[PS2] POPS stuff & POPStarter

Discussion in 'Sony Programming and Development' started by krHACKen, Apr 10, 2013.

1. DaSA

DaSA Robust Member

Just to let you know krackhen, that I could "set" POPStarter the way I wanted (using LAUNCHER version, execute.elf in the game partition, & launcher.elf on mass, & using OPL to run it). Everything works fine that way. :very_drunk: Good job buddy.
    Now, I need to test if setting NTSC in video mode (OPL display settings) make the display centered for PAL games - I hope it will.

2. vash32

vash32 Spirited Member

Yes I repacked them but I never modified them, I just added partitions. Also I only posted a var. of POC2 and added some info on how to use it. I never added "PSP POPS BIOS" to it and I'm not the one who made it. Yes I post a link to it but not a download.. someone other then me done that.
    Plus PSX-Scene announced it before they knew of any download for it. They only knew of forum thread.

Anyway your right lets just go back to the topic and leave this drama out.

Now back on topic, I try out your POPStarter by using the "EXECUTE.KELF" on a partition's "PATINFO" and it starts but then the PS2 powers off.
    I've setup the __common's "POPS" directory and added "disc0" to it. The game was written right by your CUS2POPS and renamed to IMAGE0.VCD
    The partition name is "PP.SLUS-01534"

anyway, just letting you know... I most likely done some part wrong but just giving my 2 cents as I'm sure most are trying out the LAUNCHER.

Also, http://rghost.net/45270385 that's the Partition info. (KELF is removed, just PS2ICON3D, Name and Icons info)
    Uploaded it so you can see if I've done it wrong or not. Not looking for help... just trying to let you know that maybe its not working.

3. blueheaven

blueheaven Spirited Member

Have you read the post from krHACKen? This build has some limitations. If it encounters them, the PS2 will BSOD...
    Did you try the launcher or portable version, and what was the result?

4. vash32

vash32 Spirited Member

Tried Launcher and portable versions and they do the same, BSOD then reboots to HDD-OSD. The .KELF set to partition "PATINFO" just does a BSOD then powers off the PS2.

I see what's most likely going on now.
    Most likely one of them, I'll try it out on my SONY HDD to see if it works. Most likely no error on your part KrHACKen and I understand that its mostly to help the user to not risk f*ck up the HDD, if going above 137GB.

Edit: I've tried Launcher and portable on two PS2, two Network Adaptor, two SONY HDDs, two other HDDs and tried a Full Format on one of my HDDs and no Hex Editing at all. (Also tried on a friends PS2)

And I'm only getting a BSOD then reboot to back to the browser, so I most be doing it wrong or maybe the files I downloaded of POPStarter are damage.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  5. ElPatas

ElPatas Spirited Member

Hi KrHACKen, i got time for try it, tested the portable version and worked fine, also i tested the GSM
    with two or three PAL games and worked fine, seems not breaks the GSM, which is nice, great work.

Unfortunately seems this Popstarter rev9 lost compatibility compared with pops-00001.

The game Wipeout 3 Special Edition PAL which works with pops-00001 now freezes in the loading main menu screen after the intros.

I tryed the vcd image renamed to bin for check it in pops-00001 with the psp 6.60 bios for see if is a problem related to the built bios, but freezed also in the same point.

It's strange, it freezes just in the screen when the game checks the memory card and starts to play the audio CD tracks of menu.

When i tested the game in pops-0001 with the toc made with you DumPops Test Build the audio CD tracks worked fine.

Is possible the cause of the freeze are the audio CD traks? I use Ultraiso program for rip the images from my original games.

Another one which worked before is the Wipeout XL US, now it have BSOD from the first moment, do not shows the intro, nothing.

The PAL version of this game freezed in the intro with pops-0001, now he don't show the intro, just hangs in BSOD like the US version.

Just for info the game Lomax PAL works fine, but about the audio CD tracks i needed use the gap++ because the tracks started 2 seconds later, and now worked fine in the appropiate time.
    When i tested this game with the toc of DumPops Test Build and pops-00001 the tracks worked fine
    without the 2 seconds delay.

If you can check the wipeout games and need any file please let me know.

Regards.

6. AKuHAK

AKuHAK Spirited Member

First of all NEVER use ULTRAISO. It sucks on PSOne images. Only ISO buster or CDmage (or maybe IMGburn). Next - if your image doesnt work with previous version it means that problem is with image (captain obvious).

7. blueheaven

Sorry i have to disagree :)
    UltraISO Media Edition 7.6.0.1081 is one of the nicest programs to use (later versions suck indeed).

Convert image to another format in no-time, instant check for dummy files on your image (when opening the image it's shown directly).
    No problem here with PS1 images.

