[PS2] POPS stuff & POPStarter

Discussion in 'Sony Programming and Development' started by krHACKen, Apr 10, 2013.

1. krHACKen

krHACKen #CNNisISIS

I'll try to *beep* the dumps of both versions later...

Thanks for confirming the SFX problem with the US version. I thought it was caused by the vmode command of CUE2POPS, as the Japanese version doesn't have that problem.

If no one contacted you, PM me the link and I'll try it.

Sorry for not publishing all bundles. That POPStarter revision does have a lot of warnings for errors like IMAGE0.VCD not found, KELF has booted from an unauthorized path and container protection related things... They all have to be rewritten to match the execution method of other builds. For example, the KELF only accepts the execution from PATINFO and the pfs and has got protections against the KELF signature modification. EXECUTE.ELF that should come with a small launcher, should have to deny the execution from everywhere but pfs (yeah pfs will be accepted, in order to allow it's execution from a certain ELF launcher which is in development...). The small launcher has to be fully rewritten and must send the proper argument to EXECUTE.ELF. I don't know what will be the protection layers of the PORTABLE build yet, certainly a variant of the KELF scrambling and integrity checks, since it's efficient and fast.

FX = Effects
    SFX = Sound Effects (effets sonores)
    In the case of Ridge Racer, they are car sounds, crash noises, the dude who screams "YEEEEEAH ! IT'S A NEEEEW RECORD !"...

2. krHACKen

krHACKen #CNNisISIS

CUE2POPS v1.2

CUE2POPS v1.2 is here : CUE2POPS_v1.2.zip
    Yet another ridiculous mistake:stupid:. The NTSC patcher couldn't patch games that don't have CD-DA tracks because daTrack_ptr was set to zero because dumpsize was not known because GetLeadOut is called after daTrack_ptr is set.

Note to users : You don't need to re-convert/re-install games that you've already installed.

3. ElPatas

ElPatas Spirited Member

Thanks, i tested this cuepops v1.2 for using the vmode option and yes he patched to NTSC the PAL games, but from 5 or 6 games which i patched only one is centered in the vertical position, the game Mass Destruction, i suppose it works with only few games?

Is the first time i used the vmode option of the cuepops, i'm not sure if i'm writing well the command.
    Writing the command like that is well done?
    D:\CUE2POPS_1_2.EXE "D:\game.cue" vmode "D:\IMAGE0.VCD".

Also y used the Import Player CD 1.4 with two PAL games and none obey when i change the numbers for centering the screen in vertical when used NTSC, probably i don't have luck with the games i choosed.

Well i continue with another tests, keep up the work, i hope you encounter anything interesting
    in the case of Wipeout3/SP.

Regards.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  4. krHACKen

krHACKen #CNNisISIS

The NTSC patcher of CUE2POPS uses pattens and masks, like Zapper and good old PS1 tools do. It's not accurate. I remember that CUE2POPS couldn't find/patch anything in the game Street Fighter : The Movie. Not all games use the same function for initing and scaling the display.

Yes it's correct. When you use the DEBUG EXE, it shows what has been found and patched.

I think Import Player uses the same patterns that CUE2POPS uses, except that CUE2POPS patches the screen position to -2 (if it finds the Y-Fix pattern) and does not let the user adjust it.

Thank you for your tests and for the encouragement.

5. DaSA

DaSA Robust Member

Hmm, weird. I transfered some ps1 dump images converted with CUE2POPS version 1.2, and tried to launch them with rev9 (not 10) : I get a black screen for 2 of my 3 dumps (only one that starts is SOTN PAL, and I cant go throught the create save file at starting) . The emu seems to work, since I got a video change signal warning from TV, but well, no image, no sounds, just a black screen.
    Is that normal krHACKen?

