[PS2] POPS stuff & POPStarter

Discussion in 'Sony Programming and Development' started by krHACKen, Apr 10, 2013.

Tags:
  1. ElPatas

ElPatas Spirited Member

Hi krHACKen, and user found that the disc change not works with the game Final Fantasy IX.
    I checked the disk change with the game in the internal HDD and also in a USB device.

When you close the lid for loading the disc 2 is strange, because the game seems that likes
    to load, the light of the HDD runs fast and the music do not stops, but the screen remains black.
    The hang is not hard you can exit with IGR.

I provide here an VMC which have a saved game near the end of the disc 1 and a saved
    game starting the disc 2.
    Is for the spanish version of the game, (SLES-02969), (SLES-12969), (SLES-22969), (SLES-32969):

Best regards.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
    krHACKen, Jolek and AlGollan84 like this.
  2. klode

klode Newly Registered

Hi, I'm using POPSTARTER on my PS2. It works fine. However, I'm working on made SLES-01463 to work. I'm trying to set Compatibility Mode, with pop-ae. But the game freezes after 3 minutes of game. Same issue with deutch version and Ntsc version. The game is Apocalypse. I have added bin files into VMC cards of the game. Same issue. What's wrpng?

3. DaSA

DaSA Robust Member

German version is reported as working (with glitches sounds) on the USB CL / POPStarter OBT14 with no compatibility mode.
    - Which POPStarter version do you use ?
    - USB ? HDD ? ETH ?

4. Feanor

Feanor Newly Registered

Hi, I just wanted to say thank you to those working on POPStarter. :)

UniqueUserName, emuler and krHACKen like this.
  5. joseri

joseri Active Member

APOCALYPSE (SLUS_003.73)
    Testa este arquivo “POPSTARTER.ELF” e verifica se funciona. :)
    Descrição do “POPSTARTER.ELF”:
    - POPStarter_r13_WIP_06_OBT_20161120;
    - HDTV;
    - Offset $42F : POPStarter automatic compatibility mode activator - (0x00 == Do not enable anything).

Translated by Chrome

APOCALYPSE (SLUS_003.73)
    Test this file “POPSTARTER.ELF” and check it works. :)
    Description of the “POPSTARTER.ELF”:
    - POPStarter_r13_WIP_06_OBT_20161120;
    - HDTV;
    - Offset $42F : POPStarter automatic compatibility mode activator - (0x00 == Do not enable anything).

Link:
    Code:
    https://www.sendspace.com/file/kgxf40

emuler likes this.
  6. emuler

emuler Rising Member

Didn't checked Popstarter for a long time. Awesome improving work, you increased compatibility rate further?! \[TvT]/.'.'.'.
    Thanks a lot to @joseri for those hardcore list.

UniqueUserName likes this.
  7. joseri

joseri Active Member

O arquivo “POPSTARTER.ELF” acima, não é um novo. É a versão “POPStarter_r13_WIP_06_OBT_20161120”, eu só fiz uma edição hexadecimal, usando as informações do arquivo de texto “3-ADVANCED.TXT” do krHACKen. Só isso, nada mais.

Translated by Chrome

The file “POPSTARTER.ELF” above is not a new one. It's a “POPStarter_r13_WIP_06_OBT_20161120” version, I did a hexadecimal edit, using it as information from the krHACKen “3-ADVANCED.TXT” text file. That's all, nothing more.

UniqueUserName likes this.
  8. emuler

emuler Rising Member

I know, joseri ;) I actually meant "thank you for your pdfs with very valuable info for compatibility issues". I appreciate the time it must cost to you :S

9. jakdarklight

jakdarklight Active Member

hy guys ;)
    can anyone write a ps2 app ( an ELF file) that could be a ps1 game selector of popstarter ELFs?
    i mean, an app when all ps1 games are cataloged like OPL, but only for ps1 elf ;)
    I thought that because my ps2 turn on the hdd if i boot the file manager (ulaunchelf ) or opl, but i use the USB solution to play ps1-popstarter games, so it was really unnecessary turn on hdd, and the only way for don't do it is to active the manually hdd check on opl or create link a ps1 elf (per game) on ps2 menu. but with a new app you can select USB/HDD/SMB ps1-games (like OPL ) with automatic check, so quickly and optimally :) and also like opl you could add cover art ;)

I hope you will appreciate my idea :)

AlGollan84 likes this.
  10. Spec

Spec Rising Member

Hi, can anyone help me out?

I'm trying to install POPS loader with .VCD/.ELF games on the internal hard drive of the PS2 and load them via the newest daily build of OPL. Are there any recent tutorials? The only thing I could find was how to get it to work on USB or SMB, but nothing on how to get it to work on the internal hard drive. I have even tried tweaking it myself using the only methods I could find and I can't seem to boot it off the internal hard drive via the latest DB of OPL. I mean, I see the games in the ELF section of OPL, but when I load them I get sent back to the LaunchELF program. Any ideas?

Any help is appreciated.

