[PS2] POPS stuff & POPStarter

Discussion in 'Sony Programming and Development' started by krHACKen, Apr 10, 2013.

1. retrorgb

retrorgb Spirited Member

Hey, I'm sorry to come in here with such noob questions, but I was hoping for some clarity. In everyone's opinion, is compatibility and performance better overall when just using a mod chip and CDr's? I have HDloader on my PS2 and as long as I patch the PS2 games, I don't really run into any issues at all.

Also, is there a basic, step-by-step guide for installing POPStarter on a PS2 that already has FreeMcBoot and HDLoader installed? Every tutorial I found was really unclear and made it seem as if playing PS1 games via a PS2 HDD is more trouble then it's worth.

Any clarity on this would be appreciated.

2. kHn

kHn Rising Member

Sorry, I have not checked this. Because I found that the driver was also making the file I/O (even the open command) two or three times slower on POPStarter, not only on POPS. So I ended reverting back to the old drivers posted before.

Thanks very much for taking the time to try. As I wrote above, running POPStarter with the debug texts did confirm that the USB access was indeed terribly slower.

Perhaps it help to run games when compatibility mode 0x06 does not. Though it's not recommended to use a default BIOS.BIN for all your games, since kernel pointer changes could probably break my hax.
    PS2 BIOSes aren't supported, POPStarter cannot extract the PS BIOS off a PS2 BIOS expects a 512KB file anyway (runs POPS' built-in PS1 BIOS if your BIOS.BIN file is bigger/smaller than 524288 bytes). I vaguely recall to have reassembled the PS BIOS of my DTL-H50002... it was a pointless experiment.

Zero Divide right ? Well, games deal with VAGs in they own ways.
    Tekken v1.0 JP has no SFX problems. A lib update in v1.1 broke it.

I'll release the last build tomorrow, if no prob found. I'm testing it atm.

3. DaSA

DaSA Robust Member

kHn, AlGollan84 and Antonioks like this.
  4. Jolek

Jolek Spirited Member

So quick! I was hoping that you'll give us more time for feedback, complains etc
    if something will be wrong. [​IMG]
    Unfortunately this will be the LAST version, so have as much joyfully life in real as much as you can.

kHn likes this.
  5. dekkit

dekkit Member

Too soon :(

Are there any plans to release the source code with the final build. So someo e in the scene can fix any further bugs found?

It would be a shame if this became another snes station (great app, but difficult to maintain/ provided future bug fixes without source).

47iscool likes this.
  6. englishl1989

englishl1989 Member

Please please please release the source so the rest of us can keep it going.

I am happy to continue the development of popstarter as I am sure other developers are. Surely that will benefit the scene in general !

Chagosan, dekkit and 47iscool like this.
  7. deba5er

deba5er Member

@kHn

I'm sorry that you can not look into the GTE, or have PS2 authenticated CDs with POPSTARTER, or fix CDDA problems, or fix POPS crashes on games, or add more specific fixes to games like Abes's Oddysee. The project is not short of things to explore, and until recently you were happy to explore.

From another forum: "I can not do anything about it without it having a negative impact on the development of anything else."
    I do not see anything you did that was negative. There is a fair amount of joy that it brought me, and I am sure others on this forum as you can see on the posts. We are a very small community, the PS2 scene. With 155 million PS2 sold, I guess there are still at least 200 so I think you have made at least 199 people pretty satisfied with POPSTARTER - or maybe more ;-). If you think the scene of the PS2 console is dead, look at the other old consoles as examples of returning interest in cycles.

I spent a lot of time assembling the PS2-Linux distribution that was used with the Mega Mans kernelloader, and I imagine that about five people (six if you include me) now use it. I did it for the most part for myself, but I am happy for every hour I spent on it. I was made to laugh for the "black and white shit on the TV" while I compiled, modified and recompiled Linux packages for the PS2 for hours, sometimes overnight. I'm glad I did, and I use it regularly (slideshow in 720p while internet radio plays). Yes, a PC can do it, but why not a PS2?

So if you leave because someone is doing bad things with your software, I'm sorry it stops you from doing something you like. If you have begun to hate the project for the time it takes away from real life, then take a break and come back when you have a new idea. I hope you will consider it because I am selfish and I really want to play more games with POPSTARTER as well as to see if several PS2 homebrews work better on SMB than with OPL using .VCD versions.

Much respect for what you have done. Do not retire yet, ignore the stupidity.

8. kHn

kHn Rising Member

POPStarter_r13_RIP_06.zip

Last build from me.

If you use VCDs made from proper disc dumps (that are recognized by POPStarter), delete all my old TROJAN files from your VMC folders. They're obsolete and I'm not even sure that they're still compatible, after all the beta/proto refactorings. The ones for CTR, Tomb Raider and Tomb Raider II are outdated, since new fixes are embedded in this new POPStarter build. The MGS cutscene skipping hack is no longer needed too.

