PS4 devkit help DUH-D1000AA continued...

Discussion in 'PlayStation 4 Development (4,Pro)' started by Curtis Day, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Curtis Day

Curtis Day Active Member

Since gamecubecat has sold his unit and seems to be MIA from this site I'd like to continue his post if that's not against the rules?

I have one of these units that I picked up recently and I've been playing with it. To continue what gamecubecat was discussing mine HAS the 1.76 firmware and when I try to run apps and such it doesn't ask me to update firmware it just gives an error code.

I noticed online that all the videos of people showing these units are using the controller plugged in so I assumed the BT didn't work. It does indeed work and requires the same simple setup as the retail PS4. I was also curious about if these units would boot into safe mode in the same manner and they do.

Just hold the power button in the same as the retail PS4 until you get that second beep. It displays all the same safe mode options as the retail PS4. The dev kit connects to my wifi just fine but the default PSN acct that's on it is the one form the previous owner and it won't auto login (the password is saved but I just get the loading circle) and I don't want to enter my own ID for obvious reasons lol.

There is game data on it from a game that was available digitally for PS4 but doesn't seem to be on the PSN anymore. The game website and the developer website are both down and neither of their twitter pages have been active in over a year so I assume they are "belly up". It appears as if the game is on the console as it has a game tile and there are several screen shots and a video in the capture gallery of it in action however when I try to launch it from the game tile it just goes to the game splash screen and stays on it.

At this point I have to press the reset button to restart the Dev kit. I wanted to dump all the game data to a USB drive so I plugged one in and when I did the copy it said that more than one USB drive was plugged in and to take them out and make sure one is connected. I only had one plugged in so I assumed there was an internal one or something inside the housing.

I unplugged the one I put in and tried to copy it to USB again to see what it would say. It said there was no USB drive plugged in. So I plugged it back in to try again and it said there was more than one lol. I assume this is a random message it gives when prevented from copying to USB.

I'm dying to try and reformat it with a retail firmware via USB in safe mode to see if it would become like a normal PS4 but I of course don't want to risk ruining it or taking away it's value. Anyway I believe this is all I can offer to add to what was already said. If anyone has any other info, please feel free to contribute! Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2016
  2. volt72

volt72 Killadelph

This is very intriguing Curtis, could you please share with us what game it was that was being developed on the console? If you could share the link to the game site that would also be very cool.

3. Curtis Day

Curtis Day Active Member

Thanks for the feedback!

The game is "Second Chance Heroes". Developed by "Rocket City Studios". Both the developer and game websites are down and their twitters haven't been active in over a year. Their twitter does have a post that said "available tomorrow on PS4" then only one post after that.

PSN Store link: https://www.playstation.com/en-ca/games/second-chance-heroes-ps4/

I know it's out on IOS and Android and I've seen reviews on the PS4 version but when you click "BUY DOWNLOAD" on the PSN site it brings you to the "unable to find this page" page. So I'm not sure if it was ever on PS4 digital or if the review was written from a test copy or something.

https://twitter.com/2ndchancegame

https://twitter.com/rocketcitygames

MBMM and volt72 like this.
  4. volt72

volt72 Killadelph

Thanks for sharing, I appreciate all the info. It's not everyday that you get a ps4 dev tool let alone one with a game that was in development on the system itself. Please document any of your findings here for everyone to see! If you ever think about letting it go pm me and I'm sure we could work something out ;) , Cheers.

5. gamecubecat

gamecubecat Member

I have been away for a bit but that's an awesome find! That's very lucky it was saved from destruction.

It seems like there must be a way to exploit the kit and activate it but the near nonexistent amount of them floating around makes finding anyone able to help difficult. Definitely don't do anything like try to install retail firmware on it; it's far more valuable as a stock devkit. I didn't even open mine up but there are pictures online from the FCC filings of a prototype's internals. You should also remove the serial numbers and MAC address from any pictures in case Sony decides to add it to some kind of blacklist that might hinder its usefulness in the future.

6. Asure

Asure Member

Firmware 1.76 is vulnerable to several exploits, so the machine could be compromised by software alone, no need to modify hardware.
    As said above, do not put retail firmware on it, or attempt to upgrade it. I'm hoping there are some people out there willing to guide you to hack the machine with an exploit, and copy the content(s) of the hdd to a safe spot.

7. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

Odds are the game files were deleted via neighborhood and all you're doing is launching a broken install.

8. Zecoxao

Zecoxao Active Member

i'm sorry to bump this thread but i was wondering if it could be possible that the OP would dump the kernel in all its states? i'm aware there are at least 3 of them (one for close to retail usage, the other for development purposes, and the last one for debugging).
    i happen to have a payload that does this. not sure if the OP would mind testing it :)