GUIDE PS2 Tool The Basics

Discussion in 'Sony Programming and Development' started by Tomcat, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Parris

Parris I'm only here to observe...

Fair point, however as new users (and thanks to an upcoming sale I can see a few more joining within the coming weeks) appear we might be better off with a "PS2 Tool BASICS" sticky loaded up with all the information we have already obtained. We can then refer people to that rather than thread X, Y, 2, F, BB etc lol

I do agree however that a general thread (why not this one) remains useful to current users to throw material into in order to obtain new information & post oddities. It worked really well in the past as a rolling discussion, but I do think a lot of newer users might get bogged down trying to locate stuff.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2007
  2. Parris

Listen, I don't want to look like I am taking over or anything. That is not my intention just in case my input is being seen as interfering.

3. port187

port187 Serial Chiller

Ack ;) to start moving some info in to this one ( and later collected it into a info only thread ) here is some of the hardware related stuff from the 'types of test ps2's thread'

This is roughly what we have until now: (add/correct what you think is missing/wrong)

Seems there are no region specific models:

DTL-T10000 / PS2 TOOL [black]
    (P233MMX/64MB) 110/240v

DTL-T10000H / PS TOOL w/external HDD connected to PCMCIA? [black]

Depending on serial:

(P233MMX/64MB) 110/240V
    or
    (Celeron566/128MB) 110/240v

Rough estimate of newer hardware models: somewhere between 5026XX and 5032XX

DTL-T15000 / PS2 TOOL (Celeron566/128MB) 110/240v [blue]

DTL-T14000 / CD/DVD emulator for PS2 TOOL development system [no info anybody have any pictures?]

[Upgradable?]

P233MMX is socket 7 therefore probably not upgradable as this is the fastest socket 7 CPU already.

Celeron 566 is socket 370 and the bios allows for higher multipliers wich makes this model upgradable to max 2000MHz (166/42) theoretical but realistic without overclocking: the fastest known intel 370 CPU is the PIII1.4GHz.
    Memory currently used by the 566 is 128MB/100MHz but the bios shows possibilities to use 133MHz as well, still unconfirmed what the highest possible amount of a single chip can be.

(everything remains untested until now it's just based on possible BIOS settings)

4. port187

port187 Serial Chiller

Don't even worry about that, everybody with a TOOL (and even without) has every reason to give input and post their findings/tips/comments! it's working together that got us here in the first place :)
    Just as long as it's known that Unclejun should get the credits for being the founding tool wizzard ;)

5. Parris

We shall call it "The UJ school of PS2 Tool!" ;-)

6. port187

port187 Serial Chiller

Sounds good to me! ;)

By the way could you post a link here to your website were you have all the pictures of a disassembled tool? :)

7. Parris

Now that I have another unit in the pipeline I am going to completey gut the current unit - I didn't before because I was afraid of damaging it. I'll post far better images later on.

Off to post office to pay for a new Tool. ;-)

8. unclejun

unclejun Site Supporter 2011-2014

9. Parris

10. port187

port187 Serial Chiller

Howto: Remove password prompt in the webinterface

I noticed parts of the webinterface were hiding behind a password prompt and I was unable to access some links on it with the root user/password or administrator so to fix this I did the following:

But first note: to remove this you'll have to edit httpd.conf but /usr is readonly, here is how you fix all that:

mount -o remount,rw /usr

now edit the file /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf and outcomment line number 536 (line 536 looks like this: require user Administrator)

step by step if you are not familiar with vi:

vi /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf
    :536[Enter]
    i
    #
    [Esc]
    [shift]+:
    wq![Enter]

now that this is done restart apache for the changes to take effect:

/sbin/service httpd restart

Now you are free to browse the webinterface without password pop-ups.

Note: remounting /usr with read+write will only take effect until the next boot, to fix this add the mount -o remount,rw usr to your /root/.bashrc

11. unclejun

unclejun Site Supporter 2011-2014

That's useful.

Did you tried Administrator/Administrator with a capital A when the web interface asked you for login/password?

12. port187

port187 Serial Chiller

I did actually and any other combination sanely possible :p no password, admin, Admin, ps2, tool.. eventually I just gave up and did that workaround :p

13. dickibow

dickibow Intrepid Member

Very useful Port187. Luckily mine was Administrtor/Administrator but I imagine loads of TOOLs out there were changed.

:clap:

14. Parris

I would like to add to the record of images in the next few hours (camera needs to charge up as I have taken roughly 50 new images).

I literally stripped the babe to her undergarments :love:

[​IMG]

15. dickibow

dickibow Intrepid Member

Holy crap........

It's a Terminator Tool..........

May as well give it a hoover out whilst it's in bits!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2007
  16. Parris

Well for one thing, I would suggest that nobody either damages their USB ports as it is a COMPLETE strip down to get at them properly as they are accessed to the rear of the unit BELOW the main motherboard.

There is also an odd dipswitch tucked underneath the PCMCIA card slot. If you remove the PCI card, then the PCMCIA section you come to a bit of the motherboard protected and hidden from view. Remove the tape on top and you reveal this:

[​IMG]

Anyone who'd been inside the unit and had a good dig will also have possibly noticed there is a System Reset switch hidden underneath the Linux metal plate:

[​IMG]

More curious is that not far from this is a second Reset switch, but it seems to be just a Soft Reboot:

[​IMG]

17. dickibow

dickibow Intrepid Member

Oooh - you know you want to push system reset and see what it does....

Love the random screw just lying on one of the boards in the top picture!!!!!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2007
  18. Parris

Here is the motherboard in all it's glory.

[​IMG]

At the top left hand corner is a section that seems to display the EE / CPU settings for the unit (seen here on the right of image):

[​IMG]

And a last set of dipswitchs underneath the Linux metal plate are set as thus:

[​IMG]

I have mapped the wiring loom, so if someone has pulled the wrong lead / cable and not sure where it goes, give me a shout. I will be throwing all the images together and making them more user friendly soon, but I just heard one of my grandparents is gravely ill and can't spend as much time on this as I had hoped. Back to it properly some time soon.

19. limey

limey Intrepid Member

Oh, joy - I was afriad that would be the case... :crying: Oh well, at least I have the replacement bits.

Great pics, Parris & best wishes for your grandparents.

20. Parris

Sorry Limey, I thought yours had been found to be ok! Bad news! I'd be prepared to fix it for you, but it's a bit of a trek. A rear facing screw? WHY SONY?

Here's the USB section exposed:
    [​IMG]

The same USB section taken from the side you generally gain access to the unit from. Note the fact that the screw is in the other way round and therefore you need to take the entire motherboard & metal plate out.

[​IMG]

Here are all the boards lined up (a few little PCBs not included):
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2007