There are off-course a lot more convenient programs like Alcohol 120%, DiscJuggler, WinImage, MagicISO, CloneCD.

@ElPatas
    The audio tracks can be out of sync but i don't think it will crash the emulator.
    You can try to check your image for errors with CDMage and/or run it through a PS1 emulator, although they can give different results with the same image...

8. krHACKen

krHACKen #CNNisISIS

Thanks for the feedbacks Gentlemen !

:encouragement:

The PSP BIOS and the original POPS-00001 BIOS have the same kernel, but not the same OSD.
    The POPS-00001 BIOS and the POPStarter BIOS have the same kernel, but the POPStarter one does not have an OSD (I removed it).
    I really hope that the compatibility break is not caused by the OSD removal, but it seems to be, according to your tests :( .

It happens when it checks the MC right ? Did you verify that the virtual memory cards were properly created ? The container has a bug in the VMC folder naming. Maybe it's the cause of the freeze.

Normally no, unless the disc image lacks the CDDA tracks.

I'm not sure but if I remember correctly, UltraISO does not dump raw data, it only cares of files that are indexed in the filesystem and rebuilds a disc image. The resulting disc image is not an exact copy of the disc, but an image that is authored by UltraISO, with another LBA table and no zeroed/hidden sectors.
    If I'm right, then it does improper disc images, since the files are moved to another LBA and unindexed data are dropped.

I've got that one in my PC HDD. Will verify it as soon as possible.

It probably means that UltraISO doesn't add the pregap length to the indexes MSF in it's cue sheet. Glad to know that the gap++ command works:encouragement:. Thank you for testing !

I'm not into POPS stuff at the moment, but since I have Wipeout XL here, I will retest it in a few minutes.
    It would be appreciated if another user could retest Wipeout 3 Special Edition PAL and see if the same problem occurs.

9. krHACKen

krHACKen #CNNisISIS

OK, I've found the reason of Wipeout XL not starting. It's on CUE2POPS side. I'm dumb, Track 01 Index 01 ALWAYS have to be 00:02:00 (Pregap of 2 secs / 150 sectors). Before I fix it and publish a new version, I need more reports. Please guys tell me if you encounter CDDA track start/delay problems.

EDIT : Yeah, I'll wait for more feedbacks before I make a decision but I really think that CUE2POPS needs an unconditional +2sec on every track MSF.
    The "CUE2POPS has stopped working" error that blueheaven encounters might be due to freeing the header buffer and the BIN path while they have already been freed.
    When I told you that it's poorly coded:livid:. Thanks for the report ElPatas, very helpful:encouragement:.

10. ElPatas

ElPatas Spirited Member

Not works with previous version using the new toc, but the same image works with the
    previous version using the previous toc header.

Yeah i use an older version of UltraISO, the same image works with the previous version,
    also works fine in the PC ePSXe emu, but well i can try other programs for more results.

I checked the virtual memory cards and are properly created with Wipeout 3 Special
    Edition, i'm using the portable container.

Seems the problems only affects the games which uses audio CD tracks, i hope the fix
    also makes working the Wipeout 3 Special Edition.
    Many thanks to you.

EDIT: I tested the standard Wipeout 3 game and freezed in the same point as the
    Special Edition.

Also i tested again the Wipeout 3 Special Edition, but this time with an image made
    with IsoBuster and freezed in the same point as the one made with Ultraiso.

I think the problem is caused by the emu/CUE2POPS and not by the rip programs.

Regards.

11. krHACKen

krHACKen #CNNisISIS

Thanks again for your tests and your reports.

The POPStarter Revision 10 KELF is available @ Pastie #7667656.
    Comes with CUE2POPS v1.1.
    LAUNCHER and PORTABLE bundles aren't built yet, cuz I'll have to adapt the container, rewrite the small launcher and it may take awhile (yeah I'm busy with some other stuff ATM).

This isn't documented, as there's no tool to make replacement images from EXEs, but I'd publish a PS1 Codebreaker image later so you can see how it's done.
    Codebreaker won't let you boot your game, but it's CD Player could be useful in diagnosing CD-DA track start problems:rolleyes-new:.

CUE2POPS v1.1 is here : CUE2POPS_v1.1.zip
    Since my stupid Track 01 mistake was corrected, Wipeout XL works :) . For Lawd's sake I hope the unconditional +2sec doesn't break anything else. That source code is a pile of poo:dejection:.

12. krHACKen

krHACKen #CNNisISIS

OSD replacement

I've posted 2 examples of OSD replacement files @ Pastie #7673568.
    The header structure is described in the included READMEs...

Import Player CD v1.4, like the CUE2POPS integrated patcher, doesn"t resize the screen. Vertical position adjustment seems to work though.
    Below is a screenshot of Grind Session PAL, with the VMODE set to NTSC and the V-Pos to -1 :
    [​IMG]
    The mission timer and the trick points counter are cut off.

