GUIDE PS2 Tool The Basics

Discussion in 'Sony Programming and Development' started by Tomcat, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Tomcat

Tomcat Familiar Face

Stolen from the other thread ;) Will try make this into an idiots guide to the Tool.

I have my tool, it powers up and seems good to go. Its connected up to a tv and monitor. I want to access the system to see what spec it is. eg how many HDs and what OS.

What do I do next ?

2. unclejun

unclejun Site Supporter 2011-2014

Let me guess, at the POST screen:
    pentium-mmx cpu at 233 mhz
    memory test: 65536 OK
    IDE primary master: ibm dpta-353000
    IDE primary slave: none

One hd connected to the pci board (the primary master detected by the bios), one hd connected to the board below the pci one.
    and if you have the emu board, a 3rd hd connected to it.
    The OS is redhat 5.2, you'll see at the lgin prompt.

Once logged, type dmesg to display the messages from the kernel messages seen during the boot.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2007
  3. amlicon

amlicon Active Member

I don't suppose you know the root password (or the login / pw for any other standard accounts on these) for that matter?

4. Barc0de

Barc0de Mythical Member from Time Immemorial

@LILO, press TAB-> TOOL SINGLE, (instead of Linux single), then standard reset a la linux

5. unclejun

Last edited: Apr 29, 2007
  6. Barc0de

Barc0de Mythical Member from Time Immemorial

I know, i meant password reset :)

7. Tomcat

Tomcat Familiar Face

Yup all present and correct
    Ive no login mind

Last edited: May 1, 2007
  8. Parris

Parris I'm only here to observe...

If in the process anyone discovers that they are having DVD drive issues, then hopefully these images will help you get to quicker grips with things.

You have to take BOTH side panels off, plus the back the TOP and FACADE. Once you have exposed the screws on the casing, then remove the 3 red circled screws (these are REALLY shite screws and the least amount of pressure on them sheers the heads. I am fitting new ones!)

[​IMG]

One that's done then you push the DVD drive backwards, gently in to the case. See the guide arm (circled). As soon as that pops off the metal casing then it's free.

[​IMG]

You then need to lay the DVD drive on top of the PSU...

[​IMG]

...follow the silver IC cable to the motherboard, just under the edge of the PSU. Using a very small knife, prise the brown clip gently upwards to release.

The DVD drive is a standard PS2 type, encased in all that metal with yet more self destruct screws.

9. port187

port187 Serial Chiller

Howto: Change IP

As for the people unable to reach their webinterface because the IP range does not match your own subnet this is how to fix *first be sure you resetted the password and that you have access*

cd /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts
    vi ifcfg-eth0

Now you are in VI (text editor) if you are not famililar with VI ill try to explain what to do:

press the letter [D] on your keyboard until all settings are removed and then press (insert mode) and type in these settings:

DEVICE=eth0
    ONBOOT=yes
    NETMASK=255.255.255.0
    BROADCAST=192.168.0.255
    IPADDR=192.168.0.x (replace x with whatever)
    BOOTPROTO=static (or try dhcp if you prefer)
    NETWORK=192.168.0.0
    DHCP_HOSTNAME=whatever.anything
    GATEWAY=192.168.0.x (replace x with your gateway/router IP or try .1)

now press [ESC] keep [Shift] pressed while hitting [:] and type: wq! (stands for write & quit)

Reboot your tool and enjoy your new settings ;)

*This was an example with private space range 192.168.0.0/24 if you have 192.168.1.0/24 or any other range then replace with yours.

Access the webinterface: in a browser of your computer located in the same subnet go to: http://192.168.x.x <= IP of your tool.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2007
    onza120 likes this.
  10. port187

port187 Serial Chiller

Howto Play Retail and Masterdiscs:

once logged in:

cd /usr/local/sce/bin
    ./dsedb -r
    reset 2 100

(game should start on tv after a few seconds and debug info will be shown on monitor)

to exit the game: reset 0 0

[Thanks to Unclejun for this info!]

11. port187

port187 Serial Chiller

Howto: get your VGA monitor and PS/2 keyboard working on a TOOL.

Don't use the default VGA port, but unscrew the plate on top of the Network Interface this will reveil a hidden VGA port that does work with common monitors out there.
    For the PS/2 keyboard port remove an additional piece of soft plastic.