6. krHACKen

krHACKen #CNNisISIS

Signal change from PAL to NTSC means that the emu was executed, indeed. At this point, the emulator should create a new folder in __common/POPS/ for the VMCs, even if it froze in a black screen. If the new folder isn't created, it can be due to a bad IMAGE0.VCD (bug in CUE2POPS ?) or a container failure (bug in the security system ?).
    If the 2 games worked when converted with CUE2POPS v1.0 and don't work when converted with CUE2POPS v1.2, it's certainly related to the Track 01 fix I've introduced in CUE2POPS v1.1 :( .

A bit of blahblah about the "PORTABLE" build of Revision 10 that I'm currently writing :
    My objective is to make POPS-00001 obsolete and produce binaries that don't require the users to hexedit them.
    The execution method I'm testing at the moment is quite simple. The "portable" ELF is renamed as the partition name (example : EXECUTE.ELF renamed as PP.WIPEOUT_XL.ELF), and the container uses it's name for setting up the emu. No hexadecimal edition needed...

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  7. DaSA

DaSA Robust Member

VMCs folders are created, so I will convert them with CUE2POPS v1.0, and try (I did not test them with v1.0, but I know they works with POPS-00001. Rayman & Resident Evil DS version, both PAL)
    I will let you know the result.

That's very cool if you can make it work. Great work.

Edit : my bad, I maybe found what was wrong using the DBG version :

I guess I should re-dump my games.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  8. vash32

vash32 Spirited Member

Wow, that sounds great. I hope it works out well.

9. krHACKen

krHACKen #CNNisISIS

Yep. PS1 game dumps have to be Mode 2, 2352 BPS; shown in the cue sheet as "TRACK 01 MODE2/2352". I didn't block illegal modes because I was not sure they're supported or not. Since you've tried to run a Mode 1 image and POPS couldn't mount it, I'll block everything but Mode 2 XA in the next version, and print a visible error message in the non-debug build. Thank you for the report.

I came across a cue sheet that has TRACK 1, TRACK 2, TRACK 3, instead of TRACK 01, TRACK 02, TRACK 03. I don't know which software generated it. Anyway, this kind of cue is not supported by CUE2POPS. It's an unexpected type of cue and will crash the program. That cue type should be blocked too...

10. krHACKen

krHACKen #CNNisISIS

Damnit. I found bugs in the Revision 10 KELF.
    The OSD.BIN loader, it vomits 64 bytes of unwanted data after the end of the executable segment:dejection: (and may cause a POPS initialization failure if the OSD.BIN is bigger than 425872 bytes).
    The partition prefix inspector prints bullcrap to the screen when the prefix is incorrect.
    The good news is that I've fixed the bugs in the PORTABLE ELF. And the bad one is that I'll have to fix the bugs in the KELF version and "upgrade" all bundles to Rev.11:mad-new:, as there are "critical" bug fixes.
    WIP...

11. RandQalan

RandQalan Rapidly Rising Member

Keep up the good work nice to see a hex edit free version in the works
    Take your time
    I see wonderful things for PS2 owners coming :)

12. ElPatas

ElPatas Spirited Member

Many thanks, i hope you can made the portable and launcher containers free of hexediting,
    would be fantastic.
    Also take all the time needed for fix all the possible bugs.

As info i tested a few games and i encounterd the game Rapid Reload PAL don't have the
    SFX, but the same game in the japanese version which is called Gunners Heaven works
    well with the SFX.

Alone in the Dark Jack is Back PAL: Works fine.
    Danger Girl PAL: Only a little defect in the floor texture when the main character walks.
    Mass Destruction PAL: The intro not works well and in-game do not have BGM.

Regards.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  13. DaSA

DaSA Robust Member

@ElPatas (or anyone that try rev10) : did you try to launch some games using the BIOS handler feature? If yes, did you notice some improvements regarding compatibility?

Good luck upgrading fixing all the stuff krHACKen! thumbsup.gif

14. ElPatas

ElPatas Spirited Member

Sorry but what is the BIOS handler feature and how i can use it?

15. DaSA

DaSA Robust Member

If I understood correctly, krHACKen included the possibility to use another PS1 Bios different from the built in one in his last Popstarter rev release.

