[PS2] POPS stuff & POPStarter

Discussion in 'Sony Programming and Development' started by krHACKen, Apr 10, 2013.

1. englishl1989

englishl1989 Member

Any chance of getting this tool added to the list of tools on this website ? I think my last request must have been missed due the size of the thread ?

2. 47iscool

47iscool Rapidly Rising Member

3. Vedita BR

Vedita BR Rising Member

whats up. Whats going on?

4. Nameless32

Nameless32 Newly Registered

Nothing, i think, seu verme maldito :p

5. deba5er

deba5er Member

Zero Divide works with 10/3 PROTO and $MUTE_VAB cheat. 7/3 PROTO and previous did not work. Keep up the great work, krHACKen.
    Duke Nukem Time To Kill also now works with 10/3 PROTO. Nice!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    kHn likes this.
  6. Jolek

Jolek Spirited Member

I've also tried new Proto 20171003.
    NFS: Porsche 2000 (SLES_026.89) seems to boot (didn't work with Proto 20170703 or in previous versions).
    Although I haven't tried this game too much.
    Rayman 2 (SLES_029.06) freeze after exit a teleport to The fairy glade.
    Die hard trilogy (SLES_004.45) seems to pass loading screen (game also should work with Proto 20170703,
    didn't tried other prototypes).
    As in changelog was wrote TR2 (SLES_007.18) has a problem with CDDA in cut-scenes due to animation slowdowns,
    in menus and in levels CDDA seems to work.
    Fighting Force (SLES_007.31) still have missing CDDA in main menu and in some levels.

I've also notice that in some FMV (eg TR2: Core Design intro, Die hard Trilogy: Fox Interactive intro)
    sound seems to crackle with Prototypes 20171003 and 20170703 (don't have other protos) through USB.

With POPStarter Revision 13, WIP 06, OBT 17 (2017/01/28) everything is fine.
    Maybe other USB driver has been added to these protos?

AlGollan84, kHn and truemaster1 like this.
  7. Jolek

Jolek Spirited Member

Today I've tried new PROTO_20171008, but unfortunately it keeps me kicking back to OSDSYS.

After few test, I've notice that crackle sound (in TR2 Core Design intro) exists even in Proto 20170210, so the first prototype.
    Out of curiosity I've even tried second realise (20170527), unfortunately with the same effect.
    Latest BETA (POPStarter_r13_WIP_06_OBT_20170128) plays FMV fine.

BTW crackle sound in Colin McRae Rally 2.0 FMV intro seems to plays fine in my slim SCPH-77004.
    With FAT SCPH-50004 plays fine with latest BETA (didn't tried other BETA versions) not with prototypes.

I forgot to mention that in CHEATS.TXT, I only add $SMOOTH and $HDTVFIX.
    All my test was done only through USB.

kHn, Antonioks and AlGollan84 like this.
  8. AlGollan84

AlGollan84 Spirited Member

Voici ce que vient d'annoncer krHACKen sur "metagames-eu.com". Il abandonne "POPStarter", il n'y aura plus aucune révision ni mises-à-jour.

Respects pour sa décision.

Je continuerai de mettre à jour les 3 listes officielles (HDD, ETH et USB) tant que vous, les contributeurs, continuerez de donner vos rapports de jeux sur celles-ci.

Un grand merci à vous et à bientôt.

Antonioks likes this.
  9. Jolek

Jolek Spirited Member

It's a damn shame that krHACKen has to abandon this project.
    Over the years it was getting better & better (more games can be played, more stuff was added).

I wish him the best.

Maybe one more rev will come out. [​IMG]

BTW latest and previous prototypes links can be found in POPStarter Wiki made by ShaolinAssassin:
    https://bitbucket.org/ShaolinAssassin/popstarter-documentation-stuff/wiki/proto.

Maybe someone can confirm my issue with latest prototype (kicking back to OSDSYS).

@AlGollan84 thanks for still have time to keeps contributing the list.

blueheaven, AlGollan84 and Antonioks like this.
  10. DaSA

DaSA Robust Member

Well, you know who is to blame for that...

Working here - using uLE_kHn. Some conf_elm.cfg crappola in your setup ?

BTW, I noticed few days ago you had a polish thread - you should have mentionned it to me... I added a link to it in the wiki. ;)

kHn and Antonioks like this.
  11. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

What? Really? D: Noooo

@krHACKen: Is the original motivation for this project, which is to explore, perfect and to make the Sony POPS emulator available for everyone, no longer a justifiable cause? I regret not following your work much (I just don't have much love for the original PS), but I really do admire your work from the sidelines.

If not, I'm sorry to hear that someone has caused you to make this difficult decision. I too, wish you the best for your future endeavours.

I feel that you should really just ignore the things that happen around OPL. Yes, there is somebody on a certain website who ruining things for everyone.... but he is really not worth getting upset over. He's stealing our dreams.

It's also possible that the only person who was perhaps really bothered by what he did, was me. But it was more because he went over my head and didn't discuss anything with me, but yet expected me to endorse his work (I really did not like his attitude). That was a long time ago. Nowadays, he's got his own playground and his own friends.

I sincerely hope that you will reconsider!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    svotib, kHn, Logi26 and 4 others like this.
  12. blueheaven

blueheaven Spirited Member

@krHACKen; sorry to hear you have to abandon this great project, I feel the journey is not finished yet :(
    Was about to dump my PS3 consoles in favor for pops/ps2 to dedicate my free time to pops.
    It's just now getting more interesting with the widescreen and 60fps development goin' on.
    Don't hesitate to contact me if you need additional hardware, i have some spare consoles, hdd's and networkadapters lyin' around...
    Btw i'm stil goin' to dump those PS3 consoles :D

kHn and Antonioks like this.
  13. ElPatas

ElPatas Spirited Member

Wait a second, the abandon is more caused by someone who downs the
    mood?
    I know how it feels as i experimented this in several occasions by someone.
    One needs determination and most times deal with some problematic things
    completely alone.
    I hope krHACKen reconsider his decision.

