[PS2] POPS stuff & POPStarter

Discussion in 'Sony Programming and Development' started by krHACKen, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Komotonoto

Komotonoto Member

I have already gone through those tutorials but it seems like they are still missing information. It is not clear enough where everything goes (file directories). I saw a post about that but it did not give an example of where ever file goes. What I had was:

__common/POPS/disc0 [the original Bishi Bashi image]
    __common/POPS/TEK1.ELF (This file is popstarter.elf renamed to the vdc)
    _.POPS/TEK1.VDC
    PP.GAME_NAME/EXECUTE.ELF [POPS in it's container]-------I do not understand this (didn't attempt)
    PP.GAME_NAME/IMAGE0.VCD [Your game image]----------I do not understand this (didn't attempt)
    __common/POPS/GAME_NAME/SLOT0.OLD [temp VMC image, slot 1, created by the emu]-------I do not understand this (didn't attempt)
    __common/POPS/GAME_NAME/SLOT1.OLD [temp VMC image, slot 2, created by the emu]-------I do not understand this (didn't attempt)
    __common/POPS/GAME_NAME/SLOT0.VMC [used VMC image, slot 1, created by the emu]-------I do not understand this (didn't attempt)
    __common/POPS/GAME_NAME/SLOT1.VMC [used VMC image, slot 2, created by the emu]-------I do not understand this (didn't attempt)

I also used va$h's tutorial and I am using the POPS-00001 partition and have all my games inside as MYDUMP.BIN
    Maybe I wasn't supposed to use that 48bit OSD that was created by va$h32? Please let me know what I can do, thanks. Maybe I should post some pictures?

2. GillBert

GillBert Spirited Member

Popstarter isn't compatible with those leaked LBA 48bit dumps. Plus, there is no need to use the obsolete POPS-00001 anymore.
    Get rid of these two things and you'll be able to get Popstarter to work.

krHACKen likes this.
  3. krHACKen

krHACKen Enthusiastic Member

It's too much hassle to get stuff running with the re-re-re-repacked "48bit" HDDOSD.
    Like GillBert said, would be better to get rid of all that junk, because :
    - If the POC2 launcher is involved in booting apps in that HDD image, then it cannot run POPStarter (as this old launcher send static launch arguments by design);
    - Your MYDUMP.BIN files probably have the Bishi Bashi Champ header (which leads to less compatibility and no CDDA);
    - Nowadays homebrews wont run from the POC2 launcher, because iirc it doesn't reset the IOP;
    - I'm not going to support TIZ broken stuff here.

And as a bonus : without the "48bit" version of the HDDOSD 1.10U, you could enjoy FHDB ;) .

Happy upgrade, Gentleman.

4. Johnny

Johnny Gran Turismo Freak and Site Supporter 2013,2015

As a moderator and also a Brazilian, i've sent PM to the members posting in portuguese.

Like i said to you, there's no demand to use a 100% perfect english. I make mistakes constantly yet i participate on these boards for over 10 years.

Using an online translator might not give a perfect translation for what you want to say, but to keep the topics organized and understandable for everybody, it's what we prefer. Having a single language across the forums is essencial for all the members and moderation itself.

Thank you for your consideration.

5. Komotonoto

Komotonoto Member

Alright, can you please direct me to the correct OSD I am supposed to be using? Will it only support 40gb of hard disk space? Please link me the tutorial since it does not appear on this thread. Thanks.

6. retro

retro Resigned from mod duty 15 March 2018

You said you read the tutorials already, now you say they don't exist.

Read the first post more carefully. There's a link to POPStarter 13. I had no clue what this is if I'm honest, but I just downloaded it and there's a folder called DOCUMENTATION. Guess what I found in that folder? Something that told me what it was... and instructions!

Furthermore, in the first post there is a link that says TUTORIALS.

[EDIT]

There's even a help section in that ZIP which answers your question about hard drives!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
  7. Komotonoto

Komotonoto Member

I opened the INSTALLATION.txt file and it does not tell me anything about how I should format the hard drive. This is all it says.

