[PS2] POPS stuff & POPStarter

Discussion in 'Sony Programming and Development' started by krHACKen, Apr 10, 2013.

1. AlGollan84

AlGollan84 Spirited Member

FR : Merci beaucoup à vous. Toute la communauté "POPStarter" en sera informée et pourra en profiter. Encore Merci à vous. A bientôt sur les listes HDD et USB.

EN : Thank you very much. The whole community "POPStarter" will be informed and will enjoy. Thank you again. See you on the HDD and USB lists.

Algol, "the French Papy" of POPStarter.

2. arkl1t32

arkl1t32 Member

unfortunately no, this doesn't solve the problem even if i set 99, it can find POPS folder and load emulator (i've turned on debug text to see what is wrong, but everything was ok), after loading POPS it randomly crashes and go back to the PS2 menu, i've checked cluster sizes from my pendrive (4KB) and USB HDD (32KB) then changed cluster size in HDD from 32KB to 4 KB and after fast testing it works ok so probably this was the source of random crashes during load.

AFTER LONGER TEST it still crashes randomly, regardless whether it is krHACKen's or Delcro's version so probably my USB HDD is baaaad :<

I've tried 3 ways, dumped my scratched disc, didnt work so i've take image from... yes i know... internet... and same thing, so tried NTSC version, still same.
    I'm using SCHP-77004 but i'll try later on my SCPH-39004 but i dont have NA so it probably wont work at all. I didn't used different bios so i'll try that. About my USB HDD as you said it's probably not good

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  3. iCEQB

iCEQB Peppy Member

Just tried it on a PS3 for the lulz of it.
    Interestingly it went right back into the XMB ... I made the experience that PS2 software that doesn't work usualy stays at a black screen or locks up the PS3 completely.

Maybe one day ... :D

4. AKuHAK

AKuHAK Spirited Member

There are 2 possibilities:
    1) Devs didn't use this usbd.irx by default.
    Maybe it is useful to add quick search for usbd.irx on memory card before injected modules load.
    2) Devs didn't use latest homebrew ps2sdk which contains some fixes for PS3 mode.

some future thinks:
    * Is it possible to use one VMC set for all games?
    * Multitap support. As I understand it is possible to play through multitap (at least i can). But there is no way to activate it ingame, it is still possible to play only first 2 joypads.
    * What about integrating gsm0.38 and ps2rd section into popstarter code like it was implement in OPL?
    * {Fantastic dreams} Is it possible to add GTE Widescreen hack into emulator?

5. iCEQB

iCEQB Peppy Member

I just tested an edited build with debug messages enabled.
    POPStarter can't find mass:/POPS, so yeah, the USB drivers are broken / not compatible with PS3.

Is there a way to inject it into the ELF ?

6. emuler

emuler Rising Member

Just tested 25 legit backups and I'm amazed with its performance. I had an 80% of success at running .vcds (only 4 games didn't boot, but consider I not messed with compatibility modes yet) Even some japanese games wich doesn't work with epsxe/pcsx-r DO WORK with Popstarter.
    I will post my results on official list after a bit more testing with compatibility modes.

I have some doubts with IdentRip... I didn't pay attention when it came out due to not being able to make Popstarter work, but if I'm not mistaken this tool is to improve future releases. How to procedure? I understand this: if you manage to make work some problematic game, drag it to IdentRip and submit the .khr file to the author... is that easy?

7. DaSA

DaSA Robust Member

You should be able to test WS codes now. It should be possible using OPL with ps2rd integrated version. You can find some WS codes for PS1 games here : http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-PSOne-Widescreen-Patches
    Mastercode for POPStarter is 902377F4 0C0902EF.

Cant test it myself, I dont now how to convert PS1 to PS2 codes. :/

8. AKuHAK

AKuHAK Spirited Member

Oh thanks for tip but GTE is native emulator mode which just sets emulator into widescreen mode. Any game, any mode - everything is widesreened.

9. DaSA

DaSA Robust Member

OK, I did not know that. Very cool.

