[PS2] POPS stuff & POPStarter

Discussion in 'Sony Programming and Development' started by krHACKen, Apr 10, 2013.

1. ElPatas

ElPatas Spirited Member

Many thanks for your hard work when i have time i test it.

2. blueheaven

blueheaven Spirited Member

With a PSP/PS3 running POPS (official) you have some extra settings when pressing the HOME button (off-course this button is not available on the PS2 controller).
    - Quit/Pause Game, Controller Settings, Memory Card Utility, Software Manual, Reset Game and;

Other Settings: Screen Mode, Black Level Adjustment, Volume Adjustment, Disc-Load Speed.

I'm interesting in Screen Mode, it has the following options: Original - Normal - Zoom Full Screen - Custom (= manual adjust H+V size).

Is it possible to implement screen mode when using POPS on the PS2? Doesn't have to be that advanced :)
    The reason i'm asking this is because the PS1 games don't look that good on the big screen :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  3. blueheaven

blueheaven Spirited Member

I think that's a CFW problem, when you attach a headphone to your PSP the sound is ok, those multitrack games have no sound through the speakers (with later FW revisions).
    There was a change indeed, before FW3.10 they used the mediaengine for the sound (meaudio.prx) after that it was changed.

For the POPS bios, coldbird released a simple prog to extract the bios from a decrypted pops.prx only for FW 3.02.
    I have zero coding knowledge, so i have no idea how to code this to extract a bios from other firmwares, maybe someone finds this usefull (source and exe included, no $ code).
    It should be possible to run the extracted bios in an emulator, but i never got that working.

Attached Files:

4. vash32

vash32 Spirited Member

Wow! Great work krHACKen, I'm going to try this out as soon as I can.

Thanks for all you time in making this and I'll be happy to give any info of any test/try outs.

5. LocalH

LocalH Spirited Member

I just want to say that not everyone was stupid enough to install that HDD image with the POC2 on a big drive - I myself threw it on a 40GB drive I had lying around :)

6. AKuHAK

AKuHAK Spirited Member

Oh I get your mind. I just wanna ask - can it use bigger drives with errors but still using it. Other words - does it ignore anything after 137Gb limit or try to read/write in other HDD places in the same time (some kind of "broking" hdd)...
    Great news ))
    Oh I saw it )) But I dont really understand what does it mean )))
    Oh just use other work - there is no need to do it again. Just check the link (Yeah Russian hackers...) And yeah bios can be found there. Google code sites isn't restricted for posting?
    Im not sure but it seems that all firmwares uses one bios with krHacken's CRC.
    NP your English is much better neither mine ))) I do not want to offend anyone but i know very (I mean VERY) little amount of good hackers with native English... But this is some kind of offtop yeah?

7. krHACKen

krHACKen #CNNisISIS

Thanks for joining and for your feedback. According to Redump, the game doesn't have CDDA tracks. It might be an emulation issue that CUE2POPS can't resolve.

I don't plan to add a GUI/menu to POPStarter. The dudes who worked at the making of a GUI couldn't implement screen adjust because poking the EE RAM does not work :
    When you mess up with SetGsCrt to set the video mode (in the emulator core), it just kiils the Vsync.
    When you adjust the X/Y-pos in the emu core, it obviously does not let you see the part of the screen that is cut off.
    PS-X code now :
    VMODE patch seems to have no effect.
    Y-Pos, even when the value is negative or 0, doesn't let you see the entire sceen (cuz the emu runs in NTSC).
    So I guess the only way to get the display properly centered is to tweak that thing directly with GS regs. GSM for the win.
    As for GSM, I definately don't want to embed it in my container, cuz it would violate the license and the author rights, and I'm not involved in the GSM development.

There are several ways to install the HDD OSD. For those who find that the raw copy of a HDD image is the easiest, there's a PROPER dump of the HDD OSD somewhere : a dump that contains $ony's KELFs, with SHWTRA region fix and my non-$ony HDD fix. Of course it doesn't work with large HDDs. The "experimental" dump claimed as a LBA48 mod has got a trojaned DVDELF and it's probably BootBrowser arg forced. And if vash32 did include the decrypted ELFs in his "repack" (I don't think so), then the decrypted ELFs have hotkeys to force the AEI region and to eject the disc tray. The LBA48 image = a test pile of crap.