Below's a vid of Crash Bandicoot PAL :
    [video=youtube_share;lFIGLhVWAyU]http://youtu.be/lFIGLhVWAyU?t=19s[/video]
    ... slowed down as phuk:topsy_turvy:.

As said in my previous post, Codebreaker crashes POPS at game startup. It still can be used for testing your game's CDDA tracks

Confirmed incompatibilities :
    WipeOut US = SFX decoding errors + crashes in-game
    Crash Team Racing US = Crashes at startup
    Also tested with the SCPH-1000 BIOS, got same results.

Looks like $ony didn't care of setting a disc type for Audio CDs. I've installed a dump of an Audio CD and got the following results :
    With a retail PlayStation BIOS = Freezes (but doesn't crash) after the SCE logo. Blank screen.
    With CodeBreaker as OSD replacement = The 1st track is mute in the CD Player.
    According to these results, the 1st track is always treated as a data track, whatever the disc type and the track type are:witless:. A mute track so, still better than Justin Bieber.

EDIT : Oh, something that I forgot to tell in the README, the maximum size of an OSD replacement file is 425936 bytes (header length included).

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  13. blueheaven

Thanx krHACKen, i'm waiting for my 120GB maxtor drive to try all this:)

14. ElPatas

ElPatas Spirited Member

Many thanks a million krHACKen for your time, effort and work making the rev10 for the emu, cuepops, fixing things, and all the stuff.

I tested thePOPStarter Revision 10 KELF with the CUE2POPS v1.1 with all this games:

Alien Trilogy PAL: Game and audio CD tracks works fine.

CT Special Forces PAL: Game and audio CD tracks works fine.

Destruction Derby 2 PAL: With pops-00001 and revision9 no CD tracks in-game, now with
    revision10 audio CD tracks works fine.
    The game crashes after a little time of playing due to it fails in decoding the SFX like happens in Wipeout XL.

ESPN Extreme Games PAL: Now have the audio CD tracks, but when the first track ends, the music mutes caused by the errors of the SFX which sounds noisy all the time.

Lomax PAL: He do not need add the gap++ like i needed add in the revision9 for fix the tracks, all works fine now.

Time Bokan Yattaman PAL: Game and audio CD tracks works fine.

Wipeout 2097 PAL: In pops-00001 freezed in the intro, in revision9 freezed from the start, now with
    revision10 works the game and the audio CD tracks.
    But the game works at very low fps like the Crash Bandicoot PAL you posted in the video, is strange,
    this not happens with the US version which seems to run at the appropiate fps.

Wipeout 3 PAL: In revision9 freezed in the main menu, now works, and audio CD tracks works fine, but like in pops-0001 still freezes when you play a little time, seems is caused also by the SFX errors but is hard to notice.

Wipeout 3 Special Edition PAL: In revision9 freezed in the main menu, now works, and audio CD tracks works fine, like in pops-0001 still have moderate slowdowns in certains points of the circuits and replays, but playable, do not have errors with SFX and do not crashes.

Harmful Park NTSC-J: In pops-0001 do not have BGM, now the BGM works.

Parodius PAL: Game and BGM works but do not have SFX.

Zanac x Zanac NTSC-J: In pops-0001 do not have BGM, now the BGM works.

For center the PAL games i used the GSM which still works fine.

I keep this games in the hdd for when you can make the portable and launcher containers and see if the results are the same like with the kelf.

I imagine the SFX problems can't be fixed in any way?

Regards.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  15. blueheaven

@ELPatas: thanx for testing those games :)
    Question; do you have the game Ridge Racer (SCUS-94300 or SCES-00001)? and if yes, is it possible for you to test if the audiotracks work for that game?
    It's my all-time favorite game :)
    I'm setting up a PS2 for testing all this, but i'm awaiting my HDD...

16. krHACKen

krHACKen #CNNisISIS

You are welcome. Thank you for testing and for posting the results. It helped me a lot in finding what was wrong in CUE2POPS.

:encouragement:. That was an error in CUE2POPS. All tracks MSF lacked +2 seconds (as the first 150 sectors aren't in disc dumps). So now since v1.1, CUE2POPS takes the MSF of INDEX 01 in the cue and automatically adds 2 seconds. gap++ and gap-- are in theory still functionnal (though I didn't test the optional commands in v1.1), so if the new inconditionnal +2sec causes errors, you can still use gap-- to correct the audio tracks start.

I noticed several redundant incompatibilities that are probably related to how devs coded their games or to the libs they've used. For example :
    Tomb Raider and Ninja (Core Design) = Cannot start a game after the main menu

Interesting. Perhaps a disassembly of the games EXEs could help in finding which piece of code is responsible of the SFX/freeze issue...