Completely agree, this emulator is great and he pushed it more beyond
    that nobody expected it from the start, my gratitude for all his work.

Again completely agree, the OPL as nothing to do with POPS.
    Do not pay attention to somebody and other people, just work only in POPS
    and enjoy working on it.

@krHACKen, i hope you reconsider your decision, in all this
    years not appeared nobody who worked like you on this emulator, and with
    your abandon surely there is no more developing on it, although i
    continue testing games and supporting this emulator, because i enjoy it
    as i enjoy PSX and PS2.

I support you whatever you do.

Best regards

kHn, AlGollan84 and Antonioks like this.
  14. Kmusho

Kmusho Member

Oh... Too sad news...
    POPstarter is a very promissing project.
    After USB implementation (thanks a lot Delcro!), I play many Psx games on my 16GBs USB stick!
    Thank you, krHACKen for this great
    project!

15. kHn

kHn Rising Member

Hello.

First off, I'd like to apologize for breaking rule 14 by creating another account. It's not meant to disguise myself or circumvent a ban. My former account (@krHACKen) isn't banned or restricted by a staff member. The thing is that MSN/Hotmail/Live/Outlook [whatever Microsoft] still rejects the two-step verification emails of the board, so I'm locked out.
    Been waiting patiently for email issues to get solved, but now I really need to post in here.

Thanks for you feedback, @deba5er & @Jolek .
    I'd like to know too. Though I believe that POPStarter has found an elm file on your USB drive or MC.

Ooooh, just figured that I have updated my PS2SDK the same day this proto was built ! So yes, you're probably right about the USB drivers.
    Please copy the old USB drivers to your MC and give it a try again. Have to be installed as,
    mcX:/POPSTARTER/usbd.irx
    mcX:/POPSTARTER/usbhdfsd.irx
    The prototypes mark timed delays after loading the USB modules, like betas do, so this set of old modules (from 2014 heh) is still "compatible" with POPStarter.
    If that makes the crackled sound disappear, I will embed them in the last final beta. ...POPS and its USB oddities...

I and the people @ the Ifcaro repository are.

Well, it's pretty much the same deal now. + he wants POPStarter (or me as its developer) to take place into a foolish and pathetic OPL justice warrior game, which will never end and keep polluting our projects, no matter how many fucks we give to that ELM pricks' "work", arguments and claims.

True. And after a long time dealing with, to see that we'll now have to endure his one-shot vaporware pranks and even more ELM antics... No serously, I'm done with all that bs.
    Good luck to the next gentlemen who'd work on POPS.

So... I didn't necessary come here to comment yet another matter built up by captain ELM, but to prep the last OBT build to be released (prototypes being not suitable for daily gaming).
    Beta 18, to be based on the 2017/10/08 prototype (with all its functions and fixes, minus some unwanted devel stuff I'll deimplement), nothing new, just a clean up.
    There's too many unfinished parts to release it as r14. For example, $WIDESCREEN has no render fix, $COMPATIBILITY_0x07 is incomplete and it kinda breaks the gamma. My disc swap function does not work as intended with some games, it's still not fixed...

I'm waiting for a report from @Jolek to know what I should do (regarding the USB drivers) before compiling it. No need to hurry, I don't plan to set the source code and my PS2 consoles on fire.

Edit : AND THANK YOU ALL for your feedback, your help and for caring about this project.
    :oops:I have not posted anything since february:oops:...

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    Spaceman, Vedita BR, pool7 and 9 others like this.
  16. Jolek

Jolek Spirited Member

Yes, LONG time ago I've made a "conf_elm.cfg" and it was there (on thumbdrive).
    Every time I've launched, no matter what prototype it was done through wLe.
    I've notice that only latest PROTO_20171008 will not boots (keeps kicking back to OSDSYS) when this file is on it.

When I remove this file, latest prototype works (boots).

How the..., how did you found it?
    Yes, I've made this topic\thread.
    Thanks for adding it to your wiki, I appreciate that.

After quick test with old USB drivers I've notice that in TR2 crackled sound disappear.
    To be 100% sure (test Colin McRae Rally 2.0 and other FMV's),
    I will need to test this old driver with my FAT console.
    I'm out of home, maybe in this weekend I can do it.

Unfortunately I still have problem with Rayman 2, Fighting Force and other games,
    but it's better to have something, that don't have anything.

Thanks for all your time, feedback and other little stuff that matter (for me).
    Best regards.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    Antonioks and kHn like this.
  17. kHn

kHn Rising Member

Thank you for confirming this.

Thanks. I hope this problem is driver related, cuz I've no idea what else it could be. Your quick test result is promissing :) .

Yeah, I was testing Rayman 2 just before canceling the whole thing. The UK version indeed crashes after the introduction of the second level. The French/German version does not crash here, I don't know why, not fair lol.

You're welcome. Thank you for your help in making the last beta.

Antonioks likes this.
  18. cde

cde Site Supporter 2017

Nooo!!! Popstarter is a great addition to PS2 home-brew, and krHACKen has always been helpful when I needed guidance for PS2/POPS HDD stuff etc. Don't let them get you down! Thanks for all your hard work, and good luck with your next project..

AlGollan84 likes this.
  19. blueheaven

blueheaven Spirited Member

About Zero Divide I run it from HDD , background music is ok but there's no sound from the commentator, is this the same with your test? And or you running it from usb or hdd?
    Edit: corrected question.

AlGollan84 likes this.
  20. smf

smf mamedev

who?