ps3 service manual

Discussion in 'Technical Documents and Software Tools' started by lherre, Aug 25, 2010.

1. lherre

lherre Enthusiastic Member

I don't know if it is relevant now althought is a new gen machine.

The service manual for ps3 was leaked, the link to download is "public".

2. JamesMichael

JamesMichael Light Hearted Drunk

Unfortunately due to the rules here and the fact the system is current gen we can't post any links to where its possible to get the files which is understandable because its highly illegal! Discussing might be alright though you'll have to check with assembler.

3. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

You can discuss it all you like, just don't link it.

Service manuals have great legitimate value to someone with a broken unit.

4. lherre

lherre Enthusiastic Member

Blu ray player service manual is leaked too.

Yes, now we have the pinout of 60 gb and 80 gb models. TA085 psp service manual was leaked too.

5. ASSEMbler

I was looking at the manuals, it looks like you can pull hdcp free video from the system if you were so inclined.

6. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

Oh damn that'd be awesome. I have an older Dell 2405FPW which happily accepts 1080i over component but damned if it'll do 1080p despite DVI accepting what amounts to 1200p. I ordered a HDMI->DVI adapter about a week ago and want to play around with it on my 360 but I'm 99% sure a PS3 won't accept this setup due to HDCP being required for more than just DVD or Blu-ray playback. Why you'd need it while playing games is beyond me other than forcing the consumer to upgrade their TV for arbitrary reasons.

Without HDCP I'm pretty sure my 2405FPW will happily accept a 1080p signal over DVI from an HDMI port.

7. Taucias

Taucias Site Supporter 2014,2015

You mean over HDMI, right?

8. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

9. tmbinc

tmbinc Spirited Member

HDCP is a "feature" that requires the I2C connection (that's present on DVI, too - it originates from VGA's DDC), and access to the pixeldata itself (which also exist on DVI). There is no reason why DVI cannot be protected.

In fact, there are both transmitters and sinks doing HDCP on DVI.

The technical difference between DVI and HDMI is the packetized transfer of audio and a few other data (colorspace information, transmitter name, ...), plus the different set of resolutions (all PC-like resolutions are "DVI resolutions" whereas all HDTV-based resolutions are "HDMI resolutions"). But most DVI sinks accept at least 480p (as it's remarkable similar to 640x480x60), and most HDMI sinks also accept DVI resolutions. Sometimes they don't announce them in their EDID. The PS3, as far as I know, doesn't output any DVI resolution. Not because it can't, but because it won't.

HDCP over analog is impossible, because the scrambling is based on the digital pixeldata.

10. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

My monitor (Dell 2405FPW) has a component, composite and s-video input and has accepted virtually everything I've thrown at it. I don't see why it wouldn't be able to handle 1080p when it's doing what amounts to 1200p and 1080p last night with my laptop.

Just don't kill my dreams and make me upgrade!

11. Alchy

Alchy Illustrious Member

Interesting post, tmbinc. Cheers.

Not technically related to HDCP, but there was a similar copy protection scheme for VHS etc which was called Macrovision. Unfortunately for the industry, VHS players were already in the wild without any Macrovision capabilities, and those players basically ignored it.

12. tmbinc

tmbinc Spirited Member

I'm not calling HDCP a good scheme, but calling Macrovision a similar scheme is really an insult.

Macrovision tries to confuse the analog VCR by inserting rogue sync signals. It's not that a VCR has to support Macrovision to become confused - at least that was the intention. However, some VCRs had better sync regeneration circuits so it would still work.

Macrovision is a serious pita. It's even more useless than HDCP, and the MV-specific registers of most, if not all video encoders are always protected with a special NDA that you have to sign - after you licensed Macrovision.

13. Alchy

Alchy Illustrious Member

Thanks for the correction. I went away and had a read about it and yeah, my understanding of how it worked was totally incorrect - I assumed it'd be a Macrovision "don't copy" flag in overscan and Macrovision-compliant VHS players would detect it and scramble the signal when recording, but it's nothing like that at all. It mainly seems to work by blitzing brightness levels during overscan, which freaks out the automatic luminance detection in the recording VCR. Pretty ugly solution.

I was only comparing them as copy protection schemes, anyway.

14. ASSEMbler

I see no problem posting the manuals in the 0th

15. ASSEMbler

16. teckman02

teckman02 Spirited Member

I know this is an old topic but does anyone have the files