or something. Not sure how much "4k" gaming you're planning on doing but this is something to watch for when you get there.

s8n likes this.
  5. s8n

s8n Enthusiastic Member

i am planing on get Slims , i thought all PS4's including Pros HDMI Port are flimsy. If i'm correct your saying that at some point the problem has been resolved ?. If so tell me more like what model was a better Port used ..........

https://www.psdevwiki.com/ps4/SKU_Models

also i don't plan on 4k Pro , Slim is cool for me

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  6. Nully

Nully Dauntless Member

Unrelated, but how did they mess this up so bad. I see hundreds of these per month on eBay with broken HDMI jacks; are they not covered by the warranty? This is the non-piracy reason why I don't buy new systems, I'll wait for everyone else to get screwed until a solution comes out. :rolleyes:

7. Bearking

Bearking Konsolkongen

I would think that plugging in a cable in one of those angled adapters could easily cause more strain on the socket as force would be applied side on rather than straight in.

If you think you need some kind of adapter for this, I would recommend using a short male to female cable instead.

8. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

I'm pretty sure it was just the early normal systems (CUH-10XXX). Later base models, Slims and Pros should be fine as I have not heard of this issue returning.
    I will say the adapper solution will be fine, assuming it doesnt move much, but I would still opt for an extension cable rather than an adapter. Plug it in once, never touch it again except for the other end which will be swapped around.

9. Mord.Fustang

Mord.Fustang My goodness, it's nipley out!

How often are you unplugging/plugging the system realistically? I got a Slim and have unplugged the cable a good amount of times and haven't had any issues.

+1 for extension cable if you're that worried about it.

10. s8n

s8n Enthusiastic Member

hi guys , sorry for the delay (it's stupidly hot down here 4th day of shit).

interestingly i did some image googling and found the below , there's definitely a difference in CUH-10xx and Slim CUH-20xx models. I'm not sure if the issue has been resolved , bent pins and pushed in pins.

https://www.androidcentral.com/site...6/09/ps4-slim-compare-ports.jpg?itok=uX5f2ta_

https://geekculture.co/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/ps4-slim-5.jpg

hi Mord , i usually buy more than one of a console so not to over use and i rotate. Also i play in my bedroom and my Vewlix Clone , i put the console away on a shelf after use. As you guys mentioned i may have to grab extension cables

update...........i usually watch Youtube videos on my TV so i can't read the comments to the video i posted above. But i did read them just now and TronicsFix mentioned that the HDMI ports are much better than the early launch model he also mentioned the use of a HDMI saver cable.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  11. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

Yeah it was really bad for early models, it's been more or less resolved now. I believe it was resolved with CUH-11XX and CUH-12XX but can still imagine it happening but much more unlikely. Some people are aggressive with cables.
    I'm almost certain you'll be fine with the slim, but like Mord Fustang said, if you dont think the adapter will be a sufficient solution, an extension cable (though maybe a short one?)

s8n likes this.
  12. s8n

s8n Enthusiastic Member

hey Pixel good to hear from you , TronicsFix repairs the HDMI ports all the time (i believe it's his business) and other console issues. So yeah like i read in the comments him saying the ports are much better in later PS4's he's a reliable source for the info. Also i value your knowledge as well it got me a long way from believing all PS4's had the problem. I did google 'HDMI saver cable' which TronicsFix mentioned and i found a couple of quick pages , looks good

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-High-Speed-Saver-Cable/dp/B003YKX6KE

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-8i...d=1551595096&s=electronics&sr=1-2-spons&psc=1

13. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

I would say it's a good solution. I dont think you'll need 4k compatible ones UNLESS it's a PS4 Pro or Xbox One, so a normal one will do.
    Sounds fine to me. I dont use them but then again I just change the end of the cable to a capture card more than changing which console it's plugging into.

s8n likes this.
  14. s8n

s8n Enthusiastic Member

thanks for all your help Pixel......you've been awesome and very patient , i definitely needed a source or 2 for the port info. I hope to pickup my first Slim ASAP.

15. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

I thought you had a slim already. I must warn you the slims get very hot. Some have been reported to melt on the bottom. They have very poor ventilation apparently. A slim is nice and compact, but I dont know if/when this was addressed if it ever was. Be aware that this may need some extra breathing room.
    The user you mentioned in the past has a video on this as well

Overall the later base versions are fine, the Pro might be loud because of the fan BUT later versions addressed this as well (and changed power socket type)
    I would say if you can get a later base model, that would be less trouble than the slim, but if you dont want to do that, a Pro is also an option and prepared for the future as well.

It's your call but every PS4 so far has had some drawback to it.

s8n likes this.
  16. s8n

s8n Enthusiastic Member

not yet possibly a good thing , i didn't know of a heat problem on Slims. I just watched the video you posted , very interesting. I think i have to do some more research. It's good to know before purchasing i could have been in a lot of strife and headaches.

17. Tokimemofan

Tokimemofan Dauntless Member

The HDMI issue was dealt with partially on the late 11xx units, I repair these all the time and about 90% are 10xx and 11xx units. The 12xx model still comes in often because the port separates. Slums and pros use the same port and rarely come in. Take your pick, crap hdmi or the host of other problems the others have.

s8n likes this.
  18. s8n

s8n Enthusiastic Member

i have been looking into the CUH-1200A model and it looks good in terms of less power consumption and less heat. Also going by a TronicsFix video the HDMI port has changed to a better one. Toki can you tell me more about 'the port separates' i'm not sure what this means , any other problems with the CUH-1200A ?

19. Tokimemofan

Tokimemofan Dauntless Member

Basically the black plastic gets pushed out the back because the retainer isn’t strong enough, just don’t carry it around with a cable plugged into it you’ll be fine. Different from the early ones, I actually broke the port on one of my customers systems while fixing a different problem on an early one, Sony should be sued over the early ones

s8n likes this.
  20. s8n

s8n Enthusiastic Member

ah makes sense , yes the HDMI ports should have been inspected before mass production imo.