GUIDE PS2 Tool The Basics

Discussion in 'Sony Programming and Development' started by Tomcat, Apr 26, 2007.

1. port187

port187 Serial Chiller

233MMX or Celeron 566?

As for that German thing, i'll have to check/test will come back on that later today :p

2. Parris

Parris I'm only here to observe...

233MMX

Thanks for looking at the language side. I started another thread for that as I know at least 1 other person who has experienced the same thing.

3. port187

port187 Serial Chiller

Ah too bad I was hoping on your professional look on the celeron card :/ but no worries I'll manage and make some good pix for your and others reference.

As for upgrade possibilities of yours, although they say it only supports intel CPU's that comes down to a max of 233MMX you might want to try the fastest AMD socket 7 CPU (I think it's 550MHz) they should be out there for like 10 bucks so its not a big investment and I don't think it could do any harm.. but you will have to check the bios options to see if your multiplier supports it.
    As for the memory, I guess it's 2x 32MB EDO at the moment, maybe it will accept 2x64? but these are harder to come by these days.

4. port187

port187 Serial Chiller

Can't really find anything in the documentation, will have to test some stuff tonight.
    If you want to test it already try: /usr/local/sce/bin/dsedb -nx
    not sure it will startup the file, so once inside the dsedb maybe you'll need to run reset 2 100

5. mattcp

mattcp Active Member

Paris - glad you got it sorted:) - i cant remeber if i had any language issues - will have to try again later.

Your powerpoint guide - i've grabbed it (as i need to get a few bits out of one) but i cant open it, i've not got powerpoint but have tried powerpoint viewer (both 93 and 97) but it cannot open your file :( - any ideas?

Cheers guys

Matt

6. DRussian

DRussian Dauntless Member

I didnt have powerpoint either and i downloaded the 2007 powerpoint viewer and it worked a treat.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=048dc840-14e1-467d-8dca-19d2a8fd7485&displaylang=en

7. Festerfly

Festerfly Resolute Member

i can havea go converting it to PDF if you like?

8. mattcp

mattcp Active Member

Cheers mate,

i have just been trying a couple of 'ppt to pdf' apps but not having much luck so far! - i am downloading one now that looks promisiing - but if i have no joy there i will gladly take you up on the offer!

Cheers

Matt

9. Festerfly

am just re-downloading it here at work. and will advise accordingly!

***EDIT***

Adobe requires the Password to be able to access the file to convert to PDF etc. Pretty please?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2007
  10. Parris

Before anyone else grabs the guide I am currently updating it (several revisions as the first was done very quickly and without opening a fresh unit - i.e. Matt's unit was sealed!) so I will be uploading a FAR better guide in the next few hours. If you can wait, you'll do yourself a favour!

Parris

11. Festerfly

okay matey....

NOW HURRY UP!! lol ;)

12. mattcp

mattcp Active Member

Oh right - thanks parris.

i must say, great guide tho - very professional! :)

i did manage to open it, after downloading a third version of powerpoint viewer!

i will be sure to grab the new one when it's done- but the existing one will do for my current needs - thanks again!

Matt

13. Festerfly

Agreed... :thumbsup:

Ever thought about a change of career? ;-)

14. Festerfly

That would be one of these then??
    http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K6-2/AMD-K6-2%20550%20-%20AMD-K6-2-550AGR.html

for sale here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BEST-SPEC-EVER-AMD-K6-2-550-Mhz-AGR-Socket-7-CPU_W0QQitemZ150142698596QQihZ005QQcategoryZ15921QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

15. port187

port187 Serial Chiller

Yep that's it.. tho I would first check if the bios supports the multiplier otherwise it's useless.

I found some people discussion it (allthough not specific for the tool but comparable) see:
    http://www.sysopt.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-121788.html

Especially this comment looks interesting:

K6-2 isn't exactly leading edge technology. The main issues are whether the mobo supports the FSB, voltage and multiplier of the processor you are considering. The core voltage for an MMX processor is 2.8v, so you can check the voltage requirements of the various K6-2 processors. Frankly, if the voltage is reasonably close you'll probably be OK. It's not as if you are risking frying a Northwood B P4 or anything. Although some of the socket 7 boards max'd out at a multiplier of 3.5, some of the K6-2 processors where designed to 'recognize' a lower multiplier as a higher one (e.g. board set to 1.5 causes the processor to run at 5.5).

But I would recommend doing some more reading before starting on such a project.

16. Festerfly

agreed... last thing i want to do is be respsonisble for a destroyed TOOL MoBo.. either mine (soon to be) or any one elses!

17. Parris

Guide detailed in a specific thread, which I think I shall ask to be locked when the details are looked over by UJ for mistakes. It's quite a large update and added a bit more Mb to the file size (sorry), but I want to be accurate and it has to be useful. This is OT in a very OT series of threads, so I'll let you respond in the correct thread.

UJ you have FTP!

18. mattcp

mattcp Active Member

I've got a tool here that does not boot at all (blue light etc. comes on - but doesnt power up (no HDD activity, no fan activity nothing)

Any ideas appreciated:)

19. Parris

Sounds like when I first purchased the T10k (old one). Sounds like it is failing POST, which was eventually attributed to the PCI card. If you open it up and replace the PCI card you'll probably see it boot up.

Check the existing PCI card doesn't have A) missing RAM and B) either a badly seated or dead CPU.

20. Festerfly

is this the first of the TOOL's for a full custom MoBo swap perhaps???

Sounds like an ideal candidate if it is dead.