PS2 SCPH-10000 only boots to black screen

Discussion in 'Repair, Restoration, Conservation and Preservation' started by richi902, Jan 29, 2019.

1. richi902

richi902 Robust Member

besides the problems with my Dreacmast, i also have problems with my SCPH-10000 PS2. I decided to hook it up after it sat on the shelf for some months. Now the problem is, it wont boot past a black screen. i tried booting it with no memory card or game inserted. I dont even hear the sound of the boot animation. The only thing i get is a short flash when i press the power button, which tells me that the video cable is good. if i hook up the HDD and memory card, the hdd wont power on, which tells me there must be something wrong with the system. some month ago the system was working fine with HDD.

Thanks

2. Tokimemofan

Tokimemofan Dauntless Member

Is the blue light on?

3. richi902

richi902 Robust Member

yes power button and drive button light up

4. Tokimemofan

Could be the clock generator ic. SP193 should be able to confirm, he knows a bit about that

5. richi902

richi902 Robust Member

dosent sound too good. i guess that part isn't very easy to come by.

6. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

Are you good with hardware? If you want to pursue this, you could connect a RS232 level converter (1.8V) to the EE SIO pins, to see what the EE prints during boot.

Just anything can cause what you have observed. It is a general failure to boot.
    If it has failed RDRAM, then you probably cannot do anything much...since it is BGA-mounted.

It could be a clock generator failure because a few of them have failed this way over the years. The SCPH-10000 has two of them; one for the EE and one for RDRAM.
    The clock input for the EE goes through a divider, before going to the IOP and its peripherals.

Both of my SCPH-10000 sets appear to have failed clock inputs to the IOP because they both gradually developed the same symptoms before totally not booting up. The console would sometimes slow down, the sound output might be distorted and it would crash randomly.

SONIC3D and Nully like this.
  7. richi902

richi902 Robust Member

i guess i'm out of luck then. A shame, as the system was in quite a good condition, from the outside atleast.
    But maybe i try that some time.

8. Tokimemofan

Where are you located, I may have a spare Motherboard, I’ll be parting out one of mine due to a mangled drive

9. richi902

richi902 Robust Member

I'm in Germany.

10. Tokimemofan

That’s probably too expensive to ship unfortunately. Still hold on to it for parts, never know when you might need something from it

11. bart_simpson

bart_simpson Dauntless Member

Hi anyway i can hook up my gh-006 to rs323