[PS2] Was this released? / What is this game?

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by s1xty, Feb 6, 2008.

1. s1xty

s1xty Peppy Member

[PS2] Ghost Master (unreleased?)

Hey guys,

Need some help here. I recently was cleaning up some stuff in the basement and stumbled across a dozen or so builds of this unknown ps2 game:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have 10 or so builds of this dating from April to June 2003. None of them have any sound, menus or even a title screen. Some start in a different house, but most builds show exactly what is shown on the screens. Some type of house, which I can navigate through with the analog sticks. A few npcs run around the house and often run through walls which causes some debug messages. There is a GUI which lets me select people in the house, but its non functional.

Anyone has any clue what this game is and if it was released? Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  2. samael64

samael64 Unintentional Ninja

Ghost Master! I have the PC version and it is quite a bit of fun. Wikipedia says it was only on PC and Mac. The official site has logos for Xbox and PS2, but only seems to mention the PC version. I thought I remember seeing a beta in someones for sale thread recently, but can't seem to find it, but I think it had been described as unreleased. Hope this helps some.

EDIT: More photos would be cool to see if you are so inclined.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  3. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

Yeah Ghost Master, one of the games Ive been looking to pick up for years but havent gotten to yet. Somehow I knew it was that game without ever playing it hah

4. s1xty

s1xty Peppy Member

Aha! Thanks for helping me to identify this. Going deeper on the same section of the cardboard it seems I also have parts of the source code for this and maybe a few XBOX builds (I can't check what they are since I have no XBOX - They show no data in my PC). Funny thing I noticed is that the PS2 builds use the SLES name of Alone in the Dark 4 :rolleyes: Wonder if its the same engine.

As requested here is some more footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRDqk_pG0k8

This shows the "gameplay" until it crashes randomly that is.
    This build that I discovered is from June and some of the ghost menus actually work!

5. drx

drx BLAST PROCESSING. SITE SUPPORTER 2015

Try getting a hex editor (Hex Workshop is a good one) that can edit drives directly, and edit the drive while the disc is inside it. The first sector and/or the 16th sector usually have some data that helps recognize the purpose of the disc. I don't have any XBOX protos here right now, but I can check later if it's possible to identify them based on some watermark in the data, though I'm as clueless as you when it comes to XBOX, someone with better knowledge would probably tell you more.

6. Micjohvan

Micjohvan Familiar Face

Hey S1xty and chance of seeing some stuff from the Xbox builds. I like PS2 stuff but for me Xbox is the top of pile.

It would be awsome if the Xbox version was further or almost done since it would be a easy port from PC to Xbox.

I know you dont have a XDK but maybe you could send a copy to a trusted friend or something on the boards who does one?

7. samael64

Very nice video! Thanks!
    I haven't played the game in a couple of years, but from what I remember, that is the first level, though it is missing quite a few things. Mostly decorative details in the house. I think the menus are a bit different as well. It's possible that they were developing the console versions at the same time as PC, and then just abandoned them for one reason or another.

8. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

Im always open to taking videos and such if needed, just send me a PM ;)

9. s1xty

s1xty Peppy Member

I found a version which has sound! I will be uploading it to the file section some time tonight.

10. samael64

Awesome! Thank you!

11. s1xty

s1xty Peppy Member

up in the file section!

12. kanaka

kanaka Spirited Member

as far as i know, the game was released for the xbox and ps2 under the name of Ghost Master: The Gravenville Chronicles, but only in Europe.
    Truly thanks s1xty for the file :thumbsup:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  13. Crescent

Crescent Back from the dead

That's right, I've just seen the PS2 version in my local game shop (nice front cover).

Anyway it'll be fun to look for any differences between this version and the finished one. Thanks for sharing :icon_bigg

14. Chell65

Chell65 Active Member

Very nice :D

Thanks so much for sharing!