[PS2] POPS stuff & POPStarter

Discussion in 'Sony Programming and Development' started by krHACKen, Apr 10, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Jolek

Jolek Rising Member

@Antonioks how currently you're booting POPS? Through uLe or through OPL app\ps1 page?

I have also one more option for you. Format your mano multilaser 4gb (of course all files will be deleted, so make a copy).
    Download\search for "POPS_IOX.PAK", also download once again "POPStarter Revision 13, WIP 06, OBT 14".
    Make an another VCD with new "CUE2POPS_2_2.EXE".
    Now copy all necessary files ("POPS_IOX.PAK", "YOUR_GAME.VCD", "XX.YOUR_GAME.ELF)
    once again to your USB flash drive to "POPS" folder.

Run new OBT 14 BETA.
    If this does not help, try to launch POPS differently (eg. through FMCB menu, uLe krHACKen).

Try also Vedita BR and DaSA suggestions.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  2. ElPatas

ElPatas Spirited Member

THIS, i deleted the POPS folder, created again, copying again all the files inside and the problem is gone.

Also the problem is gone in the USB device when the games are loaded with the uLE kHn
    modified method.

I think that this is not normal, the strange problems disappeared when we deleted an created
    again the POPS folder.

Try deleting the POPS folder and creating the folder again with all the content.

Best regards.

krHACKen, DaSA and Jolek like this.
  3. DaSA

DaSA Robust Member

Glad to know you could make it work ElPatas.

@krHACKen

Was your test made with a new fresh POPS install or did you update from OBT13 to OBT14 - like us ?

4. ElPatas

ElPatas Spirited Member

Maybe the problem is caused from the new modified kHN uLE?

@krHACKen, the new uLE_kHn_20160723 and the previous uLE_kHn_20150602 are identical?

Best regards

5. joseri

joseri Active Member

Tenta o seguinte (No meu Kingston DTSE9, funcionou perfeitamente):

1- Faz um backup dos arquivos do seu pendrive;
    2- Formata o mesmo;
    3- Baixa este arquivo:
    Code:
    http://www.4shared.com/archive/TflySmfIce/_BAT___USB__Toolbox-Automtico_.html
    4- E informa se deu certo.

ATENÇÃO: O arquivo “POPS_IOX.PAK”, NÃO está incluso no download.

Translated by Chrome

Try the following (In my Kingston DTSE9, worked perfectly):

1- Makes a backup of your flash drive files;
    2- Format the same;
    3- Download this file:
    Code:
    http://www.4shared.com/archive/TflySmfIce/_BAT___USB__Toolbox-Automtico_.html
    4- And it tells you if it worked.

WARNING: The file “POPS_IOX.PAK”, is NOT included in the download.

MartinBiohazard and Antonioks like this.
  6. Antonioks

Antonioks Member

Thank you bro, the POPS IOX.PAK is the same POPS.PAK?

7. DaSA

DaSA Robust Member

POPS_IOX.PAK = POPS.PAK + network modules. You dont need that for USB, as the old POPS.PAK is still working (but you can update to POPS_IOP.PAK if you want).

Antonioks likes this.
  8. Antonioks

Antonioks Member

What puzzles me is that if I use POPSTARTER.ELF of 12.7.2015 works there so I change the POPSTARTER.ELF 23/07/2016 and black screen everything else is equal, and if I go back to the POPSTARTER.ELF of 12/07/2015 back to work, now I format here but I do not think that is fragmented because there would not work with POPSTARTER.ELF of 07.12.2015 as well.

9. joseri

joseri Active Member

Se os dois arquivos são iguais, eu sinceramente não sei, mas, o programa “.bat”, só vai reconhecer o arquivo “POPS_IOX.PAK”, você pode renomear o arquivo “POPS.PAK” para “POPS_IOX.PAK” e depois copiar para dentro do arquivo “#toolbox (USB).exe”, usando o programa “WinRAR”.

Translated by Chrome

If the two files are equal, I honestly do not know, but, the program “.bat”, will only recognize the file “POPS_IOX.PAK”, you can rename the file “POPS.PAK” to “POPS_IOX.PAK” and then copy into the file "#toolbox (USB) .exe", using the program “WinRAR”.

