PS2 Widescreen hacks on a real PS2?

Discussion in 'Sony Programming and Development' started by MonkeyBoyJoey, Sep 6, 2016.

1. MonkeyBoyJoey

MonkeyBoyJoey 70's Robot Anime GEPPY-X (PS1) Fanatic

Hi all! I would like to know how to force the widescreen hack for my games on an actual console. All I can find online are meant for emulators and not the actual console. I would also like to know if the hacks are compatible with other resolutions since I use GS Mode Selector when playing games. I've got FMBC, Open PS2 Loader and an Action Replay if they are needed.

Any help will be highly appreciated!

UPDATE: As my post below says, I got it working via Hex Editing. I tried all of the edits listed on this site for Persona 3 FES but FMVs keep the letterboxed horizontal bars and seem like they are zoomed in instead of full screen like in the screenshots on the site. Gameplay works perfectly though so I'll have to tinker with it some more. Which means ripping the disc again... It takes time but it's worth it!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  2. GillBert

GillBert Spirited Member

3. MonkeyBoyJoey

Thanks for the link GillBert! I went the Hex Editing route and I'm patching Persona 3 FES as I'm typing this. Hopefully this works.

EDIT: I got the hacks working via a Hex Editor. Persona 3 FES looks amazing in widescreen and 1080i! :D I'll have to edit my other games that are compatible too.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  4. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

Why did you choose to use 1080I? The PlayStation 2 is incapable of true 1920x1080.
    GSM doesn't actually boost the resolution, but just changes the video mode that the game selects.

5. DaSA

DaSA Robust Member

6. MonkeyBoyJoey

I see, so then what is it's 1080i mode? I used 1080i because the progressive scan resolutions cause the gameplay in Persona 3 FES to be double speed. FMVs and audio are fine though. Using an interlaced resolution keeps it running at the normal speeds. The game also looks a lot better in 1080i. The image isn't blurry like it is in 480i.

Ah ok, I'll have to check them out. Thanks for the link! I was going to go with the version of OPL that had PS2rd originally but I read that compatibility wasn't as good as normal OPL so I didn't use it.

7. DaSA

DaSA Robust Member

I never had any incompatibility issues caused by PS2RD from OPL. But if it happens to you, just patch the iso with PS2 Patch Engine, and here you are.

OPL 0.9.3 : https://bitbucket.org/ifcaro/open-ps2-loader/downloads

8. MonkeyBoyJoey

Alright, I'll redownload it then and try it out. I was using the version with VMC and GSM support. This would save me the trouble of using the AR disc.

9. DaSA

DaSA Robust Member

You know how to use codes with OPL ? No explanation need ?

10. MonkeyBoyJoey

I do not know how to use codes in OPL. Could you explain it to me please if you know how?

11. DaSA

DaSA Robust Member

Ok, lets do it with Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 as example.

[PC side]
    1. Create a file with notepad named with your game ID + "cht" extension. In our situation, it will be named as : SLUS_215.69.cht (! not SLUS_215.69.cht.txt !).
    2. Content of your file is :

a) mastercode of your game, in RAW
    b) WS code, in RAW

How to get the mastercode ?
    1) Check here if it is listed : http://psx-scene.com/forums/f173/master-codes-ps2rd-listings-requests-123634/
    2) If it isnt, you need to use this little app : http://psx-scene.com/forums/f293/mastercode-finder-110898/
    Unfortunately, it isnt listed, and I dont have this DVD game, so I cant use mastercode finder. :/ (! a master code is region specific, a NTSC mastercode wont work for the PAL version of the game, and vice versa).
    Im a bit lucky, I found it online here : http://www.codemasters-project.net/vb/showthread.php?7228-Shin-Megami-Tensei-Persona-3-(Old)
    It's "90509798 0c14258e" (mastercode must start with 9)

How to get the WS code ?
    1) First, get the pnach code (either from ps2wide, or from the pscx2 archive) of your game
    2) It's : http://ps2wide.net/pnach/7AE1C04B.pnach

(if you want progressive scan, add the last lines)

3. Now, we need to convert these panch/pcsx2 code to RAW. We will use Pnach converter to to this : http://psx-scene.com/forums/f293/pnach-converter-2-01-a-110108/

4. Pnach converter gives me this as result :

So, here is the content of the SLUS_215.69.cht :

5. Now that we have our code ready, we need to drop it at the right place. This place depends of what device you're using.
    If you use OPL in HDD mode, it's in hdd:/+OPL/CHT/ folder (you need to create the CHT folder if you dont have it.
    If you use OPL in SMB, it's in smb:/CHT/ folder (same)
    If you use OPL in USB mode, it's in mass:/CHT/ folder (same).
    Copy/paste the file where its supposed to be, and you're ready on this part.

[PS2 part]

1. Grab OPL 0.9.3.
    2. Follow the "How to enable ps2rd in OPL" part of this tut here : http://psx-scene.com/forums/f150/official-opl-ps2rd-cheat-codes-tutorial-123632/

If you need more help, just ask.

Shenmue_Trilogy likes this.
  12. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

It depends on the game, but the PlayStation 2 GS physically only has 4MB of VRAM. Even with 16-bit colour, it will not have enough space for a 1920x1080 buffer.
    Hence games that ever support 1080I will always have a smaller frame buffer (i.e. 1920x540) that gets magnified.

Yeah, then you do not have a choice. This is one problem with changing the video mode.

13. MonkeyBoyJoey

Ah I see. Thanks for the clarification.

I saw that there was a 480p rendering hex edit online so I'll have to try that and see if it gives the same result. If it works fine when rendering at 480p, I'll stop using 1080i and just do normal 480p or 720p.

14. vash32

vash32 Spirited Member

I don't have that problem as I'm using the PS2 Emu & Persona 4 works fine on videos on PS3 & PS2.