[PS2] POPS stuff & POPStarter

Discussion in 'Sony Programming and Development' started by krHACKen, Apr 10, 2013.

1. dumpkin

dumpkin Member

Hi all! Long time listener, first time caller:

To my surprise and amusement, I've found that the imbNES (It Might Be NES) emulator for PS1 not only runs in POPS, but it runs better than any of the NES emulators for PS2 (with imbNES itself running under emulation.) Hilarious!

The tragedy to this comedy, however, is that the key combo to return to the ROM list and save your game is the same as the POPS combo (L1+R1+Start+Select). Kind of makes the whole thing pointless.

Any clue how difficult it would be to modify the key combo in either emu so that they both play nice? The ability to just disable the combo in POPS would also be acceptable if that's possible.

Thanks for your hard work, krHACKen!

2. DaSA

DaSA Robust Member

POPS's IGR combo is L1+R1+Select so its not the same as imbNES :) Very cool finding. What are the other valuables homebrews on PS1 ?

3. dumpkin

dumpkin Member

Though it is not the same, it will still override the imbNES combo as the same keys are being pressed.

As far as other homebrew, there is nothing else that doesn't already have a better PS2 counterpart. imbNES is the exception.

http://www.zophar.net/consoles/psx.html

There is also a Master System emulator by a group called PISSTEAM but I have not heard great things (go figure).

4. ElPatas

ElPatas Spirited Member

Okey, at last after a lot of hell of tests i have it working.

First i tried the sbi file with ePSXe with my old savegame and what's my surprise that
    not worked like in POPStarter, then i started a new game without using a savegame
    in ePSXe and in POPStarter and then worked.

This means that the problem was with the savegame, after start a new game in POPS
    i saved the game, and starting a new game using my new savegame then works fine
    always.
    I don't know what can be happened with my old savegame, maybe is not well copied
    to the HDD? or you can't use a savegame made with another image? or maybe
    the LC protection acts over the saves?
    Well, the question is that the trojan file works.

I tested the PPF patched image and not worked with my new savegame.

Now the question about the problems with the music.

There is two noticeable problems, one in which if you pause the game with the start
    button the music have a continue slowdown.

The other one is in a two points of the song very near between them where it
    becomes glitched, the fading out what you show in your video.

The song music is very long and you need wait a lot of time for arrive to this
    two points of the song where occurs the problem.
    Don't go to the second level because then the music changes to the one
    of the second level, and if you return to the first level (the change is in the bridge
    of the mexican) then the song of the first level starts again from zero.

Then i tried the modes:

Mode 1: Don't fix anything
    Mode 2: Breaks the LC crack
    Mode 3: Breaks the LC crack
    Mode 4: Don't fix nothing in the the fading out
    Mode 5: Don't fix nothing in the the fading out
    Mode 1 + 4: Fixes the music in the pause menu but i experienced two freezes of
    the game in the points of the fading out.
    Mode 2 + 4: Breaks the LC crack
    Mode 4 + 5: Fixes the music in the pause menu and fixes a lot the fading out,
    remains a little of time, the music never disappears, waiting a little more
    the glitched sound disappears and all continue working fine.

Its not perfect but Mode 4 + 5 is the best combination, you can try it.

About the game Jackie Chan maybe the problem is the savegame, i attach
    my savegame for you can try it with the game patched with Paradox patch.

Best regards.

Attached Files:

5. GXB

GXB Active Member

Thank you in advance. That would help a lot. But I will wait for the next POPStarter version with USB support first since it is greatly time-consuming to copy PS games to internal HDD.

6. GXB

GXB Active Member

imbNES V1.32 is open-source, if anyone who knows MIPS ASM, then he can compile another version with key combo modified. However, imbNES 1.33 WIP is not open-source.

7. AlGollan84

AlGollan84 Spirited Member

Modifications/Ajouts aux listes --- Changes / additions to the lists

Bonjour toutes et tous.

J'ai récemment modifié le contenu des colonnes des deux listes (HDD et USB). La colonne ajoutée concerne le type de Disque Dur utilisé (IDE ou Sata) dans une PS2 pour la liste HDD et de même pour la liste USB qui paraîtra bientôt.

Le but de cette colonne est d'aider krHACKen (ainsi que tous ceux qui le voudront) à comprendre la provenance des problèmes qui peuvent se poser avec les différentes interfaces qui peuvent équiper les PS2 en interne tout autant qu'en externe.

Je demande à tous de bien remplir cette colonne par le formulaire (case à cocher) surtout lorsque la version USB paraîtra en Public car il existe de nombreuses façons de lancer un Jeu PS1 sur diverses interfaces externes.

@ ElPatas : pouvez-vous mettre à jour cette nouvelle colonne de la liste HDD s'il vous plaît ... Merci de votre compréhension.

Bonne journée

Hello all.

I recently changed the content of the columns of the lists (HDD and USB). The added column for the type of HDD used (IDE or SATA) in a PS2 HDD list and even the USB list to be published soon.

The purpose of this column is to help krHACKen (and all those who want) to understand the origin of the problems that may arise with the various interfaces that can equip the PS2 internally as well as externally.

I ask everyone to fill this column with the form (checkbox) especially when the USB version is published in Public as there are many ways to run a PS1 game on a variety of external interfaces.

@ ElPatas: can you update this new column in the HDD list please ... Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards.

8. ElPatas

ElPatas Spirited Member

I use only a IDE HDD with the official IDE NA, in my opinion will be best advice the
    people to use only the IDE HDD with the official IDE NA, because is the
    only one which is always safe and reliable (talking about the internal HDD).