10. DaSA

DaSA Robust Member

Fragmentation is likely not the problem here. Look how ElPatas and me solved our problem simply by creating another POPS folder. IMO, it will work, since you are formatting (=deleting POPS folder and creating another one).
    If not, try Vedita suggestion.

Antonioks likes this.
  11. Antonioks

Antonioks Member

DaSA very strange formatted the flash drive and put the same folder as a friend just to test it on ps2 with the same settings as my running and here gave black screen.

12. krHACKen

krHACKen Enthusiastic Member

LOL, that's odd o_O .

With an old HDD (the partitions, VCDs, and POPS.ELF/IMG were installed long time ago). I've copied POPSTARTER.ELF (OBT14) in the POPS folder using uLE_kHn_20160723.
    Only the USB install was a fresh install.

Well, I've copied things to __common/POPS using uLE_kHn_20160723. I even wrote and saved a new CHEATS.TXT using its TextEditor. Had no corruption or problem running OBT14 then, everything worked OK.

After uLE_kHn_20150602 there was uLE_kHn_20150727 :
    The new uLE_kHn_20160723 is the same as uLE_kHn_20150727, but I've restored the USB drivers of my PS2SDK installation.

Antonioks likes this.
  13. Antonioks

Antonioks Member

As this new pops here on my stick. The same works perfect for a friend.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. DaSA

DaSA Robust Member

Your install looks fine. So, IDK. Maybe you should stole USB stick from your friend - and give him yours ;)

Antonioks and Jolek like this.
  15. Antonioks

Antonioks Member

Just test stick with what Joseri friend sent me the other ps2 slim 90001 with matrix 1.93 also with another mc and it worked perfect, you will understand.

16. sebaz_ri

sebaz_ri Newly Registered

Hi, new here!

Just tested Crash Bandicoot (PAL) with uLe boot method and everything went ok, played a few levels without crashes or anything like that.
    Also tested other few games with both uLe and standard boot method and again i haven't got black screens at all
    I did test the TR3 patch with TR5 Chronicles and while it's way too bright at least it's playable now :)
    Didn't notice the brightness going on and off like in the TR3 test video, so that's nice as well
    All of this has been tested with a fresh setup on TDK usb flash drive, on 50001 and 90001 models, using the new POPS_IOX.PAK (if that matters)

Regards!

17. ElPatas

ElPatas Spirited Member

I see, is so rare, well the question is that seems now i have all working fine again.
    Perhaps there to warn users that if they experience this strange problems they delete the POPS folder
    and create it again.

Now you are still to try for perfectioning the $compatibility_0x07? or you are working in any
    other thing if you are working in the emu?

I suppose that is impossible or very hard, but never can be possible that this emu can load
    directly the bin/cue images of the games instead having to create VCD images?

Best regards.

18. DaSA

DaSA Robust Member

From my little understanding of how it works, it looks very difficult. A VCD image is your .BIN + a part of disc0 - what we called POPS header back in the POPS-00001 era (good ol' days :D) - at the start of the .BIN (i dont know how it deals with the .CUE).
    This part of disc0 is needed so POPS (the emu, not POPStarter) can handle the game.

POPStarter => launches POPS => POPS reads disc0 header of the VCD => game is emulated.

Idea : to add something to make POPStarter or POPS.ELF able to handle disc0 header as external file - like the PATCH.BINs or TROJAN.BINs we use with POPStarter. So no bigger files - and the game can be handled & emulated by POPS.ELF.
    Dont know if it's possible - and I dont have the skillz to do that.

19. Jolek

Jolek Rising Member

I tried a new COMPATIBILITY_0x07 (PATCH_7.BIN) mode with
    Tomb Raider 4: The Last Revelation, Tomb Raider 5: Chronicles, Tomb Raider 2.
    For now one of the disadvantage is too small draw distance:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Second issue is the lighting problem:
    [​IMG](with mode 7)
    [​IMG](without any modes)
    I know that this compatibility mode it's not yet been finished, but the results are still very good.
    Unfortunately in a Gran Turismo 2 textures of a car are still missing.
    In THPS 2 I still have a "missing floor".

It's good to see that the progress has been made.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  20. diegoginard

diegoginard Member

Create folder again POPS unformatted my external usb hdd and I still run the same version 14 gives black screen

rogerioronin likes this.