11. Logi26

Logi26 Site Supporter 2014

Where have you got the .VCD files stored on your internal hdd? What is the partition name?
    If you are seeing the list of games in the OPL ELF menu, then your conf_elm.cfg must be ok.

12. DaSA

DaSA Robust Member

• hdd:/__common/POPS/IOPRP252.IMG
    • hdd:/__common/POPS/POPS.ELF
    • hdd:/__.POPS/YOURGAME.VCD
    • hdd:/+OPL/APPS/YOURGAME.ELF (your game launcher, renamed)

In conf_apps.cfg (mc?:/OPL) :
    Code:
    YOURGAME=pfs0:/APPS/YOURGAME.ELF

Now lets back on topic...

AlGollan84 and UniqueUserName like this.
  13. Spec

Spec Rising Member

@DaSA

Thanks alot brotha... you just made my day. You are the man. :D

14. psydefx

psydefx Robust Member

maybe its possible to modify opl andd the apps feature. dont know as ive never compiled ps2 stuff :/

15. krHACKen

krHACKen Enthusiastic Member

Please don't, gentlemen. As the OPL project maintainers and I are against the idea of advocating the illegal download of POPS and its use in OPL.
    Remember that OPL is meant to be a free and legal optical drive emulator; and POPS is something one can't legally acquire. So if an OPL feature screams "I'm designed to run POPStarter/POPS", that would ruin its original purpose.

But ya. POPStarter needs a damn interface to interact with:cool:.

16. jse

jse Active Member

Hello. I followed the wiki to set up POPS but it doesn't seem to be working for me.
    In have the files on my hdd set like this
    hdd0:/__COMMON/uLe_kHn.ELF
    hdd0:/__COMMON/POPS/POPS.ELF
    hdd0:/__COMMON/POPS/POPSTARTER.ELF
    hdd0:/__COMMON/POPS/IOPRP252.IMG
    hdd0:/__.POPS/Resident Evil 2 Claire.VCD

When I launch uLe_kHn.ELF then browse to my .VCD and try to boot it, I get the error "This file isn't an ELF." I tried renaming the file to RESC.VCD but I get the same error. I made the .VCD from an original game, I dumped it to bin/cue with imgburn, then used cue2pops. cue2pops said "this cue appears to be cdrwin format, do you want to fix" or somthing like that and I chose yes

So does anyone know whats up or how I can get it working? thanks

EDIT: Never mind, my .vcd extension was lowercase, Making it uppercase .VCD worked :)

17. Ticky

Ticky Newly Registered

I seem to be having some trouble getting POPStarter to cooperate when launched from HDDOSD; I’ve followed the instructions in the wiki, and have a partition (created with uLe_kHn) called “PP.CRASH_TWO” (Initially called “PP.Crash_Bandicoot_2”, but renamed to try to avoid issues with path length or case, to no avail, obviously) but whenever I launch the game, it seems to be given an extra “pfs” at the end of the partition name;

With debug enabled, I end up with my PlayStation halting with this output;

Code:
    POPStarter, Revision 13
    Build Date : 2016/11/20
     WIP 06 OPEN BETA TEST

* OLD LAUNCHER (FOR A SINGLE GAME DEDICATED PARTITION) *

Mounting hdd0:PP.CRASH_TWO:pfs to pfs0… FAILED
    Earlier in the process, I notice that argv[0] (the program name) is being reported as “hdd0:‍PP.CRASH_TWO:‍pfs:‍pfs:‍/EXECUTE.KELF”

Is this a sign that I’ve configured something wrong? I’ve used the “system.cnf” and icon stuff provided in the wiki article, and I have HDDOSD 1.00J, booting under FreeHDBoot 1.953. I’ve also tried both dropping the pfs prefix and reversing the slash in the BOOT2 line of system.cnf. The former causes the PS2 to (humorously) claim it can’t read the disk, and the latter seems to exhibit the same behaviour.

Hope someone can help out!

DaSA and krHACKen like this.
  18. DaSA

DaSA Robust Member

Really no clue... I followed my instructions and used the files I put online to see if I could spot a mistake in it, and everything seems fine. Also, OBT16 POPSTARTER.KELF (from CRT folder, did not test HDTV one) is working fine for me here...

It's documented here : http://psx-scene.com/forums/f19/new...l-access-hdd-over-network-113411/#post1056114

I can only suggest you to start over from scratch :oops:

19. krHACKen

krHACKen Enthusiastic Member

Apparently POPStarter fails to parse the HDD OSD argument. The wiki is correct and @Ticky did it right.
    Under investigation... Thanks for reporting.

EDIT : The issue is HDD OSD 1.00 specific. No problem with 1.10U :
    [​IMG]
    What the heck $ONY ?

EDIT 2: Tagging @sp193 and @l_oliveira :D
    [​IMG]
    ROFL.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
    uyjulian, Ticky, psydefx and 3 others like this.
  20. DaSA

DaSA Robust Member

Oh I see... I'm using 1.10U...