PS2 TOOL Disk Boot Failure (Please help me before it's too late)

Discussion in 'Sony Programming and Development' started by The PlayStation Patriot, Aug 3, 2019.

1. The PlayStation Patriot

The PlayStation Patriot Member

Hey everyone, haven't been on Assembler Games in a long time.

I've had this issue with my PS2 TOOL DTL=T10000H for a while now. I've been putting off fixing it, but now that this forum will be potentially shutting down soon, I'm scared I'll never be able to fix it without help.

So I'm desperately seeking any support before it's too late.

My TOOL posts until I get the error "DISK BOOK FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER"

What do I do?
    Any help is much appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. HI_Ricky

HI_Ricky Intrepid Member

may be backup battery issue, try bios setup ,auto HDD again

pool7 likes this.
  3. the7thchild

the7thchild Spirited Member

no HDD detected. Look for the related settings in BIOS

pool7 likes this.
  4. Tokimemofan

Tokimemofan Dauntless Member

Bad hard drive probably

5. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

The problem is that we cannot tell whether the HDD is certainly bad (and hence no device was detected) or the CMOS settings are just wrong (due to the battery running flat).

For reasons, this board also has a diskette drive registered, but yet one is not installed in the TOOL.

pool7 likes this.
  6. Tokimemofan

On old bioses floppy a: is enabled by default and it is probably trying to boot from that. Obviously there is no floppy drive to boot from but the controller is dumb. The hard drive not being detected though, if the cmos battery were the only problem it should recognize the hard drive but may not boot it. I had to replace the cmos battery on one years ago and it recognized the hard drive correctly without configuration but needed the floppy drive disabled to boot from it.

pool7 likes this.
  7. davesandell

davesandell Rising Member

I would imagine by now the hard drive has failed...
    Do you have any spare IDE(PATA) drives of the same vintage?
    Just remember the size limits on replacement drives are BIOS and controller dictated...
    A Pentium MMX 233Mhz is a cool chip though :) I'm looking for one to upgrade my PC!
    If you are stuck for a drive I may have one in my PC spares pile...
    You would also need your [Windows 95\98] OS CDs to re-install and get it working again...
    I have era correct PC knowledge - but no knowledge of working on a TOOL.....

8. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

Depending on the BIOS, the IDE controllers might be disabled by default, rather than set to AUTO.

The TOOL was made to use Linux, not Windows. It also requires Sony packages, so it is better to have to restore an image from a similar TOOL.

pool7 likes this.
  9. davesandell

davesandell Rising Member

As I said - I have PC [hardware] knowledge - I wasn't aware as to what OS it runs :)

10. Tokimemofan

I remember the ide defaulting to auto, the bios is rather standard for a pc bios, I would use a compact flash ata adapter. Just make sure to use a hdd dump of a similar unit, most importantly make sure it’s from a pentium based tool and if a dvd emulator is present that the dump contains support for that. Also if the dvd emulator is NOT present you could try the other hard drive which should have the same contents the main one shipped with

11. The PlayStation Patriot

The PlayStation Patriot Member

Hey guys, VERY sorry for the late update & reply.

Hope you’ve all had a great a weekend

So, I had friend come round yesterday to open up the TOOL as I was afraid to myself and……..surprise, surprise, my Sony PS2 TOOL DTL-T10000H didn’t come with a HDD. SIGH!

Anywho, I got my hands on a 2007 HDD image from a TOOL file dump online, and my PS2 TOOL works perfectly now.

But now I have another issue with my TOOL I need help sorting out………………..
    Hopefully this is the right website & thread to seek help with my issue.

FYI, this is where I got my TOOL's HDD image from (toolhdd1): http://lorezan.free.fr/toolhdd/?fbclid=IwAR1Xup9DUvTPJ67HOlQwCgBTweHVlbnmTmFe4Ad0Jj2Nic_Pfsnwc7_WK7c

The toolhdd2 is the same image as toolhdd1 as far as I can tell after mounting it on a different drive. Except the login/password to the toolhdd1 image is root/root, but I have no idea what it is for the toolhdd2’s image.

Anywho, the issue that I’d like to get sorted is, I’m having difficulty getting RenderWare example models to load to a TV through CWComUtil.

Basically, my PC isn’t talking to my TOOL properly like It should.

Tutorial I watched:

I contacted the YouTuber who made the video and during 6 hours of debugging, I realized I had skipped a couple steps in the set up. However, even though after receiving his corrected and patched files, which did fix a few other key things with CodeWarrior, I ultimately still had the same issue.