16. krHACKen

krHACKen #CNNisISIS

That's right.
    By the way, if there's a OSD.BIN and a BIOS.BIN in the VMC directory, POPStarter will NOT load BIOS.BIN. So make sure you've renamed the OSD.BIN (to _OSD.BIN for example) if you want POPStarter to load BIOS.BIN, otherwise OSD.BIN will be injected in the built-in BIOS and the built-in BIOS will be executed.

I saw no compatibility improvement when I've tried to run the SCPH-1000 BIOS (I didn't test alot though).
    Oh, a weird thing I've noticed with the US Castlevania SOTN :
    When using the built-in BIOS, it got stuck in a black screen after the title screen (where I pressed start for the very first time).
    When using the SCPH-1000 BIOS, I could enter the new game screen, pass the game save creation screen and after a 7 minutes long black screen the game did load, DOH:disgust:. Anyway it froze later, at the first dialog sequence and I had to L1+START+SELECT to quit.

17. DaSA

DaSA Robust Member

I get the same result with the PAL version, when I was testing POPS-00001 with PSP 6.60 Bios. Weird indeed.

Btw, it (SOTN) was reported as working in the PSX2PS2 chinese thread.

18. ElPatas

ElPatas Spirited Member

Oh, i don't see that in the readme of the last revision, is nice, i go to try with different bios with pal games for see if there is any difference.

EDIT: well i checked problematic PAL games with different bios files, but unfortunately i not
    encountered any compatibility improvement.

The japanese shootem'up Gaia Seed which freezed with pops-00001 after the logo, now
    works thanks to POPstarter revision10, the audio CD tracks works fine also, nice.

19. blueheaven

blueheaven Spirited Member

Offtopic:
    OK the drives have arrived :)
    Now to find some time for installing these...
    And start playing with POPS :wink-new:

Attached Files:

20. krHACKen

krHACKen #CNNisISIS

Nice !!!
    Oh, Fujitsu and Seagate drives:love_heart:. The Wertern Digital CAVIAR on top-left will not fit the Network Adaptor.

If you install the Rev.10 KELF, I recommend you to do BOOT2 = pfs:/EXECUTE.KELF installations rather than PATINFO installations, as POPStarter will be kicked to Rev.11 within a few days; and updating one hundred PATINFOs in a HDD would be sort of pain in the butt:congratulatory:.

Got the "portable" ELF of Rev.11 built and working. The test launcher works but it's not finished yet. I think the file locations will slightly differ in this revision, as I'd like to simplify the file copy process and save some space in game partitions. If I keep my ideas and stay on that line, EXECUTE.ELF (which is the "PORTABLE" ELF in this revision) will go to __common/POPS along with disc0. This should save space in the game partition and the user will no longer have to copy it all over the disk. The small launcher would load __common/POPS/EXECUTE.ELF, and should be copied to any path/device.
    Example :
    __common/POPS/EXECUTE.ELF (the "portable" ELF, copied once)
    __common/POPS/disc0 (the SLBB-00001 image, copied once)
    PP.USER_GAME_1/IMAGE0.VCD (some PS1 game)
    PP.USER_GAME_2/IMAGE0.VCD (some PS1 game)
    PP.USER_GAME_3/IMAGE0.VCD (some PS1 game)
    mass0:pP.USER_GAME_1.ELF (the launcher, renamed and copied to the root of the USB drive)
    mc0:/USER_DEFINED_NAME/PP.USER_GAME_2.ELF (the launcher, renamed and copied to a folder in the PS2 MC)
    +OPL/APPS/PP.USER_GAME_3.ELF (the launcher, renamed and copied to the +OPL partition, in the folder "APPS")
    See what I mean ? The launcher, as long as it is renamed properly, should tell POPS what game partition to use, so no hexeditor needed:encouragement:.
    EXECUTE.ELF will have to reside in __common/POPS, but if you rename it as PP.YOUR_GAME_PARTITION.ELF and copy it somewhere, it should work too. Of course, EXECUTE.ELF being the container + POPS, it's way bigger than the small launcher which is just a launcher with HDD modules.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2013