PS4 devkit help DUH-D1000AA

Discussion in 'PlayStation 4 Development (4,Pro)' started by gamecubecat, Jul 7, 2015.

1. gamecubecat

gamecubecat Member

Hey everyone,
    Last week I had beautiful luck and stumbled upon a PS4 devkit. I know there can't be too many of these units in the wild yet and I've been having a hard time getting the thing to work, but I'd love to make it do something and share what I learn here.

(Here are some pics of it below for those curious)
    front - http://i.imgur.com/1f8QGIu.jpg
    back - http://imgur.com/IjR2vM0
    running with activation error - http://imgur.com/bJ5LNMg

Right now this devkit is running 1.05 firmware, which I assume is the launch software when it was built in March 2014. Since then it sat, never being used for any development because the developer didn't choose to focus on Playstation. . I am unable to make much use of it right now because a message reads
    "This Development Kit is Expired. See DevKit_Activation->Users_Guide."

From what I have read from sources like the PS4 developer's wiki is that the system requires activation from Sony every 90 days. The devkit can do this by presumably calling home online or reading a file via USB drive. When the system is not activated the error message stays on the screen and basic functions like connecting to the internet are restricted. I'm stuck because I am can't remove the expired status or update firmware. The only activation file I have is from a Ubisoft leak (I found online) which contained the dev 1.51 firmware, the SDK (which is useless as I have no scedev account!), the Neighborhood for PS4 software, and drivers. When I try to activate the system using the leaked activation file, I get the error "[activation file does not contain activation information for any selected target", which is probably what it's designed to do; each key should be unique to each devkit. My understanding of the key is based on this -http://www.psdevwiki.com/ps4/Activation_Key.

Is there a way to bypass this step or actually activate it to remove the expired status? Assuming the worst and it cannot be activated, is there a way to update its firmware?

I have tried playing several retail games on the system, but the devkit won't play them until the firmware is updated to 1.76 in most cases. If the devkit was running a recent enough firmware to satisfy the game but still expired would it play? I have tried installing several apps that would've been available at launch and used early firmware like Netflix via the package installer on Neighborhood, but they still need a minimum of 1.06. Of course Netflix wouldn't be useful without internet, but I wanted to see if an unactivated devkit could still launch any game or app. I haven't been able to find a single app compatible with my 1.05 firmware making it impossible to test. I have tried using the Ubisoft 1.51 update, but the Neighborhood says that the update file isn't right for the dev kit. Trying to update via USB also fails.

The Neighborhood for PS4 has been working well. I'm able to adjust all the settings of the dev kit via the network which is a neat trick. The console output works and I'm able to turn on and off the system as well. I'm given the option to load .elf, .bin and .self executables as well, although I don't have anything to load.

There are eight LED indicators on the front of the unit, but I haven't figured out what they mean. Does anyone know? There's also a black box next to these LEDs that has some mystery function.

I'll add some more pictures of the thing and maybe even a Youtube video if there's interest. I love the solid feel of the all-metal case and the "wtf is this thing" reaction it gets. Much thanks

2. ASSEMblergames_Admin

ASSEMblergames_Admin Administrator

You won't be able to activate it. Sell it while it's worth money.

And stop trying to update or put anything on it, you'll destroy what value it does have.

3. doulomb

doulomb Robust Member

Pretty sure you're screwed for the activation stuff. The bastards built that system for the express purpose of fucking with the grey market sale of devkits.

-doulomb

XboxSurgeon likes this.
  4. HI_Ricky

HI_Ricky Gutsy Member

nice stuff, i want get one too :p

5. Jack.

Jack. RISC Master Race

You lucky devil :p, too bad Sony kits are all locked up...
    I recall seeing those LEDs on the DECR-1000A, guess that's actually GPO (General Purpose Output), wonder where is GPI (General Purpose Input) though? It may be digital.
    Also, what is the AUX port on the back? That could be GPI or some external bus.
    Sell it, you're gonna get neat money. Someone's looking for it: http://atariage.com/forums/blog/607...-kit-duh-t1000aa-test-kit-prototype-and-more/
    BTW Could you take photos of the inside? That would be cool! :D

OT:
    When i saw this, i thought: WHAT THE FUCK?!
    Sony used to make the neatest looking devkits! I mean, look at the TOOL and the DECR, they are awesome! Why this now? It seems like a heavy-duty swichbox right out of a metallurgic industry! What is their problem? Next devkits' gonna look like this: [​IMG]

6. illobrandt

illobrandt Member

The update you have there is possibly a TEST and not a TOOL PUP.

The LEDs are probably the GPO LEDs. They're used to provide information about the system status and may also be accessed programmatically by the game application (for debugging purposes for example). No idea about that black box.

On the Vita PDEL GPI is set via software (via the debug menu, Neighbourhood and probably also TM API) so I could imagine it's the same case here.

I'm sure there is. ^^

7. Jack.

Jack. RISC Master Race

Guess it's dummy, there are also two of them on the back.

Yeah, probably. Too bad you can't mess around phisically with it like on the DECR-1000A.

Of course! Please, @gamecubecat go on!

8. gamecubecat

gamecubecat Member

Hmm it seems I'm out of luck for the update, at least for now. I'll just leave it in its pristine launch condition! I can always hope for more leaks later :D

I don't have the screwdriver at home to open it but here's some other pics until I do http://www.ps3devwiki.com/ps4/DUH-D1000xA_series. That's from someone else who has one. Earlier I actually emailed that guy looking for PS4 devkits and asked if he knew how to activate it because he activated a Vita devkit, so we'll see.
    Compared to the PS2 TOOL it does look a little boring; rectangle boxes are the trend now. The power button has the same chime as the retail console.

It's strange to me that Sony didn't choose to just completely lock down the devkit (ie activation screen at boot) without its license key. Even expired it still has some functionality, like talking to Neighborhood and letting you play with the debug settings.

9. gamecubecat

gamecubecat Member

I've decided to sell my devkit- if anyone's interested send me a pm. It would be better in the home of someone who better understands development or a serious Playstation collector. It's still fascinating to me so I will share more of what I learn about in the meantime.

10. Jack.

Jack. RISC Master Race

Thanks! Don't rush it, and don't open it if you think it will lower its value!

Bleah. It's sad... Also, looking at the photos from the wiki, it seems... to be using an utterly complicated chassis. I guess Sony likes it that way though.

Well... probably it's better that way. Sony locked down the execution of unsigned code. Probably if they locked it completely, it would've been easier to exploit... (I may be completely wrong here)

Hey, good luck! I think it's not gonna be difficult!

11. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

The black boxes are just plastic covers over the BT and WiFi antennas, and are not intended to be removable.