9. 47iscool

47iscool Rapidly Rising Member

If you are truly finished with it, would you mind releasing the source code?
    Please?

I'm no dev but I'm sure others would be more than willing to work and update it.

Either way, thanks for all of the phenomenal work on it. It makes playing PSX games easy and enjoyable on the PS2.

englishl1989 likes this.
  10. Tupakaveli

Tupakaveli Newly Registered

This is a sad day for PS2 homebrew.

Thank you for your years of work.

I hope this whole episode will help others realise the harm being caused to this community like it has for me.

11. joseri

joseri Active Member

No meu PS2, não funcionou nem pelo SMB e nem pelo USB.

Translated by Chrome

On my PS2, it did not work for either SMB or USB.

12. Jolek

Jolek Spirited Member

What method you use to launch POPStarer (uLe\wLe, FMCB menu, through OPL)?
    Have you got "conf_elm.cfg" on your USB or SMB? If yes, please delete it.

After quick test I can ensure that latest version should at least boot.
    Tried Need for Speed: Porsche 2000, and Tomb Raider II, both games boots from USB.

Also remember to remove old TROJAN files.
    New fixes are embedded into new POPStarter.

13. englishl1989

englishl1989 Member

+1

dekkit and 47iscool like this.
  14. cde

cde Site Supporter 2017

Thanks for another release, could you explain a little bit more about the new PS2CD/CDDA disc types, and what it does please?

15. kHn

kHn Rising Member

The PS2CD/PS2CDDA thing mentioned in the txt file is for the gentlemen who play CDRs/imports, with the swap trick (no modchip).
    Normally they'd have to insert a pressed PS1 CD, then their CDR/imported game (the actual swap trick). But now they can use a pressed PS2 CD for the mechacon to auth the disc as "valid" (and to allow access to the data track), and then swap the PS1 CDR/import. POPS runs in PS2 mode and it uses CDVDMAN functions after all... Only useful to users who don't have a high TOC PS1 CD, so they can use a high TOC PS2 CD instead.

Also, compatibility from physical disc is worse than from HDD/USB/SMB. Games tend to freeze or not load. CDDA playback isn't supported. Swapping PS1 games with CDDA tracks creates even more reading/loading issues.
    So, playing game CDs is not recommended. Playing game CDs with swap trick is super-not-recommended.
    The command $MUTE_CDDA (in CHEATS.TXT) may or may not help to play swapped CDs that have CDDA tracks...

cde likes this.
  16. Otello

Otello Member

Thanks captain for your job in da scene! Not only a POPStarter development, but also a SUDC and all $ony DRM hacking. You won't be forgotten for sure! It was pleasure for me to read your technically informative posts about the PS2, DNAS, HDDOSD, etc. You've got a broad knowledge.

"Mission completed, sir", as it was written in old PDX cracktro by Mr. Bengali. :D

svotib, kHn, DaSA and 5 others like this.
  17. Vedita BR

Vedita BR Rising Member

Now i cant play over component cables, what do I do?

Edit: Alright, I already found out. Thanks ($HDTVFIX)
    ---------
    Is there any fix for Shadow Man dark walls glitch?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  18. Jolek

Jolek Spirited Member

For games like:
    • Shadow man
    • Duke Nukem: Total Meltdown
    • Tomb Raider III
    • Tomb Raider 4: The Last Revelation
    • Tomb Raider: Chronicles

You'll need to add "$COMPATIBILITY_0x07" in "CHEATS.TXT".

It'll "ruin the lights" but the walls\objects should be visible.
    You can also add $SMOOTH to filter the textures.

Since you're using also $HDTVFIX,
    your "CHEATS.TXT" might have these codes:
    Code:
    $HDTVFIX
    $SMOOTH
    $COMPATIBILITY_0x07

kHn, DaSA, AlGollan84 and 1 other person like this.
  19. karenjan99

karenjan99 Rising Member

guys now we can play ps1 games from cd? how to do this?
    im tried to swap discs but wthout succsess, here is my steps
    1. run ule
    2. insert ps2 cd based game
    3. swap with ps1 game backup
    4. run POPSTARTER.ELF from mass\POPS\
    it just rebooting ps2

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  20. kHn

kHn Rising Member

Your steps are correct, except 4.

POPSTARTER.ELF must be renamed as XX.YourGameName.elf. You can use a generic name, like XX.PS1CD.ELF for example. POPStarter checks the CDVD drive only if the VCD was not found.

XX.PS1CD.ELF will save VMCs to USB.
    SB.PS1CD.ELF will save VMCs to SMB.
    PS1CD.ELF (no prefix) will save VMCs to the internal HDD.

Make sure the VCD does not exist, so POPStarter queries the CDVD drive. Or else it will load the VCD instead.

@Otello thank you for your kind words.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
    Vedita BR, AlGollan84 and Jolek like this.