Got a few questions. External POPStarter ELFs require the user to hardcode the partition name because uLe uses fakehost (so the emu cannot know which partition has to be mounted).
    Can FMCB execute ELF in PP. partitions ? And if yes, what arguments are sent at the user ELF execution ?
    Same questions regarding OPL.
    You know, if they pass the full path of the POPStarter ELF as an argument, I could make POPStarter builds that don't need hexedit interventions...

8. vash32

vash32 Spirited Member

Well that dump was made for a friend and all the ELFs in the "PP." partitions are just ELFs, as in no "KELF" (KryptoELF). it uses a raw-write of the "PATINFO.KELF" on all the applications partitions.

As you know its just your LBA48 test dump plus some preinstalled applications, just to let you know it was a request by a friend and if you like me to remove it. I can see it the guys who run the site will delete it for me, as its just a test and maybe a little crappy.

Also... I'm not sure what this is for.. maybe the LBA48 test dump? May I know why I "sucks"... I'm not doing anything wrong, am I? :concern:
    LOL.png
    Why is this hard-coded in you POPStarter? You known I was going to see it... right? Well great work on POPStarter... but by the looks of it.... you don't like me and maybe hate me? :moody:

9. krHACKen

krHACKen #CNNisISIS

... do you mean you made all the apps running with THE POC2 PATINFO.KELF !??? Seriously man, what the hell:dejection:...

People that actually downloaded and installed your dump would still wreck their HDD. It's a bit too late for that. Think about consequences before you hexedit and redistribute someone else's release without knowing how it's done and how it works.

This is hardcoded in EXECUTE.ELF for the reason that the user does not need to modify EXECUTE.ELF. Although, since you have the bad habit to botch my shit with your hexeditor, I was sure that you'd do it with EXECUTE.ELF. Now I got your attention. Project was cancelled because of your nukes. POPStarter is probably the last thing I will release to the outside world, then I'll go back to where I come from and put my stuff in the closed circle as well.

10. RandQalan

RandQalan Rapidly Rising Member

I have one ? why do you let him get you so pissed krHACKen on person and everyone suffers for it

11. krHACKen

krHACKen #CNNisISIS

It would be saving for everyone if vash deletes the stuff he made from others and my work, especially it the said stuff does have the LBA48/test/experimental or whatever it's called HDD OSD and hexhacked POC2 ELFs which constitute a major risk of data loss for the user. Up to him to decide if it's clever or lame to continue screwing others HDD and pissing devs off.
    As for the ban that weakly targets the incriminated HDD OSD image, I'll remove it in the next revision, since it doesn't work correctly and risks caused by the LBA48 mod were discussed here.
    Have you seen latest posts in the thread "New way of booting FMCB for people with SONY HDD" of PSX-Scene ? The scene's alive and moving guys, there's no need on earth to hexhack others releases to make "new" and "working" things. The best is yet to come. Just a little bit of patience.

Right, back to the subject. What about arguments sent by FMCB ?

12. RandQalan

Yea can not wait for the real deal FHDB :lol and Vash32 please respect the devs they are the life source for break threw on any scene

13. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

Hmm... is it really that sensitive to the VSync rate being changed? D:
    Never thought that Sony would code something as bad as that.

About FMCB: No, it cannot. It doesn't have HDD support. FMCB would just send the path to the ELF as the first argument, as per the standard.

14. vash32

vash32 Spirited Member

Nobody said this too me and I tested it a lot before uploading it... I only added some "PP." partitions of applications to it and that was all. I was just trying to be helpful for the ones who do not know how to add applications to it. If it wreck anyone's HDD its most likely from it being Experimental.

I said a long time before now if you like me to remove it... all you needed to was say the word and it was done, well anyway sorry for all this. I'll go see if the site guys will delete.

I never modify any of your .ELF or .KELF... I just like looking at them in a Hex Editor... I'm no coder so I not sure how to modify them. I made some partitions using them on HDD-OSD and that was all.
    I use your HDD-OSD on a HDD and added "PP." partitions and setup name/icon info by using Free McBoot to make KELFs.
    Also how was it me that got the POPS project cancelled... I ever modify it or anything... I only tried to give info on how to use it and you give me most of that info.