10. ElPatas

ElPatas Spirited Member

I tested two weeks ago one WS code with ps2rd, just the single elf file launched from uLE, not the
    one integrated in the OPL, and worked fine in POPStarter, i played the game Colin MCrae 2.0 (USA)
    in widescreen.

But overall the process is nothing good, first there is only a very few ws codes for psx games,
    you need convert them to the PS2 format, set the config files each time for each game
    including the name of the elf launcher in the configuration of the ps2rd.

And the GSM not worked with ps2rd, freezed in the moment of load the codes, and for
    me the GSM is nice and essential for use with POPStarter.

Also the IGR (L1+SELECT+START) do not works with ps2rd, the screen becomes freezed
    when i used it.

Long process and plenty of problems, i think the best way for WS is force it in the way
    what says AKuHAK with the GTE Widescreen hack forcing all the games like in the pc emu,
    but this is really a dream.

I don't know if the source of this hack is available, and in this case if can be possible
    use it with this emu.

Best regards.

11. DaSA

DaSA Robust Member

Yeah, I completely agree. But well, remember the times when we had to hexedit the EXECUTE.ELF in order to include partition name inside it ? :D

12. AlGollan84

Hello ElPatas.

Je remarque avec plaisir que vous utilisez "GSM" avec POPStarter. Pourriez-vous m'indiquer la version de GSM que vous utilisez (si elle est différente de celle en liste) et quels sont les jeux qui ont bien fonctionné avec. Les listes HDD et USB manquent cruellement de ces renseignements.

Merci de votre compréhension et à bientôt. Vous pouvez me contacter en Mail Privé si vous le voulez, vous connaissez mon adresse privé.

Algol.

I note with pleasure that you use "GSM" with POPStarter. Could you tell me the version of GSM that you use (if different from that list) and what are the games that have worked with. HDD and USB lists are starved for information.

Thank you for your understanding and see you soon. You can contact me by Private Mail if you want to, you know my private address.

Algol.

13. ElPatas

ElPatas Spirited Member

Yes, of course, i remember it well, and thanks to krHAKen for continue with the project,
    time for a good vacations.

I use just the one which appears on the list, the 0.23x, because is the only one which shows
    well the psx screen and which can save the configuration.
    I not used it lately but normally all the games works.

Best regards.

14. GXB

GXB Active Member

Here's my compatibility report (POPStarter r13 WIP2, USB stick(16G Kingston), slim PS2 77006):
    Tenchi o Kurau II: Sekiheki no Tatakai(SLPS-00203,aka warriors of fate): no SFX. Mode 1,2,5 could not fix it, mode 3 crashes POPS. So no mode can fix lacking SFX. Same results as Street Fighter: The Movie(SLUS-00041).
    Akumajou Dracula X: Gekka no Yasoukyoku(SLPM-87328, aka Castlevania: Symphony of the Night): Mode1 or Mode 2 can fix sound issue to some degree, but game still crashes if you put aside controller for 10 minutes.

15. GXB

GXB Active Member

I injected your images to POPS successfully with minor modification. English and Chinese ppfs are included in my 7z file uploaded.
    I have no idea how to pack ELF to PAK, so ppfs for POPS.ELF only.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  16. Nad SK

Nad SK Member

17. Tao Pai Pai

Tao Pai Pai Member

@GXB

Could make a ppf with this image POR_BG.png

18. AKuHAK

AKuHAK Spirited Member

Why did you need ppf images? Just copy IGR_BG.tm2, IGR_NO.tm2 and IGR_YES.tm2 into POPS folder and popstarter will use it instead of integrated one.

GTE Widescreen hack source

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  19. GXB

GXB Active Member

Tao Pai Pai, here it is.

Attached Files:

20. AlGollan84

Bonjour.

Avez-vous fait la demande en cliquant sur le lien ? Dès que j'aurai reçu cette demande, je vous enregistrerai immédiatement. Ainsi vous pourrez contribuer à cette liste en donnant vos tests par l'intermédiaire du formulaire.

Merci de votre compréhension.

Hello there.

Have you made the request by clicking on the link? Once I have received this request, I will register you immediately. This way you can contribute to this list by giving your tests through the form.

Thank you for your understanding.