A - Installing the Emulator
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    FOR USE WITH THE INTERNAL HDD :
    1) Find and download the decrypted emulator files; <----------------this is very vague, is it saying have freemcboot? Use HDL to format ps2 HDD? How exactly should I format my HDD? I cannot find these insctructions anywhere.

2) Create a directory named "POPS" in the "__common" partition of your PS2 HDD;
    3) Paste POPS.ELF and IOPRP252.IMG into the "POPS" directory you've just created.

Edit: yes I already downloaded the mega.co file from joseri and again, I cannot find any tutorial in his zipped folder. The HELP.txt does not say anything about how I should format the hard drive.

So should I just install FHDB instead? Would this be compatible with popstarter? Please let me know, thanks. I just want to use this hard drive that I have for ps1 games strictly, I already have a 500GB for my ps2 games, and a 160 GB for my ps1 games. Should I just follow the tutorial in this Youtube link and then I can go ahead with the popstarter tutorial?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2015
  8. krHACKen

That's right. It's says "have a PS2 formatted HDD" and nothing about how to format it.

I should have added "format your HDD" here.

Yes, FHDB should be OK to run POPStarter ELFs. Keep the ELF names and the path lengths as small as possible, otherwise FHDB may truncate the argument and POPStarter will reset the PS2.

The FHDB noobie package is in open beta test stage. The image size is 7.25GB so it will overwrite the first 7.25GB of your HDD...

Do you have uLaunchELF installed (and bootable) in your current HDDOSD ? If so, instead of writing the FHDB noobie package image to your HDD, you can :
    1) Get the latest FMCB package and extract it to your USB drive;
    2) Run uLaunchELF, mount the __system partition and delete all the .elf files (this will remove the HDDOSD);
    3) DO NOT reset the PS2, run the FMCB installer you've extracted to your USB drive;
    4) Choose to install FHDB (then feel free to also install FMCB).
    You should have FHDB and all your partitions intact after that.

There's another way to install FHDB with no data loss, if you don't have uLE installed in your HDD :
    Write POPStarter r13 WIP 05/Misc Stuff/uLE_kHn_20150602/__mbr.raw to your PS2 HDD using HDD Raw Copy Tool;
    Run WinHIIP, do Scan/Repair PS2 Drive then Restore PS2 Drive structure;
    And to finish, do the 4 steps of the method described above. The uLaunchELF mentioned in step 2 will run on startup (after the SCE intro).

========================

EDIT : And if you don't mind to fully formatting it (strictly for playing PS1 games like you want) :
    1) Format your HDD with WinHIIP to 48bit HDL mode;
    2) Write POPStarter r13 WIP 05/Misc Stuff/uLE_kHn_20150602/__mbr.raw to your PS2 HDD using HDD Raw Copy Tool;
    3) Run WinHIIP again, do Scan/Repair PS2 Drive then Restore PS2 Drive structure;
    4) Put the HDD in your PS2, it will boot to uLE;
    5) Copy POPSTARTER.ELF into __common/POPS/ along with POPS.ELF and IOPRP252.IMG;
    6) Use the HddManager to create the largest possible partition and name it __.POPS;
    7) Copy your converted PS1 games to that big __.POPS partition;

So, here you have POPS, POPStarter and your games completely set up, and your HDD boots to uLaunchELF. To run a game, simply select a VCD in the FileBrowser just by pressing the circle button.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
  9. retro

retro Resigned from mod duty 15 March 2018

@Komotonoto - try not to double post - the thread is 65 pages already as it is! Use the edit, multi-quote or reply buttons (quote several threads on the same page just by hitting reply next to each).

@krHACKen - thanks for continuing to keep us updated and providing support :)

krHACKen likes this.
  10. ASSEMblergames_Admin

ASSEMblergames_Admin Administrator

krHACKen we are grateful for your efforts.

11. Komotonoto

Komotonoto Member

Thank you so much, this is what I am looking for, I will try this out asap. I really appreaciate it and I will let you know if I have any problems, thanks.

12. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

The other way to install FHDB without trashing up (since the normal PC method overwrites the beginning of the HDD with somebody else's disk image, thus severing the links between the partitions on the disk before you fix them with WinHIIP) the APA layout on the HDD unit, would be to use PS2HDDFileInstaller: http://psx-scene.com/forums/f153/un...e-package-obt-119562/index13.html#post1141776

There will be no need to use WinHIIP to scan and fix errors afterwards, but it will share the same limitations as the normal PC-based method: you must still run the FMCB/FHDB installer on your PS2 to properly install FHDB. Otherwise, you may observe your PS2 power-cycling the HDD unit because HDD support isn't activated, which can only be activated on the PS2-side.
    This doesn't apply to consoles that already had HDD support activated before (either by an old FHDB installation or an installation of the HDD Browser/PSBBN with a HDD Utility Disc), however.

krHACKen likes this.
  13. krHACKen

By the way, I haven't announced it here in the official release forum :ashamed: , but WIP 06 is in open beta testing. As WIP 03 and WIP 04 were successive bugpiles, I wanted to separate the potentially unstable builds from the bug-free ones.

WIP 05 is, at this time, the most reliable build. It has one known minor bug : the loaded OSD.BIN file gets corrupted (in the RAM). 99.9% of you don't use the OSD.BIN handler anyway, this feature has no other purpose than executing hacked PS-X EXEs and homebrew stuff...

The beta WIP 06 introduces a little bunch of new features, such as the smooth texture mapping (yay :)) and the ability to use PS1 Action Replay cheat codes. The development is bugfix/stability oriented, although I'm also experimenting new hacks... The "final" WIP 06 build will be posted here after all the problems get solved.
    Feel free to try the betas out, but keep in mind that it's probably not worth updating your entire setup (due to possible bugs and other experimental oddities).

14. Komotonoto

Komotonoto Member

THANK YOU VERY MUCH, THIS WORKED PERFECTLY. I was getting this error message "POPStarter does not support that VCD path" but turns out I only had one underscore when I created the __.POPS partition, FML. Thank you so much for your help and patience.

EDIT: Now that I have installed REV13, what other enhancements can I do to have an easier experience (optimize POPstarter rev 13)? I already saw all the game fixes and texure modifiers but not sure if I need them since im not going to download every single ps1 game. Another question, there isn't another way to copy .vcd files to the ps2 hdd without using PFSSHELL? Thanks a lot.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  15. ElPatas

ElPatas Spirited Member

Thank you very much for the IGR screen, is nice.

They not worked for me with the names you give to the files, they need obligatory
    to be: IGR_BG.TM2, IGR_NO.TM2 and IGR_YES.TM2, and the format of TM2
    needs to be in capital letters, if not they not works, at least in the internal HDD,
    i don't know in the case of USB devices.

I see you don't made the buttons of yes and no, or at least they appears to me the
    default japanese ones.

I made the buttons, added a warning icon, and made the spanish texts with some colour.
    What i see is very tricy are the buttons, it's what brought me a lot of work, because
    i liked made them with boxes, and they need match the ones from the
    background with the ones of the buttons.

Here it is the spanish version which i made:

[​IMG]

Español + TROJAN: http://www.4shared.com/rar/TkrJPQ2uce/IGR_Spanish_Menu__Gledson999__.html

Best regards

krHACKen likes this.
  16. belzack1991

belzack1991 Newly Registered

Het there thanks for it and I know this thread is old but I wanna know how to convert ps1 cheats into ps2 I really want a full tutorial on how to do it because I didn't understand nad thanks in advance

17. orcanaoftime

orcanaoftime Rising Member

Looks great ElPatas. I wanted to use this one too, but the yes/no buttons are in Japanese still. I was wondering if it would be too much to ask if you could do an English one? If you don't feel like it, it's ok :)

18. ElPatas

ElPatas Spirited Member

krHACKen likes this.
  19. orcanaoftime

orcanaoftime Rising Member

I tried it out and it looks fantastic!

Thank you for taking the time to do it, I really appreciate it ElPatas :)

Thank you to gledson999 also!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  20. karenjan99

karenjan99 Rising Member

hi guys anyone can tell how to create partition using pfs shell?