*somehow I didnt get the USB keyboard working (maybe somebody can shed some light on that one)

12. Parris

Sometimes things just fall into place. Over the last few days Mattcp, Port187 and a few others have been talking in PM as to where they are currently at with their PS2 Tools.

From having little information, there now seems to be a dirth of information.

At the same time as Mattcp letting me know he had successfully booted a retail title, Port187 posts Unclejun's instructions.

Hopefully this will work for everyone. I will only find out when I get the laser I have ordered.... from Hong Kong!

Anyone care to take a screen shot of their Tool running retail! I'd like to see it in action.

13. port187

port187 Serial Chiller

This is the great thing about this forum, working together get's us quite far tho the credits should go to Unclejun as he is the founder of this great info we have ;) and those pictures you took of the disassembled tool are also of great value many thanks for that!! I thought it would be good to update this thread and keep all howto's centralized as it was quite messy to look up all info in the couple of threads that are already running for a while.
    Now that I got the basic stuff sorted ill go on in rebuilding my TOOL into a cool linux workstation/PS2 combo :) will try to install some additional tools like SSHD for proper remote access, maybe a nice GUI (KDE/Gnome) or whatever running and build some simple scripts to get some of you started without getting too deep in to linux related stuff.
    I'll keep you guys updated.

14. mattcp

mattcp Active Member

Just to confirm I also havnt had any luck with a USB keyboard - maybe it just doesnt work?

Cheers

Matt

15. unclejun

To run a game you can use the command "./dsreset 2 100" instead of dsedb's "reset 2 100".
    The other way to exit a game (reset the ee and iop to 0) is to press the reset button on top of your unit.

By adding /usr/local/sce/bin to the path in bash.rc (or whatever the name of the file is), you can run dsedb without having to browse through the directories first.

Matt, are you trying to use the front usb connector?
    Cause they only work for the ps2 hardware...

Last edited: Jul 21, 2007
  16. port187

port187 Serial Chiller

Also handy is adding a alias to this file .bashrc (that is only seen with ls -a) /root/.bashrc so you can start the game anytime any place with one commando, so vi .bashrc and add the following:

alias startgame='/usr/local/sce/bin/dsreset 2 100'
    alias stopgame='/usr/local/sce/bin/dsreset 0 0'
    or running the game debugmode:
    alias startgamed='/usr/local/sce/bin/dsedb -r -ebootp 2 -ibootp 100'

now you can type startgame from any place to start the game, replace startgame with whatever you want.

As for the USB, that explains it :)

Last edited: Aug 23, 2007
  17. Parris

It's a good idea to have a thread, however I wonder whether it would be of better value to ask Kevin to set up a PS2 Tool sticky. Then, if people currently (or in general) wish to sift through the main information such as dip switch settings, the NTSC / PAL dip switch, which HDD line to use, the various commands, internal images etc we can actually compile a much more organised tutorial. A couple of locked stickies perhaps with basics & advanced, so that in future people can then grab that information without it becoming garbled.

I honestly don't think anyone in the AG community realised just how much information was going to come to light or how much interest this series of discussions was going to generate.

I also agree, the founding PS2 Tool user of AG (and one of the most informative users) is Unclejun, however I think some of the material you have added recently (and that of Mattcp) is definately amongst the best material of late. It clearly goes to prove that everyone has something to add at all levels and it isn't a finished thread. However if I were starting with a PS2 Tool today, I would see several threads, many posts and the vast amounts of coming and going and think "Where to begin?"

Last edited: Jul 21, 2007
  18. Festerfly

Festerfly Resolute Member

Funnily enough I was thinking the same thing.. not from a new users point of view mind, but purely the selfish interest that is my own! :110:

19. Parris

I've added a suggestion to the Dev forum suggestions section. Anyone interested can add to that. If there is none and people feel it is a waste of time then fair enough.

20. port187

port187 Serial Chiller

My suggestion would be to spam this thread full of all the info we can find about it (also moving the model info and such maybe?) and later when we feel that most has been covered one of us can make a more clear howto by collecting all the info into a sticky? I don't see it as a waste of time as most TOOLs are probably going to be dumpt in the near future so we can expect to see lots more people joining the discussion, and for what I noticed we are the only place findable by google that actually has some decent information online.