I had given up and I didn’t want to waste anymore of the guy’s time. I felt really embarrassed, ashamed, and silly asking him dumb questions as I should be good at this stuff by now.
    Anyway.

Here’s what I know/learned:

I know that CWComUtil is communicating somewhat with my TOOL because it doesn’t time out and when it connects to the TOOL and runs the selected .elf file, the TV screen that’s connected to the TOOL switches from the TOOL’s network info screen to a blank screen, but it stays that way.

I’ve used different types of CRT and flat screen TVs with different types of official Sony AV Multi out cables including RGB Scart, and I get the same result each time.

I get these lines when I run most of RenderWare’s example .elf files through CWComUtil:

“cdvd driver module version 0.1.1 (C)SCEI

Machine Exception at 0x151fc0”

See attached image.

After downloading and trying the YouTuber’s remade RenderWare example .elf files (that work on his end), altering my network IP on the TOOL, and checking my PC’s environment variables, I was at a loss. I still got the same error.

I should mention that I’ve set my BOOTPROTO to dhcp not static, and while I’m using ethernet on the TOOL, the PC I’m using to connect to the TOOL is using Wi-Fi…………If that makes a difference. I don’t think it does except the fact that when I set the protocol to static, my TOOL doesn’t grab the default gateway IP as it does when set to dhcp.

I haven't messed around with flashrom stuff yet. The YouTuber asked if I needed to flashrom. I said no, not exactly knowing what he meant. I have a flashrom zip file. Should I use it? Will it help?
    I also have FTP server files too. I have some clue what they are, but no idea if they'd help my situation.

So, yeah, any help working this out would be much appreciated.

I also want to note that, at first, the command I had to enter to run a retail game was “reset 0x000f0002 1x100”. The more common command being “reset 2 100” of course. That 000f command worked fine with dozens of games. BUT, for some reason that stopped to work. And the "reset 2 100" command does now. So, no idea what happened there, but it made me pretty frustrated. So, it would be nice to get an answer to that too.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      260.5 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2019 at 8:29 AM
  12. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

Nobody (other than Sony) was supposed to log into the TOOL. The default root password is actually administ, as found after the shadowed passwords on the 2nd HDD were reversed.

The 2nd HDD is usually plugged into the AIF board and never seemed to have been used for anything real. Personally, I think it was once designed for the canned workstation mode, but nothing very concrete was found, other than the T10000 kernel modules from the PS2 Linux beta.
    For reasons, the 2nd HDD will have similar content to the first, although it will be older because the OS there is never updated. So we think Sony got a lot of mass-cloned HDDs and installed 2 of them into every TOOL.

TOOL units with the DTL-T14000 DVD emulator board have the 2nd HDD plugged into the emulator instead.

From your photograph, it looks like something did load, but crashed. That is however, not a message from dsedb. I don't know how to use Codewarrior, but you should monitor both EE and IOP debuggers to see what crashed.

The screen type probably doesn't matter, especially if your screen can work with all video modes used by the PS2.

That's because a static network configuration doesn't change. It's set to use the settings that you configured.
    DHCP is the default.

During development, the flash ROM is supposed to match the SDK release used for developing the game. If you mix the library versions up, it might not work.
    I think this could be the problem.

Check that the WS mode switch is set to TOOL. Since the workstation mode was never implemented, the WS option just became a backup ROM mode. The WS mode chip usually had a very early version of the PS2 flash image installed (and kept that way), and this is normal.

If you don't know what the bits do, you should read the relevant user manual from the PS2SDK.

Over time, Sony added some runtime checks to help developers detect if their code entered some erraneous state, due to some engineering oversight when their syscalls and hardware were initially designed. However, older titles may not have been adequately designed.

Those runtime checks are disabled with EBOOTP bits 16-23:
    By default, the dsnet reset command treats your ebootp and ibootp settings as numbers in base 16, which is why you could omit the 0x prefix and it works:
    Code:
    reset 000F0002 100

Before the runtime checks were added, then you would only need:
    Code:
    reset 2 100

And even further back, before they made such breaking changes to the flash ROM's IOP kernel (before they added the test mode):
    Code:
    reset 2 0

Finally, there was even some point when discs could not be booted directly:
    Code:
    reset 0 0

Are you certain that you entered the command correctly? If you enter the wrong number of digits, then the options selected would change.

pool7 likes this.