Is well know that the SATA HDD's connected internally with the clone NA's or
    other types of adaptors causes freezes and problems to the games and
    to the HDD itself.

@Algol i don't have time now for update this type of data on the list,
    you can update this data on my reported lines yourself if you like.

Best regards.

9. nonosto

nonosto Intrepid Member

Dear

How to reassembled some of CD in one VCD for postarer run completely multi CD game like metal gear solid and final Fantasy IX please?

Thanks

Edit: after search it seems in dev, no solution today

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  10. GXB

GXB Active Member

You can use MemcardRex to convert VMC to EPSXE memory card file and change disc on PC with EPSXE.

11. ruffonetas

ruffonetas Member

I remember there is an option to run CTR NTSC in EPSXE the name is spu irq hack, fix the freezes in the logo, I dont know if its the same problemin popstarter.???

There is a hope that the parasite eve 2 ntsc work someday..??? (i love this game)

you could create an special ELF(launcher) to share the VMC for example, Resident evil 2 disc 1 y 2 share the same directory and VMC

sorry for the lack of courtesy but this damn google translator is terrible

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  12. spyro

spyro Member

I completely agree with ruffonetas.. I love a lot parasite eve 2 too...
    There may be a way to make this game working?
    Thans and best regards

13. dumpkin

dumpkin Member

I created a set of replacement IGR images, XMB-style. I was not, however able to open the YES/NO images in my editor and when I saved new ones from scratch, they did not display when I tested them, but the background image works. Maybe someone who knows what they're doing would like to take a stab at finishing it and maybe adding that XMB button glow to YES/NO instead of my lame "select box".

Also if anyone knows how to disable the IGR for a game please let me know.

IGR_BG.PNG

Attached Files:

14. krHACKen

krHACKen #CNNisISIS

POPStarter Revision 13, WIP 02, 2014/08/22

POPStarter Revision 13, Build Date : 2014/08/22, WIP 02 PUBLIC RELEASE
    Download Mirror 1
    Download Mirror 2

Where to download POPS ?
    You may find a few download links in the Pastie 9500118.
    If you can't find the Pastie, Google this (including the quotation marks) : "POPS.ELF"+"IOPRP252.IMG"
    Newcomers, the files you need are the POPS decrypted files, not a POPS-00001 ELF or the thing that is called EXECUTE.ELF.

Where to download CUE2POPS (the utility that converts game dumps to the POPS format) ?
    Check the first post.
    The recommended CUE2POPS version, at the time POPStarter Revision 13 WIP 02 is released, is v2.0.

You want to install and run your first USB game before reading/translating the annoying documentation.
    [​IMG]
    1) Create a directory named "POPS" in the root of your USB drive;
    2) Copy POPS.PAK (which is part of the POPS package) in that "POPS" directory;
    3) Copy Delcro's PFS Wrapper PFS_WRAP.BIN (which is part of the POPStarter package) in that "POPS" directory;
    4) Copy your converted game (the VCD file you made with CUE2POPS) in that "POPS" directory;
    5) Rename the POPStarter ELF as XX.TheNameOfYourGame.elf;
    6) Run the ELF you've just renamed;
    7) Read the bloody documentation.

The folder you see in that screencap (Jackie Chan Stuntmaster (SCES-01444 PDX)) is a game VMC directory, and it's created by POPStarter the first time you run the game.
    XX.Jackie Chan Stuntmaster (SCES-01444 PDX).elf is the POPStarter ELF I've renamed. See the XX. prefix ? It tells POPStarter to run in USB mode (important !).
    Jackie Chan Stuntmaster (SCES-01444 PDX).VCD is my CUE2POPS converted game. The .VCD extension of the file must be in CAPITAL LETTERS.
    PFS_WRAP.BIN is the module which allows you to play your USB installed games, the PFS Wrapper, developed by Delcro. A copy is included in the POPStarter package.
    POPS.PAK is a compressed archive that contains the POPS decrypted files (for faster loading), $ony copyrighted, do not repost that file here.

15. spyro

spyro Member

thank you very much, krHACKen...
    you are the best!!

16. Subaru

Subaru Newly Registered

POPS & IOPRP of the wip01 are the same for the wip02 ?

Edit: Yep, they are. :D

/thx for all. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  17. krHACKen

krHACKen #CNNisISIS

You're welcome.

Yes they are. No need to re-download/replace them.
    Since these are original POPS files, I believe they'll remain untouched for the entire POPStarter 13 lifespan.

18. emuler

emuler Rapidly Rising Member

Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy?
    OMG.gif
    Thank you very much Krh, for your exhaustive work to bring such piece of homebrew in time to play on summer. And thank you very much to Delcro too, for allowing Krh to add the wrapper. There's a long night overhead, i'll report my results tomorrow :D

19. AlGollan84

AlGollan84 Spirited Member

FR : sur la liste, je vous prie. Je sais que vous l'attendiez beaucoup cette version avec USB intégrée. Je vous félicite pour votre patience et vos prises de position quand il le fallait. Bravo à vous "emuler". A bientôt.

EN : on the list, please. I know you were expecting much this version with integrated USB. I congratulate you for your patience and your positions when necessary. Congrats to you "emuler". See you soon.

Best regards.

20. Waats

Waats Member

Thanks kHn for this awesome release. I won't have time to test it until this week end.
    I made a quick tutorial on how to transfer you VCD files way faster with pfsshell than with USB/Ethernet for the HDD users.
    You may add this in your first post, or just give a link to this post.

You deserve to rest a few days and wait for feedback.

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2015