POPS messes up a lot with PAL games. My PAL copy of Crash Bandicoot is sped up if not patched in NTSC and abusively slowed down if patched to NTSC by Import Player CD v1.4.
    I'll try to patch Crash Bandicoot PAL and Wipeout 2097 PAL with CUE2POPS integrated NTSC patcher and test it, but I'm pretty sure it will have the same behaviour.

Can't be fixed I'm affraid. I guess there are 2 ways to fix broken stuff in incompatible games : Hack the game or hack the POPS core. Since POPS is $ony's material and there's no way to efficiently debug it, it would be very hard.
    The container now has fileXio implemented, with read and write access to the HDD. Who knows, maybe there will be a config file handler and core patches/hacks in the future... Anyway it's not planned.

Normally audio tracks should work (if the game is converted with the latest version of CUE2POPS). I'll verify that with my PAL copy (SCES-00001) ASAP, but....
    .... Ridge Racer, Ridge Racer Revolution, Rage Racer, Ridge Racer Type 4 and Ridge Racer Turbo (aka Hi-Spec) suffer of graphical glitches that make them unplayable:moody::dejection::mad-new:.
    Here's a video of the PAL Ridge Racer Hi-Spec that I made when the project was still alive :

[video=youtube_share;giY9GOz553w]http://youtu.be/giY9GOz553w[/video]
    This sucks hard :'( . The first one, Revolution, Rage and Type 4 do more or less the same thing.
    "Popstaller" (cancelled) was used for installing the game you see in the video. The source was a CDRWIN BIN/CUE, and unlike CUE2POPS, Popstaller doesn't pad the pregap with dummy sectors, hence why the music doesn't start at the correct position.

EDIT 1 : Ridge Racer (PlayStation The Best) [SLPS-91001]
    Dumped with IsoBuster
    Converted with CUE2POPS v1.1
    According to CodeBreaker, all audio tracks start and end correctly.
    Built-in BIOS, no boot problem.
    SCPH-1000 BIOS, crashes after the SCE logo (don't know why... Perhaps it's because the game doesn't have a SYSTEM.CNF and boots from PSX.EXE...)
    Unplayable because of the glitches :
    [​IMG]
    I'll dump my PAL disc with CDRWIN and see how the audio tracks play...

==========================================================================

EDIT 2 : The PAL Ridge Racer (SCES-00001)
    Dumped from a CDR, with CDRWIN

All audio tracks were playing fine:encouragement:.
    The integrated PAL to NTSC patcher did patch a wrong thing. The vertical position didn't change and SFX are mute.

I cannot do more test at the moment...

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  17. ElPatas

ElPatas Spirited Member

Yes thats what i supect when i see the different result, i played a lot the Special Edition and never
    i got a crash, while Wipeout 3 crashes in a few seconds after start a race.
    In theory are the same game with the same engine, Special Edition have courses from previous Wipeout games renovated with the Wipeout 3 engine.
    I can send you the two sles of Wipeout 3/SP by pm if you like see them.

That's what i imagined, it's a pity, but well you made a great job making a big step, now more games
    works and the emu increased compatibility, who knows in the future.

@Blueheaven i confirm the same result what have krHACKen, i tested the NTSC-U version
    (SCUS-94300), in-game there is no SFX, audio CD tracks works fine, but the game is
    totally unplayable due to the heavy graphical errors.

Also i tested this two more games:

Gran Turismo PAL: Works fine, it have few slowdowns in certain points of the courses more noticeable in replays, is the same result as all the previous versions of the emu.

Wipeout PAL: The first Wipeout in PAL version freezed in the intro with pops-00001, now
    works, in menus the audio CD tracks works fine, but the SFX sounds glitched and noisy all
    the time, when you start a race the tracks are mute probably caused by the continuous
    error with SFX which at last makes crash the game.

Regards.

18. blueheaven

Thanx for testing those games, too bad the RR games have their graphics messed up :(

A very long time ago i completely rebuild RR, the US version (to get the audio tracks working on my PSP).
    I have an image of that pre-build, could one of you test that image?
    Compressed, it's just 1,4MB and uncompressed (.bin format) it's about 62MB.
    To be clear it's just an image without the audio tracks, no .cue file.

pm me if you want to try it.

19. DaSA

DaSA Robust Member

krhacken, thanks a lot for your work. I cant report nothing, as I cant use KELF version.

Sorry buddies, but what does SFX means? (nooby question Iam affraid :rolleyes-new:)

20. blueheaven

SFX = Special Effects, in other words the game graphics. Wiki :)
    edit: it's Sound Effects i just learned :encouragement:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013