PS2 laser coil question

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by ASSEMbler, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Bloodr0se

Bloodr0se Spirited Member

Sorry I think I probably used the wrong terminology. Essentially is this the sort of problem that might easily be fixed by just replacing the laser?

2. l_oliveira

l_oliveira Officer at Arms

Yes, replacing the laser will cure the problem if there's no tampering done on the console board. It's very rare on slim consoles that a damaged optical pickup damage the mainboard. On older PS2s it can actually happen and then we have to replace the coils/motor driver chip.

Bloodr0se likes this.
  3. Bloodr0se

Thanks. I may have to return it anyway as this was sold to me as being in perfect working order so it all depends whether the seller wants it back or not. Obviously either way I want a refund. If he doesn't want it back then I'll take a quick look at the board and then order a replacement laser if everything looks OK.

Thanks for all your help.

4. voultar

voultar Rapidly Rising Member

I'm a believer in the Matrix PIC fix.

As a matter of fact, I came out retirement today to do this very system. It has a horribly worn laser. The PIC monitored the voltage and shut it down during an FMV test which was skipping like a mother..

Even if your laser is fresh and you're using good media, the laser will naturally wear after use. You're flirting with disaster if you don't employ some protection there. Burn a little code to a 12C508 and take the extra 10 minutes to wire it in.

It's been over a year since I touched one of these 'ole things.
    [​IMG]

turfster and Bloodr0se like this.
  5. Bloodr0se

Nice install. In my case it's all academic though because the seller wants the faulty v12 console back, obviously with him covering the return cost, and there seem to be enough v14's around that if I did need another then it wouldn't be too difficult to find one.

6. l_oliveira

V12s can be modded to use a harddrive. Perhaps that's why the seller would pay for it's return even though the console isn't worth much broken.

7. Bloodr0se

Possibly. It's gone back now though so he can do with it what he likes I suppose.

8. americandad

americandad Familiar Face

I got the replacement pickup today. But it's the wrong one. I ordered KHS-400C and got KHS-400B.
    Is that fine or does it have to be the exact same model?
    I got it to play CDs, but it doesn't play DVDs at all (games or videos).

Nvm, I requested a return. Just don't want to wait another three weeks.

Last edited: May 13, 2016
  9. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

Depending on what your console was configured for, it might not have worked. Even if it did, it might not have worked optimally.
    Hence if you (or anyone) wants to replace the optical block, it is best to get a replacement of the exact model. Without adjustment, you will be also hoping that the current settings will fit your new optical block (hence it is best to narrow the differences between the old and new optical block).

10. americandad

That's what I was thinking too, to be honest. That it'd be easier to set up the exact same model.

Last edited: May 14, 2016
  11. l_oliveira

12. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

He said the matrix pic fix, not the matrix modchip.

13. l_oliveira

Need new glasses then. ;)

14. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Just skimming, its easy done ;)

l_oliveira likes this.
  15. americandad

So, I got my money back and ordered this one http://ebay.to/294vLTP .
    Looks kind of refurbished and not *new* as advertised, but very well taken care of none the less.
    Reads DVDs/CDs out of the box, it only needed the pitch screw and white plastic piece (from the original pickup).

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  16. NeC5552

NeC5552 All your skullz are belong to us.

Speaking of PS2 lasers,I have this question:

So,I'm going to get a silver PS2,fat type (5000x,v10 likely) with a b0rked laser. The seller claims to be modded,and I can notice it's chip,due to the loads of games he had in a belly bag. (which I checked at a friend's place,he took the belly bag and he says it's useless,due to his PS2 being softmodded with FMCB,and those were meant for hardmod like Modbo etc.)

My question is - in the event the PS2 has a HD7 laser (and as far as I encountered they use HD7s,the only one with a KHS-400C was a satin blue hybrid PS2 - GH-026 (or 027?) board with v9 ROM),will a old (still working and rarely used ever since I got a slim which recently broke) HD7 from a dead v7 work in it,without a lot of modifications (the only mod I did to the v7's HD7 was replacing the laser's metal arm with a plastic one from some dead KHS-400x laser)

And the other question is - in the event I get the laser to work in normal conditions (assuming the v7's HD7 will work like a normal v9/10 HD7),will the Romeo fix prevent it from burning? Some say it will eventually burn (I plan using BMS and Traxdata 16x DVDs if ever needed,those are on par with Sony and Taiyo Yuden,frankly I had problems with Verbatim DVDs putting lots of stress on the lasers than any type of media - TDK,Traxdata,X-Data and Nivino)but some say that despite the slower loading (12v pin is fed 5v - this is what makes it last longer) the laser will last longer. That,and some strongly recommend using any point that DOES NOT have to do with the HDD/NIC 5v rail.

Thanks for reading this.

17. l_oliveira

You shouldn't fit the plastic arm on a 50K unit because the worm motor/mechanism in it isn't really designed for it. There's a good chance of the mechanism jamming due to that.

Curiously, the metal arm work properly on all units (because it is smaller and apply less pressure against the worm motor moving screw).

About the HD7, there's two kinds of laser diode in them. They require different eeprom settings but due to the most important setting (coils feedback and weight setting) matching perfectly it would mostly work decently in a "plug and play" way. You can tell if the HD7 is of new or old type depending on the flex PCB leaving the laser diode from up or lower side (older pickups with the older laser chip have the laser chip assembled upside down). Also all HD7 lasers with black plastic body are of the newer type.

18. NeC5552

Ok..so I just looked at the laser out of my old dead v7 - it has the old flex PCB (I can tell that by the flex being orange in color,newer HD7s have a green flex PCB) but it has a closed plastic body. As for the arm,it comes from a 400C,so I guess it should fit. Here are some pics.

Attached Files:

19. americandad

Horrible pics. Retake them with proper focus.

20. NeC5552

It's my phone's camera to blame. Focus works haywire,and it's pretty much a potato. I do have my old phone but it's fried.