PS2 Slim with SATA SD Adapter

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by Riki, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Riki

Riki Peppy Member

I finished my PlayStation 2 SATA SD mod today and decided to share.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Case modification was not necessary but it was already done for 2.5â€￾ HDD which fits nicely without cables. It does not fit well with cable connectors; moreover it would be difficult to take it out.
    [​IMG]
    I do not have SD card with higher capacity right now, but according to specs SD adapter supports SDXC cards but not UHS speeds. Adapter is built on FC1307A chip. It’s rather new; most of them have older FC1306A chip.
    Despite low capacity (now) it has one big benefit: WinHIIP can install games with ordinary SD card reader.
    Adapter chain is rather long: PS2 PATA -> SATA (Jmicron JM20330) -> SD SATA -> SD PATA (JM20330 too lol) -> SD (FC1307A) but it works well (did not test long however).
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Power is internal, external USB used for Wii2HDMI (modified).

Bonus: PS2 VGA cable with sync separator inside cable connector.
    [​IMG]

Jolek likes this.
  2. Johnny

Johnny Gran Turismo Freak and Site Supporter 2013,2015

Interesting mod. Wouldn't be better to use those PS2HDMI converters instead of the VGA cable?

3. Riki

Riki Peppy Member

PS2HDMI I saw do not deinterlace and most TVs do not have support for 480i HDMI.
    Wii2HDMI (modified for PS2, pictured above) can deinterlace but quality on games with internal resolution of 512x384 (or so) is pretty bad. I discovered TVs have this problem too but it much less visible.
    [​IMG]

4. sparksterz

sparksterz Spirited Member

I wonder how well this would work in a standard PS2 using the SATA HDD adapter.

5. Johnny

Johnny Gran Turismo Freak and Site Supporter 2013,2015

Interesting info. Never used one of those, but was tempted to buy.

Guess i'll just wait and hope a improved version of PS2HDMI can be made in the future.

6. Riki

Riki Peppy Member

Little update.
    I tested this SD to SATA adapter (FC1307A chip) on pretty fast SD card and it seems capped at SDHC speeds with 25MB/s read (max theoretical SDHC speed). It's more than enough for PS2 but maybe a little slow for other uses.

7. duo_r

duo_r Active Member

what about games that support 480p? how do those look with this? also what pins did you use to hookup this?

8. Riki

Riki Peppy Member

I remember 480p games looking fine. Just google Wii and PS2 av out pinouts. Use YrPbPr components.

9. Jolek

Jolek Spirited Member

Hare are missing pictures from the 1st post for this awesome project:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Riki and Helder like this.