Well if you are "going back to where you come from and put your stuff in a closed circle" I'm sad too see that it was me... I respect you and I will not try to stop. Thanks for all the great work you've done and I hope you've be happy.

I respect them but by the time anyone lets me know I done a bad thing... its too late. I'm not see why adding some preinstalled applications to the HDD-OSD and making a new dump of it for someone to use is a bad thing. I know the experimental one is experimental and I say so right on it.
    I showed how to use POPS and how to edit what was needed to use it for others and that was all, That's how you got to know was it not? How does that make someone cancel it?:moody:

Well by the looks of it, "all the devs hate me and I'm not 100% sure why." I'll just kill myself and stop trying to help other use HDD-OSD and POPS... as that's most likely why they hate me.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  15. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

@Vash32: Just giving you my 2 cents since I don't have anything against you:

But did you tell them there there was such a risk, and that the software in its current state was meant for power users?

The last thing any of us who release potentially buggy software will ever want is a swarm of new users complaining that their property was damaged by the software itself (Meaning that they didn't actually account for the fact that it might really blow up).

If you go onto the Windows 98 forums, you'll also learn that any 48-bit LBA patch is always initially taken with a pinch of salt... since a slight bug in it can mean that the user's HDD is totally trashed up.

I once trashed up my PC's HDD with HDLDump, and I can say that it was really NOT fun at all. All 300GB of data was irreversibly lost due to the extent of the erasure done by HDLDump.

If you ever get something from just anyone, please ask for permission before distributing their files... especially if its not released to the public or you had modified part if the release (What if your modification goes against the beliefs of the original author? It'll be bad because the author's name will still go along with your own modified release).

16. RandQalan

That is what I did when helping with sp193 unofficial FMCB and when he left me test SMAP TEST both were given for testing and until he left them to the public
    I keep them to myself so that he thought they were ready for public review :)

It is the way you released them not that you released them that probably made him mad
    Probably not ready for public testing

17. vash32

vash32 Spirited Member

Well I said it was Experimental just like him and I also never said his name on it. (I say it wasn't by me and I was just adding to it.)
    Also nobody say they damaged their HDD on the site I uploaded it on and they only said that it works and give thanks for uploading it.

So I not sure if its true of not but I know its risky software so maybe that's why.

18. krHACKen

krHACKen #CNNisISIS

Not only that he depacked, modified, then repacked my damn file, admitted to have written slaughtered POPS launchers to partitions. Also annihilated the project by posting bootlegs of the POC2 with the PSP POPS BIOS, and also published copies of f*cking PRIVATE messages I sent him. Private messages that explained him :
    1) How a n00b would use a hexadecimal editor;
    2) How to break the region lock and partition name barriers in POC2.
    Of course I didn't tell him to not copy my PMs, because it sounded obvious to me that a private message is a PRIVATE message. Later maybe I'd put a grotesque PM copyright notice in my signature, along with a warning about the use of $ony stuff in a 48-bit LBA HDD...
    Fuck, how can you guys don't understand our disapointment there. What was a discuss between him and I became teh official how-to of vash32's bootlegs and announced @ PSX-Scene. He embedded the POC2 files in a HDD image that fucks up HDDs and published it to the public without a bloody warning on that matter.
    As far as I'm concerned by all that mess, I understand why they've cancelled the project and I approve their decision. You're free to think we're selfish a**holes and that vash did nothing wrong but please, can we now go back in topic and leave out that drama.

EDIT : No nevermind, I had enough already.

19. RandQalan

k back on subject anything new since this release krHACKen BTW even thou you call your work on CUE2POPS_v1_UNPACKED.zip trash it is handy none the less makes it easier to get the games to work

20. krHACKen

krHACKen #CNNisISIS

I'm a bit ashamed of how I've coded it:excitement:. It could be better than this if somewone else want to put his 2 cents in it.
    Some readings for coders...
    A very instructive site 'bout the PlayStation and disc images that AKuHAK posted a link to :
    http://nocash.emubase.de/psx-spx.htm#cdromdiskimagescuebincdtcdrwin
    May help for LBA/MSF conversion and math :
    http://manilatodaypage.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/PB/INC1/cdioctl.h
    http://www.crazynation.org/PC/infodocs/CD_AUDIO.txt
    cue2pops.c : Line 301 shows you the structure of the POPS header, sorry for not defining struct arrays.